CrazyBoards.org

Paralysis? Numbness? Tingling?

So.... I have a lot of different migraine symptoms.... but the ones bugging me the most lately are the paralysis, numbness, and tingling of the right side of my body. The three don't ALWAYS come together, sometimes they do, sometimes its just paralysis, and sometimes its just the numbness and tingling.... more often then not its just the numbness and tingling... but its getting really annoying. I was stuck in bed for 5 hours yesterday (well.. I guess "today" is saturday now... so thursday) because I honestly couldn't get up because my whole right side was paralyzed. I could talk, but couldn't get to a standing or sitting position... I laid down because I was getting a migraine.. went to sleep for an hour... and woke up paralyzed. Its happened before so I didn't freak... but its frustrating. And I get the numbness and tingling about 3 times a week.... it happens right before I start getting the classic migraine pain, nausea, dizziness, light sensitivity.. etc.. anyone else get these symptoms?

I'm throwing out some wild-ass possibilities here that you may wish to speak with your doc about...

I've had that tingling sensation, but not in episodes really (I've had it in a progressive and constant pattern since 1999, probably related to my neuro-infection).

But, I suppose, you could be having one of those "atypical migraines", where instead of the headache being prominent, some other function of the brain (like its perceptions of sensation) could in theory be altered. And the "hemiplegic" migraine is a type of atypical migraine, and apparently results in weakness and/or paralysis on one side of the body. That was the first (mis)diagnosis I got back in October '05 when my neuro-infection crawled into my brain and caused some sort of neurological attack.

Also, when you woke up, was your whole body paralyzed? I.e., unable to speak/scream, move one single limb, etc.? That could be something called "sleep paralysis", which actually doesn't occur during sleep... it's our minds waking up whilst thinking our bodies are in still REM sleep. Paralysis is the norm during REM, since otherwise, one could act out one's dreams. Waking up paralyzed happens to everybody occasionally, but more often in narcoleptics (such as myself). I don't know if you have narcolepsy, but sleep paralysis in general might be something to think about.

But yea... sounds like an issue that you need to seriously discuss with a neurologist. Also, I don't want to imply you've got a neuro-infection (though you may be tested for one, as well as autoimmune neuro conditions). So best of luck!

Its not my whole body, just my right side, and always my right side. and I can speak. I know that because the first thing out of my mouth was "fuck and where is my cell phone!?" hmph. it happened today to. Its never happened twice in one week before, but it often happens when I have med adjustments or new meds, and I had three changes last night and I woke up to it... so its probably that.

The numbness and tingling happens about twice a week without a migraine... but then it lasts longer then when I get a migraine. In about a month i'm going to go back to my neurologist, if the increase in topamax doesn't help the migraines and these other things. It wasn't increased by him, as he wanted to wait another month to increase it. Ahh the joys of being on one med for two different things.

• 2 years later...

Hi, last november I was rushed to hospital because I started geetin pins and needls all over my body and wen numb and couldn't walk. I was in hospital for 2weeks and had every test posible, I had nerve tests the lot, they put it down to a virus but almost a year later I still have the tingling in my feet constantly, I am not to sure weather to go bk to my doctor because I am getting worried that it is something serias

Archived