CrazyBoards.org

Xanax hangover

I'm used to taking benzos. I'm currently on Valium. I've taken Ativan, Serax, Klonopin, and Xanax before in the past.

Here's the story - I didn't take my valium at all last night. I noticed I had a xanax left over. So I took that to try and get some sleep because I was restless. I don't really know what made me decide to take it over my valium... but anyway... I take it... go to sleep pretty soon after that. I wake up, normal time and everything... and boom... it feels like I was drunk last night! I've never had this happen before... it was weird. I mean - I take valium... if anything that would give me a hangover feeling right? Has this happened to anyone else? Or maybe someone can give a reason a little 1mg of Xanax could do this?

;)

No surprise here about hangover effect. I find it stronger when I don't take xanax for a while and then first take it again. If I take it several days in a row it decreases or becomes less noticeable.

Why? A couple possible reasons. First you are hitting two pathways simultaneously. The Valium probably hadn't fully cleared your system, and then you add the xanax. Two benzos working at the same time. Secondly, it may be that the liver enzymes aren't up to speed in clearing the xanax at first and thus the blood levels stay higher, longer than normal when taking it every day (upregulation/downregulation is probably the buzzwords).

cheers, a.m.

• 4 weeks later...

So could this be why I'm so tired every morning and can't wake up? I take 2 mg of Xanax (sometimes up to 4 mg) to sleep at night and when I get up the next day, cannot function until about 3 in the afternoon.

If so, this makes total sense!

But my pdoc was like "oh no, Xanax doesn't do that." ;)

• 1 year later...
Guest lizziek

This definitely happens to me & I'm glad I'm not the only one. I know that if I take a Xanax too late at night to try to fall asleep, I will be a zombie until the next pm. Like today--took a Xanax at midnight and woke up at 2:30pm. At least I got some sleep...

My "hangovers" are different. I'm on Niravam (xanax) .5 three times a day. Sometimes I will forget to take my dose at night so the last dosage would have been around 4pm. When I wake up I feel sick to my stomach until I can get the meds wrking in my system again. Usally takes about 15 min and I feel better. I'm just assuming it's an addiction thing because I've been on them about 5 months now.

So could this be why I'm so tired every morning and can't wake up? I take 2 mg of Xanax (sometimes up to 4 mg) to sleep at night and when I get up the next day, cannot function until about 3 in the afternoon.

But my pdoc was like "oh no, Xanax doesn't do that." wtf.gif

I recently started pristiq and xanax and I cant function it is all I have got to get out of bed. I use to take ativan and never felt this way. Could it be the xanax.

Usally takes about 15 min and I feel better. I'm just assuming it's an addiction thing because I've been on them about 5 months now.

Why don't you just get swapped to clonazepam or diazepam if you're doing 3X a day.

Tell your pdoc. There's no reason why you should have to suffer from withdrawal symptoms when longer-acting meds are available.

I can't figure out, at all, what the prescribing rationale is for regular, and repeated doses of alprazolam, other than doctors being ignorant of the alternatives, or otherwise being married to their Upjohn rep.

Usally takes about 15 min and I feel better. I'm just assuming it's an addiction thing because I've been on them about 5 months now.

Why don't you just get swapped to clonazepam or diazepam if you're doing 3X a day.

Tell your pdoc. There's no reason why you should have to suffer from withdrawal symptoms when longer-acting meds are available.

I can't figure out, at all, what the prescribing rationale is for regular, and repeated doses of alprazolam, other than doctors being ignorant of the alternatives, or otherwise being married to their Upjohn rep.

The problem with me is that I can't take pills so my choices are extremely limited. I overdosed when I was 16 and have never been able to take a pill after that. My throat closes up. The xanax I take is actually a newer med called niravam. It's a disolvable form. I take 20 doses of meds a day. They're either chewable, disolvable or liquid. A lot of doctors get pissed off when you tell them you can't swallow pills. I've heard "Ugh you can if you WANT to". Great bedside manner. But one of my docs has a wife that can't take pills either so he knows what it's like.

The problem with me is that I can't take pills so my choices are extremely limited. I overdosed when I was 16 and have never been able to take a pill after that. My throat closes up. The xanax I take is actually a newer med called niravam. It's a disolvable form. I take 20 doses of meds a day. They're either chewable, disolvable or liquid. A lot of doctors get pissed off when you tell them you can't swallow pills. I've heard "Ugh you can if you WANT to". Great bedside manner. But one of my docs has a wife that can't take pills either so he knows what it's like.

There's dissolvable clonazepam ("Klonopin Wafers"), and liquid diazepam available. A pharmacist can also convert any benzodiazepine into a suspension by crushing the pills and mixing with an appropriate suspension fluid. Interesting problem though, and I'm glad you've found a doctor who cares.

There's dissolvable clonazepam ("Klonopin Wafers"), and liquid diazepam available. A pharmacist can also convert any benzodiazepine into a suspension by crushing the pills and mixing with an appropriate suspension fluid. Interesting problem though, and I'm glad you've found a doctor who cares.

Oh nice! I'll give those a look then!

My p-doc says that Xanax is the only benzodiazepam that isn't interchangeable with the others, if you are on Xanax, you can only take xanax. You *can* switch back and forth between clonezapam and lorezapam, for example. Clonezapam give me "Klonopin rages," though.

And my dad, who is also a p-doc, refers to Xanax as "Super Valium," and says it is *much* stronger, and much more addictive than Valium. I am on Xanax, 1 mg am/pm, plus 1 mg prn, and my p-doc is urging me to be less timid about the 3rd mg. I know it will take me months to titrate off of it, but I need it right now.

The difference is how fast it takes to clear your body.

It takes Xanax about 6-8 hours, so when you wake up your body is going, "Where's the benzo?!" It's used to having it there. That's the hangover you're feeling.

Clonazepam is like two or three days. The let down is much more gentle and you don't notice it nearly as much.

(Note! If you're just starting a benzo, Xanax is good for having a short elimination time. It's mostly gone in the morning and you feel more normal. Clonazepam would still be there and you'd still feel that. Then you would consider that a hangover. So it depends on what your "normal" is for having a benzodiazepine in your system as well, too.)

This is why Xanax can be more addictive for some people. It's like the difference between smoking crack cocaine and sniffing the powder. Smoking it it goes "boom" straight to your brain in like 10 seconds and then eliminates over the next fifteen minutes or so, and you're ready to go again. The process with powder is much longer, a couple of hours or so, so you don't get as intense pull to use immediately again.

It's also why you take Xanax a few times a day where clonazepam you only need once, maybe twice, generally. It's about keeping the blood levels as steady as possible.

Edited by cairn

• 1 month later...

I'm used to taking benzos. I'm currently on Valium. I've taken Ativan, Serax, Klonopin, and Xanax before in the past.

Here's the story - I didn't take my valium at all last night. I noticed I had a xanax left over. So I took that to try and get some sleep because I was restless. I don't really know what made me decide to take it over my valium... but anyway... I take it... go to sleep pretty soon after that. I wake up, normal time and everything... and boom... it feels like I was drunk last night! I've never had this happen before... it was weird. I mean - I take valium... if anything that would give me a hangover feeling right? Has this happened to anyone else? Or maybe someone can give a reason a little 1mg of Xanax could do this?

;)

hay im the same but valium is good for hangovers makes ya sleep and dont have to worry! my hangovers are like dying i hate it thats why i only drink once a month if that!whats xanax for!

According to the PI sheet, the mean half life in healthy adults was 11 hours (with a range from about 6.5-60 hours). That means that it takes about 55 hours or 2.5 days for a single dose to clear your system, or for a dosage change up/down to reach a steady blood state. Obviously Xanax is NOT a short acting agent.

Drug interactions, liver problems, smoking and being elderly can significantly affect Xanax blood levels. For PI info check http://www.rxlist.com/ and http://www.drugs.com/ has a good interaction checker.

Cheers, a.m.

• 7 months later...

man I have the same feeling, I was perscrived xanex 2mg bars and I took one at night felt awesome, then boom out of nowhere I wake up with the shittiest feeling ever.

• 4 months later...
Guest tulsaguy

a xanax will hangover if by hangover meaning sleepy low energy the next day than sure.. when i first used them for my anxiety they would make me feel so much better the next day and would not need more till later at night and would just work for me take my anxiety away and make me function normally. great drug for me i've been on for 7 years and its great.. some people cant handle it they will abuse it or it does give that person a hangover cause it is a very powerful benzo! sometimes valium is a better choice for people who cant handle xanax.. benzos differ person to person so much.. by strength, yet Xanax is a very powerful one. good luck =)

Guest tulsaguy

some may be longer acting yet there not as powerful. those of you who get the hang over in my opinion i feel that the pill *xanax* is too strong for you if your feeling the affects the next day so much.. there are different benzo's that work and some are longer acting in a less powerful way. Benzo's really have to be taylored to the person if you have an addictive personality i advise you not to use. another personal opinion before i was on xanax for my anxiety i was on Klonopin, it helped my anxiety just wasnt quite stong enough.. klonopin.ativan.Valium are less potent than Xanax and should cut down on the hangovers, my mother was prescribed xanax but would get the hangover and she had to use valium cause xanax seemed to knock her out like a tranq dart hitting an elephant lol, but yea hope this can help just ask your dr's but everyone dr's different dr's people different people lol so just have to work with your dr and if u dont feel something ur dr is doing is right and u feel something else should be done get another opinion just cause hes/she is your dr dont mean what he is pushing on you is correct for your personal body. these meds as all efffect everyone so much different and some drs just think there right no matter what. so get a second opinion cause theres always help for someone who has anxiety maybe a anti depresant would help. ne how good luck.. hope i wasnt too boreing..

Guest tulsaguy

hey 1 MG of xanax is a very high does of xanax for people who are not use to it.. normally its 0.25-.5 3 times a day. average. some take 1 or 2 mg tabs 3 or 4 times a day but have severe anxiety and have prolly been on awhile and have gotten use to it or xanax is just the drug that works well for the person.. and xanax is one of the more powerful benzo's valium is a less potent benzo but it has a longer half life. xanax is more powerful but shorter acting drug.. good luck

But my pdoc was like "oh no, Xanax doesn't do that." wtf.gif

I recently started pristiq and xanax and I cant function it is all I have got to get out of bed. I use to take ativan and never felt this way. Could it be the xanax.

I had similiar effects from Xanax 25 years ago-hated the drained feeling it gave me-so asked the GP about somthin different and he gave me Ativan (lorazepam) and I knew I had hit gold.

Colin