CrazyBoards.org

nerves......pdocs and tdocs

How come every time a new appointment or just average appointment with a mental health profession comes up we freak????

I mean theyre just human as we are.......yet here comes tuesday and Im scared....feeling I should be either threatening to kill my self or blowing raspberrys at the mirror!!!!!

This was an emergancy appointment I really was in a state when I was given the appointment,yet now.........Im calmer.......do I cancel?.......do I do and end up feeling Im just a fraud?

Am I the only one feels this way??

[They are human, but they aren't telling us their deepest darkest feelings. I know exactly how you feel. I don't have a problem with the pdoc because its a short appt so I can get my rx refilled. But the tdoc - I take something before every appointment so I'm not so nervous. It takes the edge off.

I don't think you should cancel the appointment. It might be better to talk about it while you are calm. I doubt the doc will think you're a fraud, as I'm sure he is used to people with mi having ups and downs.

This was an emergancy appointment I really was in a state when I was given the appointment,yet now.........Im calmer.......do I cancel?.......do I do and end up feeling Im just a fraud?
Don't cancel. Write down how you've been feeling or edit something together from your entries and our comments and come in with a sheet of notes for the doc to read. It's really not dumb to do this.

hypothetical things someone might write down.

"On the meds:

1. I'm eating constantly.

2. I'm sleeping for 18 hours.

3. I feel less anxious but dead to the world.

Decreasing the meds

1. Made me desperately anxious.

2. Made images flash through my head and interrupt my thoughts.

3. Made neck give this "squeaky-squeaky" noise when I breakdance.

I nearly canceled the appointment because I'm much calmer now, but then I remember that I never want to feel that way again. I hate making a fuss over my downswings, but to get better, I'm learning to get over feeling like a fraud. How can we prevent a night like I recently had?"

Thankyou guys!!!!!!!!

I very nearly cancelled this morning(appmnt at 2pm)really I do feel ok today but I know that can change in a matter of minutes so I am going to go and discuss my meds,sadly Ive still been missing them,I just cant bare how they make me feel,well still taking respiridal but I really hate the mirtazipine so have been leaving that its only a matter of time before Im crying over the fact the cereal box looks lonely or something pathetic as that!!!!!!!!!

Its actually the community psychiatric nurse Im seeing but its a guy and as lovely as he is I still feel quite anxious about having to chat, DAMN I really dont want to!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, don't you miss that appointment!! You write a few points down as Spuffy suggested, and explain to the nurse how you feel. And they need to give you some meds that don't make you feel comatose.

**olga goes outside to call a cab for Rose**

I still get nervous too, more so with the tdoc because I think I have nothing to say. Somehow we always get chatting and before I know it an hour is gone though and it wasn't so bad after all.

I'm finally comfortable enough with my pdoc that he doesn't freak me out so much, but that took awhile.

yes, i get nervous before every single appointment. i once asked my tdoc if she gets nervous before she sees her tdoc, and she said, "depends what i have to talk about." but i always get anxious - more so if i have something serious to tackle - less so if i think i don't have anything to talk about (which sometimes end up being the most useful sessions after all). but i make myself go, and i'm always glad i did, and you should go too. spuffy's suggestion is a good one. just hand your pnurse something in writing to get the ball rolling.

good luck!

bean

If you have a fax, you can even send over your list of things ahead of time, if you're worried you will forget the list, or if it seems too awkward to hand over the list and wait while s/he reads it. I wouldn't send it more than 2-3d ahead. (Although when I was on a drug that scrambled my memory, psyMD asked me to email or fax stuff in when it occurred to me. Otherwise, she'd ask me how I was doing, and I'd look at her like a big confused sheep.)

My list:

What's better

What's worse

Any med issues (including writing out how I'm actually taking the rx, and circling anything that needs refills)

What do I want to get done today in the visit?

Archived