CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
invictus61101

My pdoc fired me.

I don't know why. He just sent me a certified letter saying we had to "end our professional relationship." WTF do I do now? I don't want to go through all of this over again. I don't like talking to new people as it is.

Can they actually fire you? Am I the only freak this has happened to?

I don't know why. He just sent me a certified letter saying we had to "end our professional relationship." WTF do I do now? I don't want to go through all of this over again. I don't like talking to new people as it is.

Can they actually fire you? Am I the only freak this has happened to?

Wow!!!! I never heard of such a thing.

I am so sorry. Did you call to find out why?

Good luck. So sorry

LG

Wow, that really sucks and is very unprofessional. I dont blame you for not wanting to start over again. It is very frustrating and stressful. I would call and see what is going on. Do you have a regular doc? Maybe they could refer you to a good pdoc. Good luck

I got fired by my last pdoc. Atleast yours sent a letter. Before mine fired me he just refused to see me. Which sounds illegal. He told me it was because I had a "difficult diagnosis". Blah. Anyway, it does happen. To a lot of people, for many reasons. It could be because he had to downsize or something that has nothing to do with you at all. It's hard to start a new doctor, but you need a doctor. And if the one you were seeing can't commit, you should move on.

Goodluck. And sorry.

Invictus, sorry to hear your dilema.

- No, you are not the first patient to have this happen.

- No, it is not illegal as long "Abandonment" did not occur, a situation where you are/were in danger at the time of termination, without adequate alternatives for care.

- Your only choice is to make arrangements to start with a new doctor.

This most likely did not occur out of the blue. You must have some idea of how your relationship with the doctor and/or his staff was not going well or inappropriate. Did the doc feel unable to handle your case?, late on payments, not taking meds or following directions? rude to the staff? late/missed appointments? Just didn't get along with the doc? I do think it would have been better for him to give at least some indication as to why you were terminated. He very likely will not discuss this any further with you.

Abandonment is a legal term, and most states have a law against it, however it is probably rarely applied unless the patient suffers direct harm from witholding care.

Here is an article about doctor-patient relationship, termination and abandonment from the Texas Family Physicians newsletter:

http://www.tafp.org/TFP/AMJ2002/pm.htm

a.m.

Edited by AirMarshall

No matter what the reason- I think it is most profesional to make this decision/statement in person.

Most pdoc/tdoc s would want you to come in for a termination session if you were the one leaving. I think they owe you the same courtesy.

Is there a possibility he had something in his personal life that led to the letter? Are you certain it was just you?

Sadly, it IS legal, and usually occurs if you miss a lot of appointments, owe them a bunch, or "don't seem to be cooperating with the course of treatment"--(Like not taking meds, etc) thats the words my doc (I used to work for) used. He HAS to see you if you have a true Emergency, and the "abandonment" issue is a thin liine. BTW--I never heard of a doc who would say this in person--they are usually chicken-shits.

I would call the office, speak to the office manager, ask her why, and then if your doc will gve you recommendations for other docs you might be able to see. If you live in an area where he's the only pdoc you can get to, then we're talking abandoment, because you have no other options.

The termination appt. sounds reasonable, but you probably won't get one.

Good luck--don't give up--

china

Mine was by mutual agreement. My Pdoc said that I was wasting both our time by not following his advice. I returned that I had had that feeling for some time and maybe he should consider another career. My referring GP let me read his notes on me. The usual thing had happened. You spill your guts out to them and they can't deal with it. They form a low opinion of you and just put in a half hearted effort. My GP said it would make him reconsider referring anyone to that Pdoc again. So at least my GP saw that It was not my fault.

The moral of the story is, don't blame yourself. A Tdoc told me that she had to take lots of breaks and carefully watch that she didn't become ill herself. Being a Pdoc or Tdoc is a difficult profession and it is often them getting out of touch with what they are doing that is the problem.

If you have displayed anti social behaviour or anything else then they should have at least warned you. I would have thought that if they could not handle your case for personal reasons then they should have at least referred you to a colleague who might be willing to accept.

Thanks y'all. I don't what the deal was. I hadn't missed an appt since June and I actually had a credit, so it wasn't like I owed them anything! The letter he sent had a list of pdocs, but I don't think any of them take my insurance. I did stop going to my counselor because she told me I had a problem with authority, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I never really liked the guy anyway. He always made me think that he thought I was lying. He'd ask me a question, I'd answer, and he'd say, "Are you sure?" WTF? Once he called my mom while I was in his office and told her about me attempting suicide. Like THAT really helped matters!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one at least.

Is it possible that this doctor is in some sort of legal trouble and had to send this letter out to all of his patients?

I had one say that our sessions were over and he was referring me back to my GP now with advice to follow. I wasn't near stable and my GP wasn't at all comfortable with it. Luckily my tdoc pulled some strings and got me a new one fast and he's wonderful. I had no run ins with the old one, but I wasn't crazy about his bedside manner.

I think he just wasn't happy that I didn't respond to either lithium or depakote and therefore couldn't participate in his clinical trials. He was in a mood disorder clinic and a researcher. I was of no further use to him.

It was all for the best. Who needs a pdoc like that anyways?

1st how old are you? 2nd did you sign a consent saying he could discuss your case with anyone, and if so, did yo specifically include your mom? If you are over 18, and did not sign such a consent, he has violated the HIPPA laws, and its a big deal you can certainly mention to his officve manager.

A REAL BIG DEAL--believe me. This law is designed to make sure no one has access to your medical info but your doc, ins, and the people YOU designate. Might want to remind him of that.

china

Hmmmmm. . . .perhaps he knows he screwed up and it trying to make it (you) go away.

I got fired by my pdoc after disagreeing with a course of treatment. at least it happened face to face and I felt like i had some say in the matter. What your pdoc did sucks.