CrazyBoards.org

There is a voice inside my head that keeps telling me to kill my cat. I LOVE my cat, but the voice keeps insisting that I do. It's a man's voice, and I'm a teenage girl. His voice is deep, husky, and scary. I just want it to stop! My psychiarist just says to ignore it...but it's soooo hard to! What do I do?? Any suggestions??

that sounds horrible and scary to go through- i'm so sorry.

do you feel like you are at risk of listening to the voices and following what they say?

maybe you could have a friend "kitty sit" for you for a few days. or have someone come stay with you that makes you feel safer.

Clearly you are still struggling since the time pdoc said to ignore- but since that clearly is not working, calling him might be a good thing. pehaps he can do a med change or offer a prn or something.

i hope you feel better and may you and kitty stay safe.

frankly i have dont have too much clue about psychosis ( you've got that right? i just used to know some but i never asked them really how they feel beside well or not so well).

but what i always thought was that the productive symptoms are way more easy to control than the negative symptoms (with medication).

why your doctor says you should ignore it is kind of beyond me.

he should rather do ANYTHING possible to help you get rid of it completely. i seriously cant imagine having to live with this kind of this kind of extremly anoying stuff (not to mention that it would scare the shit out of me).

by anything possible i mean trying any possible antipsychotic, trying hypertherapeutic doses (basicly a well monitored overdose).

and the nasty antipsychotics like haldol and clozaril. or a combination of the less nasty ones. the craziest but also very effective treatment i have heard of is clozaril with weekly ECT. but if you were that troubled that you would need such a drastic therapy you probably wouldnt be able to participate in this forum.

i hope this helps in some way or another. at least with bipolar people have to take multiple drugs most of the time. maybe it helps with psychosis too. they also sometimes add medicine totally unrelated to antipsychotic to augment the antipsychotics white treating psychosis. particularly they use valproate or lithium.

btw, maybe your doc is an idiot. just maybe. ask for a second opinion ASAP.

I dont really care as much about the cat as i do about you.

cheers

polar bear

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It must be very difficult. Medications help me with hallucinations. I'm sorry your pdoc isn't more helpful. Do you think you can ignore the voice? If you think you are going to harm the cat let someone know. And maybe ask about a med change?

Hey greencativ, how you doing? it's been a few days since you posted....

Uberpolarbear: SZ is different from bipolar disorder. The medications don't always work, and they can have debilitating side effects. In my opinion, unless specifically asked as part of the topic, it is probably better to NOT suggest meds or med changes. The meds don't always control hallucinations & delusions, and one goal of treatment is helping the patient cope by learning to recognize and ignore voices and commands. SZ isn't for wimps.

a.m.

Hey greencativ, how you doing? it's been a few days since you posted....

Uberpolarbear: SZ is different from bipolar disorder. The medications don't always work, and they can have debilitating side effects. In my opinion, unless specifically asked as part of the topic, it is probably better to NOT suggest meds or med changes. The meds don't always control hallucinations & delusions, and one goal of treatment is helping the patient cope by learning to recognize and ignore voices and commands. SZ isn't for wimps.

a.m.

SZ is not what I have been diagnosed with. I have borderline personality disorder, but with some psychotic symptoms. My phychiatrist and I realized that I have this problem only during my menstral cycle, so he opted to up my anti-psychotics during the week of my period and then...the symptoms went away! Yay! So it has been figured out! Thanks for asking how I was doing! My cat and I are going to be JUST fine! : )

]

SZ is not what I have been diagnosed with. I have borderline personality disorder, but with some psychotic symptoms. My phychiatrist and I realized that I have this problem only during my menstral cycle, so he opted to up my anti-psychotics during the week of my period and then...the symptoms went away! Yay! So it has been figured out! Thanks for asking how I was doing! My cat and I are going to be JUST fine! : )

I'm glad the extra anti-psychotic helped. ;)

that's awesome ;)

so nice when meds do their jobs, huh?

and now the kitty can do it's job and purr to relax you

while you hang out and give it some nice attention

good for you,

m

ps- I'm not sure if you've mentioned if you are seeing a tdoc or not,

but if you aren't then *please* get that on your list. the pdoc might tell you to ignore it

but the tdoc can help you figure out how to do that if you need to.

Archived