CrazyBoards.org

How to deal with rapid cycling

For the past two years I have had to live with rapid cycling. I go into a sever depressed state every three weeks like clockwork (I guess I don't know for sure that this is rapid cycling but it sure seems comes on fast). If you are in a similar situation, how do you deal with it? Are there meds that I could be taking to help stop it? I guess I should be happy that I haven't been manic for almost a year and a half, but it is still frustrating. The meds that I take regularly are Lamictal 400 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Artane 10 mg, and Cytomel 30 micrograms (I some times take sleep meds and Ativan as I feel I need it).

-bb

Wow - you seem to be on a lot of meds to still be cyling. Poor you!

Seems like if you are having bouts of depression, then your mood is getting too squashed. Good to control mania, bad if it pushes you down. If I had to guess (which I really am) I would blame the Geodon. As an Anti-psychotic having that anti-mania thing rockin', it may be the culprit. Lamictal has more of a mood-elevating effect than other mood stabilizers.

Not familiar with Artane or Cytomel but from what I've dug up neither seem like they could be causing depression. According to wikipedia (yes I know some people hate wikipedia) Artane's side effects are:

CNS : Drowsiness, vertigo, headache, and dizziness are frequent. With high doses nervousness, agitation, anxiety, delirium, and confusion are noted. Biperiden may be abused due to a short acting mood-elevating and euphoriant effect. The normal sleep architecture may be altered (REM sleep depression). Biperiden may lower the seizure-threshold. Some instances of dementia have been noted to correllate with chronic administration of anticholinergic medications such as Biperiden for Parkinson's disease.[1]

Peripheral side effects : Blurred vision, dry mouth, impaired sweating, abdominal discomfort, and obstipation are frequent. Tachycardia may be noted. Allergic skin reactions may occur. Parenteral use may cause orthostatic hypotension.

Eyes : Biperiden causes mydriasis with or without photophobia. It may precipitate narrow angle glaucoma.

The only thing I could think of is if your getting the mood elevation/euphoria thing, then the depression may be a crash?

Also per wikipedia, cytomel's side effects are:

weight loss

tremor

headache

upset stomach

vomiting

diarrhea

stomach cramps

nervousness

irritability

insomnia

excessive sweating

increased appetite

fever

changes in menstrual cycle

sensitivity to heat

temporary hair loss, particularly in children during the first month of therapy

So that doesn't look like it either.

Call your doc - depressive symptoms can be just as unacceptable as manic ones.

My flavor of bi polar is rapid cycling (several mood swings over the course of a year or several months), sometimes ultra rapid cycling (several mood swings in one day), and the drug that's worked for me is Topamax. I also take Seroquel. The Topamax is what really helps; the Seroquel makes things even better. Topamax may not be for you, but it's great for me. In the three years I've been taking it, I've only had a few breakthrough episodes, and those have been under very high-stress situations.

Geodon and Lamictal didn't work for me at all; however everyone's different. Or as they say here, your mileage may vary. ;)

i know im gonna seem really dumb when i say this but what they hey

iv only ever been told that those with BPD suffer cycles that last months or years, thats the only reason iv never been diagnosed with it. what you described in your post seems like what i go through. iv been diagnosed with damn i forget the name its like level one psychosis and they put me on quitiapine (sp) that made me like a zombie so now im on olanzapine(sp) it helps a bit but it doesnt help with the constant changing in moods?

xxMxx

For the past two years I have had to live with rapid cycling. I go into a sever depressed state every three weeks like clockwork (I guess I don't know for sure that this is rapid cycling but it sure seems comes on fast). If you are in a similar situation, how do you deal with it? Are there meds that I could be taking to help stop it? I guess I should be happy that I haven't been manic for almost a year and a half, but it is still frustrating. The meds that I take regularly are Lamictal 400 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Artane 10 mg, and Cytomel 30 micrograms (I some times take sleep meds and Ativan as I feel I need it).

-bb

That must be frustrating and tough. Not so long ago, I spent the better part of a year on a monthly cycle. I spent about a week hypo, a week mixed, a week depressed, and a week 'normal.' The normal was solely recuperative. I got threw it in a few ways. The whole thing was happening so fast that I really didn't have time to process much. I was along for the ride, so to speak. The few brain cells that were functioning I focused on maintaining my job, not that I was highly productive, but it was a good diversion. And, I counted on my doc to pull something out of her bag of tricks. Eventually, she did. For me, the answer was the addition of Depakote. I hate it in many ways, but it's glue that my brain apparently needs.

My rapid cycle was different than yours. Depakote worked for me. It may be worth a trial for you. At the same time, you should be aware that it is a med that causes depression in a few. Hard to know how you'd respond until you try it, though.

Here's hoping you even out soon!

Topamax added to my cocktail stopped my ultra rapid cycling immediately. Not that we're all the same, but here's my cocktail for BP1 w/psychotic features, rapid cycling and mixed states, GAD and ADHD.

Crazy

Trileptal 1500 mg

Topamax 175 mg

Effexor 225 mg

Wellbutrin 150 mg

Concerta 54 mg

Seroquel 300 mg

Clonazepam 2 mg (prn)

Others

Codeine Phosphate 120 mg (degenerative disc disease)

Lipitor 10 mg (High cholesterol caused by Seroquel)

It took years to find this cocktail and I am finally stable. I occasionally need the odd tweak for anxiety or mild depression, but I can't complain.

I'm really sorry for you (and my self alike) rapid cycling is surely one of the shittiest things someone can possibly have. i know that you are going through because i'm doing the same.

one thing you could try with your doctor is to try any possible med and med coctail that could possibly help you. frankly i dont really believe there is a way to deal with this kind of shit (like ignoring it or getting used to it or "deal with it" or some ignorant advices like that) unless you have extremely mild symptoms. imo meds are the answer for this kind of stuff.

disregard this, i missed the allergy thing....one thing i have read is, although lithium is not any good for rapid cycling and mixed state, it has helped some people with very regularly cycling rapid cycling. particularly this one guy who cycled like a clockwork every other day. i have never taken lithium and i have very irregular cycling with lots of mixed state so i dont think it would help me but it may help you (or not).

disregard this, i missed the allergy thing....valproic acid didnt do jack for me but it's supposed to work for rapid cycling. one doc i have met was particularly very impressed by lamictal + depacote coctail. which again, i havent taken (yet). i took valtroate and lamictal at different times though.

taking zyprexa on regular basis might be a good idea if you are not afraid of weight gain and to much lesser extent, diabetis (i'm not, i would literally eat shit to get rid of rapid cycling). i took it. it worked for quite a while but it eventually pooped out, but that could as well not happen to you. everyone is different. i didnt gain weight either although i took a very high dose.

you are already taking lamictal so i dont think there is a reason to talk about that. it is meant to work for rapid cycling. it has actually stabilized my mood by which means i dont have that much mood swings, but the thing is my mood is always the same but always the same shitty mixed state <-- bad.

It's also quite possible that one of the the other meds you are taking causes the rapid cycling. i am sort of thinking of geodon.

"... Ziprasidone also displays some inhibition of synaptic reuptake of [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin" target="_blank]serotonin[/link] and [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine" target="_blank]norepinephrine[/link] ..."

that means it's also an antidepressant. and antidepressants can cause cycling.

cheers

polar bear

When I was cycling, I was REALLY cycling *(not that this is any kind of sick contest--)--about 3-4 times A DAY. Hell on earth would have been a better name for it. I have been on the same little cocktail for about a year, and tho I do occassionally have the dear old "mixed episodes" the advantage of being a rapid cycler, I have decided, is that they don't last long, either (I call them Drive-By's)

To me cycling is the absolute worse part of this whole batshit mess. And I am working hard on not letting myself fall into the great abyss of depression and anxiety that grows like kudzu (Ifyou're not from the south, just ask). I am learning that I can many times, keep myself from throwing myself over the "cliff of dispair" by just falling down/crying/ and then trying to think it out. And of course, I woudl never never miss those majick pills that somehow keep me, most of the time, fairly "OK".

The only mood stabalizer I can take is Tegretol, and that with 2 AD's and my ADD meds seem to keep the brain chemicals in a proper mix for me. Pharms/drugs are so spastic--"your mileage may vary"--NO ONE has the same reaction, no 2 people are helped by the same combo. I woudln't be a pdoc for the world--its like juggling hot rocks, I would think.

Good luck, know you are not alone, and try to remind yourself, whether up or down, that it IS a cycle, which means it will go away pretty quickly.

I'm here for you--at least right now, when I can type and think.

china

Archived