CrazyBoards.org

Bored today. Googled "new antidepressant"

Got all excited when I saw some stuff about Pristiq.

Then I read on.

Effexor patent running out so they basically just put out a drug that is pretty much just one of Effexor's metabolites?

How about you focus on finding new medications for depression instead of figuring out ways to extend your patents.

Any chance at all that this Pristiq will have a different side effects profile than Effexor?

That was supposedly the deal with Celexa/Lexapro right? Supposedly, less side effects with Lexapro. Though I hardly believe it.

Anyway here:

http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/2008/...ut-pristiq.html

There's also agomelatine (entering the final phase of clinical trials here in the US), an "atypical" antidepressant that's sort of a cross between Rozerem and Serzone. It doesn't sedate you (even though it acts one of the melatonin receptors), but apparently is touted to help regulate the sleep cycle, all the while improving depression.

The manufacturer wanted approval in Europe (under the brand name Valdoxan), but the EU drug regulatory commission felt that although Valdoxan was safe, it wasn't particularly effective in the treatment of MDD, and duly rejected the submission.

Also (semi-unrelated again), I was once prescribed Xophenex as my asthma rescue inhaler (for the odd asthma attack I get once a year or so). Xophenex is the effective half of albuterol (Ventolin), albuterol itself consisting of two molecules, the mirror images of each other. Fortunately, the manufacturer had a deal where I could get my first inhaler for free. The next one will run me $40 (and that's with insurance), so time to haul off and get a prescription for generic albuterol before this canister of Xophenex expires.

Gosh, that Valdoxan sounds great - if it works for depression and helps somone sleep as well. I used to take Serzone, and it worked really well for me (after about 15 years, it sort of pooped out on me, but for a long while, it was a great AD for me). And I have been searching for a sleep remedy for myself that is non-addictive, and also works.

What a good idea for some pharmacuetical manufacturer to attempt to comine both remedies in one drug. I will be following the progress of that particular drug closely. Thanks for the information, herrfous.

- Susan

Effexor patent running out so they basically just put out a drug that is pretty much just one of Effexor's metabolites?

That is similar to the deal with imipramine/desipramine. In that case, the metabolite is a far less potent serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and does most of the noradrenaline reuptake inhibition for the parent.

If Pristiq also acts somewhat different from its parent, the side effects might be different.

That was supposedly the deal with Celexa/Lexapro right? Supposedly, less side effects with Lexapro. Though I hardly believe it.

Celexa is one chemical with two possible mirror-imaged shapes, mixed together. Lexapro has one of the two filtered out, leaving the one that's supposed to do most of the positive work.

Being a long-term Effexor user, I was curious about Pristiq, but it sounds like it just barely got approved and is all about the patent extension.

Weird stuff:

1. The half-life is half of Effexor's already short half-life. I'm not sure about the delivery system (probably something like XR), but it sounds like discontinuation syndrome has the potential to be bad.

2. Apparently, during clinical trials the drug actually began to lose efficacy as the dose was increased.

Guest IanUK

There's also agomelatine (entering the final phase of clinical trials here in the US), an "atypical" antidepressant that's sort of a cross between Rozerem and Serzone. It doesn't sedate you (even though it acts one of the melatonin receptors), but apparently is touted to help regulate the sleep cycle, all the while improving depression.

The manufacturer wanted approval in Europe (under the brand name Valdoxan), but the EU drug regulatory commission felt that although Valdoxan was safe, it wasn't particularly effective in the treatment of MDD, and duly rejected the submission.

Also (semi-unrelated again), I was once prescribed Xophenex as my asthma rescue inhaler (for the odd asthma attack I get once a year or so). Xophenex is the effective half of albuterol (Ventolin), albuterol itself consisting of two molecules, the mirror images of each other. Fortunately, the manufacturer had a deal where I could get my first inhaler for free. The next one will run me $40 (and that's with insurance), so time to haul off and get a prescription for generic albuterol before this canister of Xophenex expires.

Hi just wanted to say that the reason for the 2006 rejection of Agomelatine in Europe was that the EMEA thought that the phase III trials did not sufficiently demonstrate efficacy for *long term* treatment of MDD (short term was ok). A few more trials later, and its been resubmitted to EMEA (sometime in 2007). The EMEA's opinion is expected in mid 2008, so barring it turning out to be a load of crap (unlikely due to the amount of money put into its development here and in the US) it should be available in europe sometime in 2009. If you think about it, this is the first antidepressant with a completely novel mechanism of action in 20 years so its only natual that the drugs agencies are going to be a bit edgy about approving it.

With its complete lack of sexual side effects, Anti-anxiety efficacy, and sleep promoting properties (without drowsiness).You can bet that I'm making an appointment with the doc soon as its available in here the UK, really had enough of SSRI's. I just hope that it lives up to its hype.

I

There are antidepressants in pharma pipelines that dont act serotonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine. They act on things that most people havent heard of. Things like NMDA receptors, neurokinin receptors, Corticotropin releasing factors and all kinds of crazy stuff you havent heard of. Wether they are any more effective than the current AD's remains to be seen. IMO they'll end up like the rest, with none really being any better than any other.

Guest IanUK

There are antidepressants in pharma pipelines that dont act serotonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine. They act on things that most people havent heard of. Things like NMDA receptors, neurokinin receptors, Corticotropin releasing factors and all kinds of crazy stuff you havent heard of. Wether they are any more effective than the current AD's remains to be seen. IMO they'll end up like the rest, with none really being any better than any other.

That is true, most of these new weird and wonderful chemicals (and their clinical progress) can be seen on here http://www.neurotransmitter.net/newdrugs.html. Im pinning my hopes on agomelatine as its the nearest to market and has good clinical data backing up its claims. It could be that these new antidepressants will be even more effective with less side effects but theres just no way of knowing untill they get approval. The closest to market of these other novel compounds is Sanofi-Aventis' Saredutant (SR 48968), which is a NK2 neurokinin receptor antagonist. You guess is as good as mine as if its any good, but the more the merrier I say.

I

Guest IanUK

Also, Sanofi-Avensis' Ambigron , a beta 3 receptor agonist is another one to watch out for. Its currently in Phase III trials in the US.

Archived