CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mghalt

"The only one that can help you is you"

My own experience with exercise has been mixed. It's been extremely helpful to me at some times in dealing with anxiety, miscellaneous ups, and anxiety+depression. A half-hour brisk walk can help a lot. More recently it hasn't been as useful. I've never had much luck in using it for plain depression, both because it hasn't made a noticeable difference when I'm able to do it, and because I'm often not able to go do it. I haven't had the same difficulty Karuna describes with negative thoughts about exercising; I usually have more social apprehension about not exercising - everybody knows it's my own fault I'm depressed because I'm not being a good person and exercising, etc - but that doesn't help me go do it.

This is kind of like meditation - it was incredibly helpful to me in managing anxiety for years on end, but I hit a time period where it stopped helping for a long time.

Yoga is fantastic for my back pain and muscle tone and flexibility, and I think it is a great idea for people in general, although I haven't found it to affect my mood.

I read about a study on depression and exercise that used a program to provide structure and support for people with major depression to exercise, and found that it was helpful, I think particularly in combination with meds. I think that's an absolutely great idea and I wish there were more such programs and that insurance would pay for them.

Making a habit out of exercising while I'm feeling good has helped but not solved my problems with motivation. Finding the right type of exercising for me, which is going for walks, has been very helpful too.

Karuna, I used to have to haul myself off the couch, and walk a mile roundtrip to pick up my son from school. If anything, it seemed like it made it worse, I would come home and crash for hours, and not be able to be functioning for the rest of the day. Exercise is fine and dandy when the meds are working, and the body and spirit are reacting.

Gotta agree with Zippy, unless you've been on that death couch, you just don't know.

Karuna, I'm sorry but I have to wonder if you have ever really been clinically depressed? You sound like my mother. That post was like nails on a chaulk board.

While I was working on my reply I was doing some basic searches, and there is a sense that there's more than one style of clinical depression aside from bipolar depressive phases and even psychotic depression.

I don't have much in the way of anxiety myself unless provoked - my "style" is more low energy, non-existant self-motivation, blunted affect, anhedonia, tendency to oversleep, over/under eat, etc. I exercised more at my lowest points than I do at my higher points because I felt marginally better and didn't really have anything else scheduled that was better to do.

I finally noticed that the reason I'm "getting away with" going to bed way too late is because I'm normally half asleep from mid-afternoon on. All my brain has to do by the time I hit the sack is catch up on REM sleep (which, being more interesting than my life, doesn't entirely encourage waking up)

One really good thing about exercise is that I'm awake enough to think about things more clearly.

Karuna, I used to have to haul myself off the couch, and walk a mile roundtrip to pick up my son from school. If anything, it seemed like it made it worse, I would come home and crash for hours, and not be able to be functioning for the rest of the day. Exercise is fine and dandy when the meds are working, and the body and spirit are reacting.

Gotta agree with Zippy, unless you've been on that death couch, you just don't know.

Yes, my medical notes state I was severely clinically depressed for a decade. Get off my case, Rabbit. I try not to post about things I have no experience of, because it does sound insulting. However I can speak for the personal benefit of exercise for severe depression even before the perfect med combo is fine and life returns to normality.

I can speak for the personal benefit of exercise

Then do that. Speak from personal experinece. That is exactly what most of us want to hear! I'm totally serious.

BUT, be aware that your choice of words does strongly look like blanket advice for all. Mostly because every sentence was begun with 'You'.

All forms of treatment vary enormously in effacy. I would have thought that exercise would benefit everyone due to the release of endorphins. Obviously by some posts this is not the case. Do we really need to have a wealth of experience to put our views forward? It doesn't matter if we write a thousand words of crap. If one word helps someone then it is worthwhile. Modern drugs help many people but they are not the be all and end all or nobody would be writing here. And neither is any other form of treatment. One of the major hurdles in curing an MI especially depression is to get them on the treatment merry go round and keep them there until something works and then making them stay on their treatment. To me exercise is possibly one of the most important. Even if it does nothing directly for the depression it will help in general health with the possibility of coming full circle and helping with the depression. I was told by professionals that if I gave up smoking it would reduce my anxiety. Bullshit! but anyway it was a step well worth doing for all the other beneficial reasons. Don't ever criticise anyone for giving good advice! You never know it might be the very thing that works for you, but if it doesn't at least it shows someone cares.

I'm so sick of hearing this from people. I got it again today from a cousin who, up until now, has been incredibly helpful and supportive. I called her a few days ago talking about my woes. I told her, "I feel more depressed." Her answer was "well take something for it." ;) Duh.

Then I got the lecture from her today that I "just need a routine" "get some sunlight" and "the only one that can make you feel better is yourself."

Then I was watching Discovery Health last night and a psychiatrist was on there and he had talked to a patient in the ER with mental illness and addiction. He said "well she's not in an acute psychiatric emergency so I can't help her. I'm afraid she just has a case of what us psychiatrist's call 'a sucky life' and we can't cure 'a sucky life'.

Ass.

People make depression out to be the simplest thing. Like gee, why didn't I think to just open the curtains, do a few loads of laundry, do the dishes, take the trash out, deal with the kids, and work 8 hours so I can feel better?

That's like the old wonderful line my mother used to give me. "snap out of it."

Heh.

Hey mghalt-

It seems your post ended up giving you exactly what you were upset about and didn't want.

I'm still hearing you . I share your frustration and anger.

I hope you can hear the support.

mrs l

( i can barely make it from the bed to the couch. tomorrow i think i'll run a marathon. :) )

OOOhh Kayyy. There is a group of people with the same beef. What seems obviously good advice to others is stupid and annoying to them. The obvious question is... What do you want people here to write? As Olga would say non here have a monopoly on truth. Even a professional doesn't know what is good or stupid to give you. They just have to try Everything until they find what fits you best. There's an old saying 'Ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer.

"I feel more depressed." Her answer was "well take something for it." cussing.gif Duh.

What crossed my mind was the possibility that this was a response of frustration. (I tried to give you good advice but you reject everything I say so I'll just respond with a dumb answer "Take something for it".) Maybe I'm right off with this, since I'm not psychic just psycho, but it's just what crossed my mind. Years ago several Pdoc's told me I needed to be a man and think "I'm not going to let this do this to me any more". Well if you reckon that didn't piss me off. Derr Do you tell a man with no legs to use his balls and get up and walk? These 'Professionals' are only succeeding in crushing my self esteem. But at least I was trying something by seeing them if only wasting some time. Another Pdoc told me that I was wasting his time because I disagreed with him. I replied "Yes, I think so! Maybe you should try another career". I didn't find any cures that day but I felt damned good.

Hi everyone, I forgot to subscribe to my own thread. Duh. Anyway, the problem here is that the cousin that helps me, is on Zoloft and is depressed herself. ;) So I don't know. I mean everyone has bad days, I'm trying not to dwell on her one comment. But it's really a catch-all sort of topic I wanted to bring up, which is that people think it's so simple to just shake it off and be happy again. My mom was like that and she was an alcoholic - to which I'd usually reply, "well if it's that easy, stop drinking." To which she would reply "you are a drug addict, just because yours are prescription doesn't make it not an addiction." grr. Couldn't win.

At any rate, exercise wise that's a no go. lol First of all, I'm almost 300 pounds. It hurts to get out of bed. Breathing is as much exercise as I can tolerate and frankly, I'm lucky I'm doing that as freakin depressed as I am.

I am one of those "dead on the couch" depressives who just can't fathom the idea of taking a shower, much less exercising. Well, add to the mix that I am the single mom of a 3-year-old and 1-year-old and I get more exercise than I'd like. lol

You know the stereo-type of a reformed smoker?

How they smoked for 20 yrs and then when they finally quit, they start preaching to everyone to just stop. Its easy. If I can do it so can you.

ok- you might say ,but think back 15 yrs when you were smoking 2 packs a day of marlboro reds. why didn't you stop then? if it was so easy and you could do it- why didn't you?

Its very easy to forget how awful we felt when we feel better. I am sincerely glad when people feel better- thats what we all hope for. And whatever makes them feel better is great- for them. I think it must take getting to a certain place in recovery where certain suggestions make sense - some work for some and others don't. I guess that's why they make more than one brand of anti-depressant.

I knew a guy in the hospital- so depressed he literally could not get up off the chair to go to the bathroom.and he was so out of it he didn't care.

Fast forward a year and he got an apt, a volunteer job , was running and swimming almost daily.

He started acting really bossy- telling everyone this is what they should be doing too.

I was truly glad that he was doing so well. but everyone was very annoyed with how superior he was acting. impatient for the rest of us to do everything he was doing.

I think everyone got so frustrated and angry with his preaching- it was like he had forgotten ( and maybe he had forgotten) what it was like and that only a few months before he was so depressed he was peeing his pants.

It was like finding his answer made him lose his compassion for what it was like for everyone else- and had so recently been like for him too.

Now I'm not implying that exercise etc are not of great help- they are. but in the depths of hell, you can't even hear these suggestions. they sound as hopeless as everything else. and coming from someone who's been there especially, sounds insulting. How could they forget what it feels like.

stop tring to fix it.

stop trying to cheer me up. and please stop telling me to exercise.when i can i do. right now i can't. all the self rightousness in the world is not going to work any better than a little thinking back to what it felt like, and having a little compassion for those who are still there. chances are the way these things go, you unfortunately will likely be back there again too. if nothing else- have a little compassion for yourself in those times.

thank you for saying exactly what I wanted to say... that I understand all of that stuff is helpful but when you are in survival mode, it's kinda hard to give a damn.

Like I went to the dentist, who chewed me out for not taking better care of my teeth and missing appointments.

MY TEETH??? I thought!!! WHO %$#%$# CARES?! I've barely been able to keep myself from downing every pill in the house with a bottle of vodka and you wanna talk about my oral hygiene? ;)

the dentist "chewed " you out. hahaha you are funny.

perhaps he would be able to as supposedly a trained professional- to wonder why you'd missed appts and were having trouble taking care of yourself. I consider my dentist like a doctor and i guess i'd expect a little more understanding.

I guess i'm learning that expecting understanding from most people seems to be a useless endeavor.

people suck!

seriously-

i'm concerned to hear about the thoughts of pills and vodka. thats a scary place to be. i hope we can be helpful. 9and as always keep that ER in mind if you need it its ok)

and thanks - i'm glad you understood what i was saying.

hi, mghalt

so many of us can relate to how you feel

I get no support from my other half at all

except for "all that stuff is bullshit"

just what you want to hear

(I sent a copy of that link to him - haha)

I am on the scale with the comments here

I do know that exercise can help (personal experience)

But then again - it's the actual getting up & doing it

that is the problem.

I have had a treadmill for about 4 yrs now

been on it maybe 10 times

Everyone I know is tired of hearing about my "problems"

which really just makes the situation worse

Good luck to you ;)

thank you for saying exactly what I wanted to say... that I understand all of that stuff is helpful but when you are in survival mode, it's kinda hard to give a damn.

Like I went to the dentist, who chewed me out for not taking better care of my teeth and missing appointments.

MY TEETH??? I thought!!! WHO %$#%$# CARES?! I've barely been able to keep myself from downing every pill in the house with a bottle of vodka and you wanna talk about my oral hygiene? ;)

dude i HATE that.

and dentists just don't get that when you're depressed brushing your teeth doesn't even cross your mind. fuck, getting out of bed is out of the question. dentists see oral hygiene as THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVAR and can not contemplate a reality where you just couldn't give a shit about your teeth (or anything else for that matter).

It was like finding his answer made him lose his compassion for what it was like for everyone else- and had so recently been like for him too.

It was interesting reading this thread...I agreed with everyone (odd)...but this line really stuck out for me...I don't think he's lost his compassion - I think he's feeling it more than ever. He's feeling well and he so desparately want's all of his friends to feel better too that he's espousing all of the things that helped him. Unfortunately, in his zeal, he's lost his ability to be empathetic...

...the thread was long but someone said it - you DO forget the pain - that's why women have more than one child...(I'm not being snarky here either). Human beings are predisposed to pain amnesia...if you had a friend in pain, you'd do everything you possibly could to help them out of that pain. Perhaps it's a matter of feeling so crappy when you're in the depressive "hole" that everything sounds like a platitude? That's how it feels to me - not that the person is being ignorant or isn't trying to help, but that I'm not well and obviously think everything everyone says sucks - even when they are making really good suggestions.

dude i HATE that.

and dentists just don't get that when you're depressed brushing your teeth doesn't even cross your mind. fuck, getting out of bed is out of the question. dentists see oral hygiene as THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVAR and can not contemplate a reality where you just couldn't give a shit about your teeth (or anything else for that matter).

EXACTLY!!!! They do take oral hygiene a bit TOO seriously. Like, if you have a heart attack, it's cool, as long as your teeth are pearly white! :) Don't get me wrong, I'm all about brushing my teeth and taking care of myself when I feel like it but right now I'm so depressed I can hardly get my ass out of bed to watch TV. Dentists make, what, umpteen thousand a year? What is there to be depressed about in the world of dental science? :)

would you believe dentists have a fairly high suicide rate?

I've seen pictures of oral diseases. ;)

Between that, and the fact that you rank below the IRS as a person people want to see...

;):):) I needed a laugh today. That is so true! Not many happy cheery people in the waiting room at the dentist's office.

But ya know, I don't think dentists know much or take mental health into consideration and maybe they should have some sort of sensitivity training, ya know? Seriously!