How do you handle it

I wanted to read of some opinions from others on what it is like to be on multiple medications. There was a time where I looked and thought about how many pills I take a day. In addition to the psychotropic meds listed in my signature, I take a Multi-Vitamin, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil.

I take:

• Lexapro 10mg AM + 10mg 6pm
  • Zyprexa Zydis 5mg @ 9pm
  • Cogentin 1mg AM + 1mg 6pm
  • Lunesta 3mg @ bedtime
  • Multivitamin
  • Vitamin C
  • Fish Oil

I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Just what do we think of it?

Sometimes I think "Holy shit I'm on a lot of fucking medication." And I realize that maybe I forget too often about the chemicals that I'm putting into my body. But I also know that if it wasn't for them I would be a whole lot more screwed up than I am right now, so I have to keep plugging along and keep taking them.

Sometimes it's overwhelming and I think that my functional life comes down to a BUNCH of pills. Most of the time, though, it's not a big deal and I don't think things like that.

I have a good pill case that is seven days, four times a day that I keep them in. It helps a lot for remembering to take them and take the right ones.

What I take is in my signature.

i like to joke that i come from the shallow end of the gene pool, because i have so many things i'm genetically predisposed to that i have to be medicated/tested/on alert for. but that's not really fair to mom and dad, who passed along some cool things too. in addition to the meds listed in my sig, (the lyrica was rx'd for pain but seems to help with anxiety too), i also take diovan for high bp; simvastatin for cholesterol; and a multi-vitamin and vitamin c daily. my gp wants me to also take calcium, but that's tricky in terms of timing with other meds, so usually i just don't bother. (hey, i gotta draw the line somewhere.)

for the most part, i don't find this a huge inconvenience. i take the vitamins and a lyrica in the am, another lyrica midday, and everything else at bedtime. sometimes i wish i didn't have to bother with it all, but when i really think about it, i'm grateful for my meds. my crazy meds keep me functioning better than i ever have before, and i hope my medical meds will help me live longer than my parents, who passed at 53 (dad) and 64 (mom). we shall see.

i realize too i'm on a lot fewer meds than a lot of folks around here, so maybe i'm not really representative. but that was my two cents, hope it helps.

bean

I used to hate taking my meds...I've been on more and less throughout my journey...now they are just part of my life...something I do like going to the bathroom. Of course, when pdoc decides to start messing around and I'm not having a good time with the experiment, I start hating 'em again.

I have a hard time with it sometimes, mostly because my schedule is pretty erratic, so it's hard to take things at a consistent time. Overall, though, I'm just glad to be functioning as well as I am. I've seen myself without meds and it isn't pretty, so I'm just plugging along and working to get better at the timing.

to be totally honest?

I hate taking meds.

I know logically that they pretty much saved my life and that I'm sure that my life would be very different (in a bad.way.) without them-- but I just can't shake the feeling of resentment toward being chained to medications at age twenty.

I know that if I'm grateful for what they have done for me, that I shouldn't feel this way, but there are some days that it is so.so.so.hard. to look at the small mountain of pills in my palm and force myself to close my eyes and swish them all down.

I think when I feel like this the most is when:

insurance, pdoc, pharmacy, or money issues take OVER my life just due to my prescriptions,

like all I can do is worry about how long I'm going to be without, or how I'm going to cover that next $700 trip to rite aid, or the $100 pdoc appointment just to pick up those magic slips of paper. or I spend every free moment in my crazy student life on the phone for hours with the pharmacies or insurance companies. or the pharmacy loses ALL of my scripts AGAIN and I'm forced to go three days without lamictal or wellbutrin, or deal with two weeks of final exams without adderall's help just because of other people's errors. THEY aren't the ones that spend a month getting back on track after going so batshit from missing meds for days, and there is no way of making that stranger on the phone understand that it is, in fact, IMPORTANT for this girl to get her medication, even though it's just psych stuff (if it was insulin, boy would I get some customer service.)

BAH!

sorry, giant rant. It's just hard for me to accept being the only one of my close friends to take any prescriptions (besides allergy), let alone psych meds, and constantly being reminded that almost my entire functional life hinges on that little pile of chiclets in my palm in the morning.

sorry for the book, but this has been on my mind lately,

meg

;)

I'v e been on the Pill-go-round for three years now and I can't say that it's gotten any easier. I'm currently on Geodon 80mgs bid, Zoloft 200 mgs, Tegretol 600 mgs, Remeron 15 mgs and Lorazepam .5 mg prn (along with multi-vitiamin, B12 and folic acid). Ive been on Lithium, Depakote, Clonazepam, Seroquel and every other SSRI currenly available. I still feel like nothing is working, which makes me question why I'm taking them at all. I can't say that nothing is working because I haven't had any hallucinations since starting the Geodon 2 and a half years ago, which is great. The other stuff...forget about it. I still suffer from suicidal depression, rapid mood swings and anxiety. I don't take the benzos anymore for fear of becoming addicted, though I would probably benefit from them. My pdoc has said that she is pretty much at the end of the line with me, she's not sure what to do if I don't see results from this cocktail.

Meds suck the big one!

AG

I still suffer from suicidal depression, rapid mood swings and anxiety. I don't take the benzos anymore for fear of becoming addicted, though I would probably benefit from them.

That sucks big-time. But yeah, with BP as a diagnosis, keeping an SSRI in the mix (Zoloft) may not be slowing down the mood swings.

How bad are the EPS when you tried Haldol, Thorazine, or one of the other old-school APs? They're still the top contenders for knocking anxiety down, although they can worsen depression symptoms.

I still suffer from suicidal depression, rapid mood swings and anxiety. I don't take the benzos anymore for fear of becoming addicted, though I would probably benefit from them.

That sucks big-time. But yeah, with BP as a diagnosis, keeping an SSRI in the mix (Zoloft) may not be slowing down the mood swings.

How bad are the EPS when you tried Haldol, Thorazine, or one of the other old-school APs? They're still the top contenders for knocking anxiety down, although they can worsen depression symptoms.

My pdoc has never even mentioned any of the older APs because I've had such good luck with the Geodon. I don't think that I've had any side effects that fall under EPS, except perhaps the side effect I've started a thread for under the side effects board (the occasional overwhelming urge to look up, I know, sounds stupid...). My pdoc also seems reluctant to try any of the older TCAs or MAOIs, which is partly ok because the MAOIs scare the shit outta me, I like cheese... ;)

AG

I honestly don't mind the meds that much. True, "no meds" would be ideal, but I am finally, happily, on a good cocktail. I don't care if it's 5 or 20, I wouldn't tinker with it for the world, as long as it's working.

I've seen quite a number of people taking fish oil. For what, may I ask? What kind? (I assume there are different kinds?) And does it leave fish burps? I've heard about that s/e, yuck. Right now I'm doing good to take a multivitamin, and extra vitamin D (dr's orders, I'm low on it). I'm starting to see some extra hair on the shower floor, I don't know if I need to go back on the "depakote days" vitamin regime, or if it's just the time of year.

Taking the meds morning and night is no big deal, just part of my routine. It's remembering to take the 2nd & 3rd dose of seroquel every day that I have trouble with. If I forget, I have problems.

I never minded it much, being on Seroquel, Lamictal, and Effexor. However, since I had my gastric bypass last June, the pill count has gotten truly ridiculous due to the amount of supplements I have to take daily. I've added B1 and Centrum twice a day, 2000mg calcium citrate total (in the form of upcalD powder four times a day), polyiron 150 and 500g vit. C once a day, 500mg magnesium at night, and VitB12 shot every other week.

It just gets tiresome.

I go through phases- sometimes I just take them and I don't even think about it.

other times I get so angry at having to constantly be searching for the right combination which i never seem to find or if i do it works for a few months then stops.

I've always had a hard time swallowing pills. i used to have to do all of them one at a time- you can imagine how long that could take! i got better at a few small ones at a time.

when i get really resentful about the whole thing- illness meds everything- i find i start gagging on them. delightful. its like i have to learn to swallow pills all over again.

when i feel like nothing is working i get tempted to just stop- to go off everything. but i realize how much worse that would be and i keep taking them.

Archived