CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

Heroic Failure: Brexit and the Politics of Pain by Fintan O'Toole. An Irishman's take on English culture and what Brexit is all about. Interesting, intelligent and funny stuff. Probably my favourite sentence so far - "William Blake might have invited the English to see the world in a grain of sand, but Boris Johnson could invite them to see Englishness in a packet of prawn cocktail flavour crisps." He also explains where Brexit has similarities to 50 Shades of Gray, which sound a bit frivolous but even there he has a point. Poor us! Suffering under the tyranny of of the EU Nazis who want to colonise us. As an Irishman (and a sane person) he finds this bullshit a bit too much. People do mention WW2 a hell of a lot when talking about leaving the EU. Some do seem to think that the EU is a German conspiracy to conquer Europe peacefully.

Anne Widdecome compared Brexit to slaves turning on their owners. Yeah that seems like a fucking reasonable parallel to draw you dickhead. He talks about how many British people haven't gotten over WW2 or losing the empire, and he's probably right. The number of times we've heard some reference to WW2 in relation to Brexit, usually some bollocks about the "Dunkirk spirit." We've weaved a web of bullshit around that haven't we? It was a defeat! We sent soldiers to France to protect them from a Nazi invasion, and our boys didn't do much really. From the perspective of the French (surrender monkeys!) we basically ran away without doing a fucking thing. We've managed to turn this into a myth of English superiority which some people can't shut the fuck up about. But maybe it's apt. People made promises which they couldn't keep and barely averted a disaster which probably owed a lot to our own stupidity and arrogance. That Dunkirk spirit. Let's do that again and see if we can barely avoid disaster again!

I've never liked the sort of people who say "this country is going to the dogs." But the country seems to be being taken over by these twats so this country really is going to the dogs. A country run by dogs actually seems like a lovely idea. Prime Minister Pomeranian  says "arf! arf! arf! arf!" I do speak dog and that means "Let's tickle each other's bellies and make each other happy. For I have a dream, that Collies and Chow Chow's will stop their fucking yapping and peacefully sniff each others arses, and then tickle each other's bellies and realise that humans are useless to them." For it's a very concise language is dog. The war which will follow will be brutal.

I remember when I was talking about a book.

• Like 1

prawn flavored chips? the fuck?

Reading Ebola: Story of an outbreak.

It comes down to ebola sucks, but the govt down there has inadvertently caused its spread via corruption and insufficient protocols for dealing with something this contagious

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. There's an interesting story about how this novel was suppressed by the Soviet authorities. It's been described as a Russian epic in the mould of Tolstoy's War and Peace, with Stalingrad rather than the battle of Borodino or Austerlitz or whatever the fuck it was. Nah! It's not bad but that's going too far. Not as good as Tolstoy. Though not many books are so that's not a criticism.

"The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology" by Lee Ross and Richard E. Nisbett. Also working my way through "Statistics for Psychology: A Guide for Beginners". Which don't sound especially thrilling but I'm now a student and I do find psychology fascinating. Statistics somewhat less so, though I do realise how important they are and I think I understand what a standard deviation is. 

But I did recently read "Let Me Not Be Mad: A Story of Unravelling Minds" by A.K. Benjamin, which is a pseudonym, as he admits at the start. Hard to define this book. I thought it would be some case studies by a neuropsychologist, which is what he claims to be and how the book starts out. It becomes increasingly clear that it's himself that he hopes isn't mad. There's a bit of a plot twist, which you'll probably see coming, and he does sometimes "overwrite", if that makes any sense (less is sometimes more). Interesting and disturbing book though. Don't know if it's autobiography or fiction. If there's any difference between the two (something he mentions).