So. My doctor told me to take 50mg of benadryl at night for sleep. And I'm just wondering, how unusual or usual is this?

Has anyone ever had their doctor "prescribe" them benadryl?

Ok yeah that's all. Just curious.

So. My doctor told me to take 50mg of benadryl at night for sleep. And I'm just wondering, how unusual or usual is this?

I've heard 25 mg suggested. There can be a rebound effect as it wears off, so if the lower dose would work that might be better.

50 mg every 4-6 hours is a common adult dose for allergies and colds, so 50 mg a night isn't too outrageous either.

I once spent a week, maybe two weeks, at 50 mg every 4 hours on doctor's orders. Obviously, sleep wasn't the objective!

Yep. And my wife is now taking 50mg.

Yeah, when I was younger I had a doctor prescribe Benydryl for sleep. I forget the amount though. I think it was two pills, however many mgs that is. I've had doctors prescribe other allergy medications for sleep as well.

Benadryl is the most sedating med you can get, other than the hypnotic sleep aids. It is very safe. OTC dosing varies at 25mg or 50mg, with no reasoning given. I would strongly suggest trying 25mg first. Benadryl can have a strong 'hangover" the next day, depending on how it affects you.

The biggest possible drawback other than hangover sleepiness, is the drying effect it has on the mucosa. This can cause drying of the sinuses, nasal and mouth tissue, and possibly affect your gut. No way to predict without a trial.

It does work! Give it a whirl. The other up side is non-habit forming.

a.m.

I was going to ask about the ativan- and if you are still taking the other meds you have listed- benedryl is a good drug to "potentiate" the sleepy effects of other meds. It was much more commonly used prior to the invention of ambien and the like.

When i worked on an inpatient unit a million yrs ago- almost every patient was routinely given a combo of benedryl and L- tryptophan for sleep. ( that was obviously before they took the L-tryptophan supplements off the market- but you can still get some by the old fashioned turkey or warm milk methods. ( though i don't think the temp makes a difference except in prefferance)

I hope you get a better night 's sleep tonight. sweet dreams.

Doctors have actually prescribed Benadryl as a PRN behavior med is some our group homes which surprised me.

I don't mean to get off topic, but what does PRN mean?

When I was about 15 years old, a doctor prescribed me L-tryptophan. He also said I had brain dysrythmia... whatever that means.

Benedryl and the other antihistamines help me with sleep, but only if I don't use them regularly. They'll work for a night or two and then go paradoxical and keep me awake and antsy all night. Advil PM has 38 mgs of benedryl per caplet.

Another antihistamine that is good for sleep on an occasional basis is Unisom, which uses another antihistamine as a sleep aid, doxylamine succinate, as a sleep aid. It feels a little stronger than benedryl, and the dose is 25 mgs.

I don't know, it might be worth a try.

one problem with benadryl is the longer you take it, the less effective it becomes so you have to up your dosage. i was taking it for sleeplessness until it sent me into a full blown panic attack. now i just stay up till all hours......

Archived