CrazyBoards.org

Well, i have been diagnosed with asperger's. and at that time i actually believed i have asperger's before even commiting myself to nuthouse (which turned out to be a bad idea) so i even kind of believe i tricked the doc to diagnose me somewhat (unintentionally of course).

the thing is, although i live in germany and she was also a german pdoc, she has worked cambridge for sometime. and she was absolutely insisting that i totally surely have asperger's (" you have asperger's, but you also have good social skills" thats a fucking paradox!). now i go to a german doc and he totally refuses the idea. he actually says that the idea of me having asperger's is beyond logic.

and meanwhile i dont believe i have aspergers either. so i kind of come to the conclusion that in the UK they have a kind of looser deifinition of asperger's than in germany.

i personally believe that asperger's is being over diagnosed right now. it may change in some years. and i find it wrong that people are getting labled as autistic. (although asperger's is actually way less of a stigma than schizophrenia and bipolar. some aspies are even proud of their abilities, rightly)

I believe everyone with this diagnosis should give it a thought. it is not dangerous or bad to per se to get a wrong diagnosis of asperger's but it could as well be dangerous if you are actually misdiagnosed and have something else. an upcoming schizophrenia can really look like aspergers. and hypomania too because it makes you talk too much and not listen or ignore what you are being told and talk about what you want. which again, looks like asperger to a not so good doctor.

cheers

polar bear

It's a fairly new diagnosis that's been getting a lot of attention lately. It's absolutely true that it used to be under-diagnosed because the diagnosis didn't exist.

I've always looked at it as a useless diagnosis and didn't really pursue it. Knowing I have that label doesn't really help me get better or live a different life. It does help me recognize some limitations and more importantly make sense of some confusing social experiences.

If the diagnosis is useful to you or not is really what matters.

I've always looked at it as a useless diagnosis and didn't really pursue it. Knowing I have that label doesn't really help me get better or live a different life. It does help me recognize some limitations and more importantly make sense of some confusing social experiences.

That's pretty much what both my doctor and I have concluded, too. It helps explain some things about me and what I find easy and hard to deal with, but since there's not really much that can be done about it directly, we just deal with things like that individually when they come up, just like anything else that's not related to it.

If the diagnosis is useful to you or not is really what matters.

I'd say you would have figured out your limitations and the problems with socialization sooner or later without the diagnosis. and people are way more tolerant than most people believe. they will think "that's the way he is" after some time and accept people. but i dont believe telling them you have asperger will help with that. i rather believe it would make things worse because with the label they will basicly think you are a psycho and that will provoke their ignorance.

i also think the diagnosis is kind of useless, unless someone a very severe case of asperger's and is basicly disabled cant lead his life and need help. (which is quite often not the case)

I think the HFAs, particularly the one labeled "Asperger", are indeed overdiagnosed.

Hell, I know some (decidedly non-autistic) people who think it's not cool to act "neurotypical".

God it just gets bizarre.

I think the HFAs, particularly the one labeled "Asperger", are indeed overdiagnosed.

Ditto. To be more precise, I too believe the higher end of Autism, especially of the Asperger sort are overdiagnosed.

I see some of Polar Bear's ideas. Such as it being diagnosed in replace of another disorder with symptoms not yet classified into. It can be dangerous and in instances, ridiculous. Not only is Aspergers and higher functioning Autism a hot topic in the field and otherwise, it's still a mystery diagnosis (it's not yet fully developed in understanding). It's like everybody being diagnosed with Minimal Brain Dysfunction.

I see some of Polar Bear's ideas. Such as it being diagnosed in replace of another disorder with symptoms not yet classified into. It can be dangerous and in instances, ridiculous. Not only is Aspergers and higher functioning Autism a hot topic in the field and otherwise, it's still a mystery diagnosis (it's not yet fully developed in understanding). It's like everybody being diagnosed with Minimal Brain Dysfunction.

I'm going to be a bit personal ;)

"autism" is a sypmtom of disorganized schizophrenia (really, do google research)

so you may have only asperger, or more probably, only disorganized schizophrenia.

making both diagnosis is sort of dumb. the important question is, did you have autism BEFORE you got the schizophrenia or not. i mean when you werw 10 or so. i personaly didn't but i got diagnosed as an adult anyways. which is super dumb because you either have autism as a child or you dont. it wont devalop when you become 15 or so. in the second case, one probably has schizophrenia. or bipolar disorder (manic people dont seem to get anything and talk about themself all the time, which looks like autism too.)

cheers

polar baer

If you actually read the stuff that comes up about that, it was classified/diagnosed as "childhood schizophrenia"...40+ years ago. There are enough things that distinguish it from things like schizophrenia that they realized a few decades ago that they're different. They respond differently to treatment, and various types of brain scans have shown different organic causes/correlations in terms of what's physically going on in the brain. They do tend to make a point of not diagnosing them simultaneously, though. The DSM specifically says that you should only be given one diagnosis or the other (not sure about the ICD, though). And if you can't tell (most) manic people from (most) autistic people fairly quickly/easily, you probably need to get out more and interact with more of each (or just people in general).

You've gone fairly quickly from "I think this is over-diagnosed" (which is quite possible and debatable and supportable) to pulling factually wrong statements about it not even existing (which is much less likely and not likely to be supported unless you can come up with something that describes the situation better than the current general consensus, not worse (and which was abandoned as outdated before I was born)). Fail.

shall we take it easy a bit? first of all, i'm not talking about childhood schizophrenia and i dont really get what i said that made you come up with it. (explain if you see fit.)

as for brain scan, they dont do it for anyone so for the time being the only thing that gets you a diagnosis is your behaviour. which is very subjective and varies from doc to doc. and most of people with psychiatric diagnosis get multiple diagnosis or get the right diagnosis very late (what did that study said? 10 years to the right bipolar diagnosis or so).

telling me that i should tell autistic people from manic or schizophrenic one is kind of funny bacause even most docs dont get it right. and btw i'm talking about tough to diagnose cases. which asperger's is, and weak forms of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia also are. if you are not so at the farest end of the spectrum of whatever you have, making a right diagnosis is not realy easy. not for docs and not for me.

[...] you probably need to get out more and interact with more of each (or just people in general).[...]

if your goal for writing this was to piss me off, you did it very well. mission accomplished. thank you for the flowers.

btw. i have seen people with schizophrenia as well as people with autism. (is 10 of each enough?) . and their behaviour overlap quite a bit. particularly the ones with disorganized schizophrenia seemed very autistic at least to me. like being in a day dreaming state all the time, can only concentrate on stuff that they want to do , talking only about stuff they want, and be really good at some stuff and very bad at other stuff. (i know this guy who is total good painter i mean really good. but you cant really have a meaningful conversation with him because he always talked about himself and didnt let you talk or change the subject. looks like autism right? but he has disorganized schizophrenia.

You've gone fairly quickly from "I think this is over-diagnosed" (which is quite possible and debatable and supportable) to pulling factually wrong statements about it not even existing (which is much less likely and not likely to be supported unless you can come up with something that describes the situation better than the current general consensus, not worse (and which was abandoned as outdated before I was born)). Fail.

I never said asperger doesnt exist. i was talking SPECIFICLY about the particular case of someone ( namely twitch) with disorganized schizophrenia and asperger's diagnosis. i know people with aspergers, and aspergers exists. you are pulling stuff out of my post that are not really there. you kind of read to good between the lines if you know what i mean.

i hope this help to clear stuff up...feel free to bash me if you see fit ;)

Yeah, Hans Asperger's original classification of Asperger Syndrome was in fact something like dementia praecox praecox, the schizophrenia of childhood. Or something like that.

Maybe we were so realistic he thought we were actually psychotic. ;) (Don't think about that one for too long, it just made my morning hydrocephalus headache much, much worse.)

Well okay, the symptoms of 'standard' schizophrenia were just as much undefined that it's possible that Hans Asperger had many reasons to get the two confused.

And anyways, as for the status of Twitch, let her speak for herself as to which symptoms she feels could be shared with Asperger or other HFA and her issues with SZ. Also note that as per her self-identified location, she resides in what I understand is a mixed state.

Also, as far as the autism issues in general, we all know that autism is a spectrum (regardless of if we consider Asperger Syndrome to be fully on it). My mother, as a case study, is diagnosed with intermittent explosive disorder (inability to hold in and/or express proper reactionary emotions; specifically, a small negative stimulus, namely from me, will cause her to go yelling and screaming as if I had killed her only son) and severe generalized anxiety disorder/possible panic disorder... and also has a few "Aspie" traits, especially the inability to use proper wording and intonation (see above) whilst speaking to others (and this goes for both her mother tongue as well English, which she learned at age 5 and now speaks with a neutral accent). Her co-workers, as per her account, are starting to think (realize, rather) that she's a "bit off" due to these "Aspie" issues.

That all said, I'm going back to my own classic line. How about we all take the label Batshit-NOS and get all the arguing done with?

That all said, I'm going back to my own classic line. How about we all take the label Batshit-NOS and get all the arguing done with?

Oh yes. batshit-nos. Roflmao

i actually came up with something similar after my former doc got totally confused about my diagnosis:

i sad i have the "atypical syndrome" (kind of oximoron and humorous i think) and she actually liked the "diagnosis".

now i rether prefer to name it "chronic madness" or "chronic pussy-headedness" or "cycloid lunacy" (which basicly means bipolar), i actually say those when someone asks me what i have. ;)

cheers

PB

Archived