CrazyBoards.org

Agression - Meds?

Onset for AD/HD symptoms is childhood, roughly about the time a child is capable of causing trouble... Most doctors will want a good amount of background information before deciding on pursuing the diagnosis and treatment.

I'm not entirely sure if I would be able to give enough background info. My parents wouldn't be much help, either - they're worse off mentally than me. I never acted out or acted bored in school from what I can remember - but I was (and still am) a nerdy little kid who really likes to learn stuff so who knows.

One common denominator is being on an SSRI the whole time.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking...

Is it possible that I would tolerate an MAOI better than something with reuptake inhibition? Like, assuming bipolar disorder is out of the question (which it isn't...but you know what I mean).

Wellbutrin really isn't the strong dopamine reuptake inhibitor many websites tell you it is.

That doesn't surprise me. If it were a strong dopamine reuptake inhibitor, it would probably be illegal in the U.S. Can't have too much fun, now.

If you are overly sensitive to increases, you'd really have trouble with methylphenidate or amphetamine.

Fun... What would be an alternative besides Strattera? I ask out of interest - I'm an aspiring psychopharmacology geek.

It does sound like you didn't do well with noradrenaline increases, but I can't even guess if that was made worse by being hypomanic at the time from the Lex ... or not.

I definitely don't have enough symptoms to qualify for a hypomaniac episode right now, nor did I when I first started Lexapro. I may have between the ages of 14 and 21... Or I could have just been a young'un from a broken home acting out.

It would suck hard if that doesn't work out, so you'll have to consider how much of everything you (and your husband) can stand.

I'll take depression and anxiety over aggression. Not because I like it better, but out of love for my fellow man.

DH says he's in it for the long-haul. Heh, he has no idea what he's gotten himself into.

Couldn't you just check your brain's user manual? I lost mine, but it probably wouldn't help any more than this post.

;)

I think my parents threw mine in the trash shortly after my birth... Too bad they don't issue copies...

I can't wait until diagnosis consists of sticking some tissue in a machine and after a few minutes, *ding* insta-diagnosis.

Is it possible that I would tolerate an MAOI better than something with reuptake inhibition? Like, assuming bipolar disorder is out of the question (which it isn't...but you know what I mean).

The TCAs would most likely be tried before the MAOIs. Some are strongly antihistamine (doxepin), some strongly noradrenergic (nortriptyline, desipramine), others hit multiple neurotransmitters (amitriptyline, imipramine.) I've seen a number of people show up here claiming they've taken every AD, none of them work, etc. yet they've never even heard of these meds. They can have nasty side effects and there's a potential for overdose, which is why doctors prefer SSRIs.

I've seen references here and there that do show that some depressed folks respond much better to MAOIs that to SSRIs or TCAs. Fiona's posted a bit about her experience, and the last I heard she's been fairly stable for some time now.

If you are overly sensitive to increases, you'd really have trouble with methylphenidate or amphetamine.

Fun... What would be an alternative besides Strattera? I ask out of interest - I'm an aspiring psychopharmacology geek.

It depends on where you live. Reboxetine/Edronax is available in some countries. Again, despiramine, nortriptyline, and protriptyline are mostly noradrenergic, as is Wellbutrin.

Archived