Neurontin for sleep

Does anyone else here take neurontin for insomnia? I was taking a very high dose (3200 mg) for a couple of months. Then my neuro took me off it and prescribed Lunesta---which does not work. With my PCP's approval, I've started taking neurontin again---he suggested a low dose (300 mg), but I started with 400 mg since I have about a million 800 mg pills that I break in half. I also take Wellbutrin XL and migraine meds.

My question is---do you need to keep increasing the amount you take?---I'm trying to stick to the lowest dosage possible, since neurontin makes my ankles a little puffy.

As far as other sleep meds, I've tried Ambien---no luck; Elavil works great, but packs on the pounds; Benadryl usually works (maybe I should go back to that!!)

Insomnia sucks! If I don't sleep soundly, I get a migraine.

Thanks for your comments.

Diane B

Hi:

I did terrible with neurontin because it was so sedating, but I do take it at bedtime - because it is so sedating! I take the liquid, which is the real deal, and more expensive. BUT, if you can afford it, it absorbs better. I take 1200 mgs at night because this is what my p-doc and I have agreed on. I  was on 2400 when it was discovered it was just not the med for me.

Try the liquid if you can. It doesn't taste all that great - but I think it works well for sleep, and I feel great in the morning.  I suppose that gabepentin would do the same, but I am spoiling myself with real neurontin.

Breeze

Thanks for the replies---I noticed yesterday that my ankles were starting to swell again---I assume from the Neurontin. I'm going to have to stop taking it. I tried Benadryl to sleep and it worked great. When I go back to my doctor for a Wellbutrin check up, I'll talk to him again about longer term sleep solutions.

Diane B

Archived