CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

Surviving Schizophrenia: A Family Manual

I can't find anything good on schizoaffective disorder; this was the closest I could get. It's incredible how much of what I'm reading I can relate to.

• Like 1

I've just started reading "The Housekeeper and The Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. It's about a housekeeper who is assigned to take care of a ex-Maths professor who suffered a brain injury, giving him essentially an 80 minute memory. He takes her ten year old son under his wing and helps her to learn how to properly take care of him. I love the writing style and the characters are brilliant.

Edited by theredthread

Sounds fascinating!

I'm in the middle of 32 Yolks, a memoir from a chef, Eric Ripert. Also about to start (finally!) the Earthsea Series by Ursula LeGuin with Wizard of Earthsea.

I think I've got two more audio books from the library I've been waiting for, but I don't recall what they are at the moment.

Now I am reading "The Deadly Percheron" for the "Unreliable Narrator" section of my Popsugar 2017 Reading Challenge list. Almsot done! I've owned this book for quite some time and it is always a good read.

I'll have to try Wizard of Earthsea again some other time. It didn't grab me.

On to The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

Just finished reading "insane consequences ". It goes into the story that funds are being used to treat people with Brhavioral Science and "wellness. These programs are geared to  mild cases and the likes of people who see Big Pharma's commercials which are those with situational illnesses.

funds are not used for serious MI's even though they can prove this population will respond.

a good read!

The Moth, which is a collection of true short stories (with an introduction by Neil Gaiman -- why not?).  They were originally performed by a group of people who has experienced incredible things and had been helped to write and to tell them.  One was about a man from Arizona who was wrongly imprisoned for several years and put on death row at the age of 18.

• Like 1

Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman, a short story in the His Dark Materials universe. I'm gearing up for The Book of Dust.

Edited by saintalto

On the Move - Biography by Oliver Sacks (the famous physician, best-selling author, and prof of neurology at NYU). Well-known for his neurological case histories, including The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat...

Super interesting. He's such an amazing researcher, details the adventures of his personal life, passions, and obsessions with the brain.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

Mean Genes by Terry burnham and jay phelan. It’s about the effect genes have on your behaviour and how you can try & outwit them.

Tinderbox by Craig timberg & Daniel halperin. About the origins & spread of the Aids virus. 

With regards to mental health books , one of the best I’ve ever read is Anna by David Reed. It’s about schizophrenia. A novel but based on the husbands real life experience of his poor wife. For some reason it’s not that well known but made a big impression on me anyway

The Forgotten by David Baldacci.

The main character is an army guy and he has a cat called AWOL. I have to admit that it cracks me up.  It's the little things sometimes.

Two: The Yiddish Policeman’s Union, by Michael Charon, and The Evolution of Beauty: How Darwin’s Forgotten Theory of Mate Choice Shapes the Animal World-and Us, by Richard Prum.

On 01/07/2018 at 3:52 AM, Gearhead said:

Two: The Yiddish Policeman’s Union, by Michael Charon, and The Evolution of Beauty: How Darwin’s Forgotten Theory of Mate Choice Shapes the Animal World-and Us, by Richard Prum.

Two! I try not to do that. I sometimes think that I can read a non-fiction book at the same time that I'm reading a work of fiction, but one of them is going to be more interesting so I end up ignoring one and concentrating on the other. Best to read one at a time I find.

Anyway, I just started reading One Summer, America 1927 by Bill Bryson.

• Confused 1

The Strain by Guiellermo del Torro and Chuck Hogan

Fundamentals of Nursing Practice

Pathophysiology

(urk)

Just finished This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay. Funny and also incredibly sad. Informative too, about what it's like to work as a doctor in the NHS. It's hell, its ridiculous, and the people who work in such conditions do so for best reasons and deserve to be treated better.

In the Jaws of the Black Dog by John Bentley Mays. memoir about living with depression. i'm really enjoying his writing. the book is interspersed with his diary entries through his life, which are a treat.

just finished Lights On, Rats Out by Cree LeFavour, another memoir, documenting her experience under the care of a psychiatrist who helped her immensely when she got stuck in a habit of burning herself with cigarettes. this one i liked less than i hoped (sort of boring?) but still worth reading.

• Like 1