CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

Yesterday I started and finished "Not that kind of Girl" by Lena Dunham, the writer of the HBO show girls. 

She's had OCD since she was a child (can't comment on that, I don't have it) but I will say that it is REFRESHING AS HELL to see someone in the public eye admitting to struggling with mental illness and telling stories from the not so good days. The book is not, by any means, entirely about that, but it plays a big part.

For me personally, just in the middle of a depression relapse, it gave levity to some shit that might not deserve it but definitely needs it. Laugh or cry sometimes I tell ya. It was funny as all hell, wonderfully crafted and for just a minute, made me think that maybe I could actually amount to something. Definitely crass and has some pretty horrible sex tales, but if you've watched girls at all you know what to expect.

Also for anyone who hasn't seen the show, she broaches the subject of mental illness (the character she plays has an OCD relapse in a later season, 2 I think) in a way that I've never seen on television. AKA actually realistic. Worth a watch. Lots of naked people.

Oh dazed..... You cliff hanger you!

now I want to readnit?

Currently listening to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

im about half way through and *still* have about 40 hours to go.

Nothing serious at present.  After a move last week I unearthed a book that had been relegated to the basement for the past 20+ years.  Plenty musty, but patently hillarious.  A compendium by Bruce McCall "Zany Afternoons."  I took it with me the the car dealership as I anticipated at least two hours of waiting.  I was laughing and snorting the entire time.  These were items he did for Esquire, Playboy, National Lampoon and other magazines back in the '70s.

You need something funny to read if you have to go to a car dealership...either that or opioid sedative

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.  What if Charles Lindbergh had been elected president in 1940 instead of Roosevelt?  Alternate history, a genre I like especially if a WW2 era one,  from the perspective of a young jewish boy.  Lindbergh was a racist eugenicist.

As an extra special treat, I bought myself a non-library book today.

The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons

It's a really fun approach to some of the classic and lesser known case studies that have helped us understand how the brain (and to some extent the mind) operate.

It reminds me of a mashup of Oliver Sacks and Bill Bryson.

I'm reading The Science of Radio by Paul J. Nahin. It's a good introduction to the principles of AM radio. I have an older edition without the Matlab and Electronics Workbench demonstrations. It's an excellent book that can be read as a textbook or for self-study.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
It's very good. A science fiction post apocalyptic tale with detailed info as well as great characters.

Trilogy - first book Leviathan Wakes by James Corey (really two people one of which is George RR Martins secretary(?))
Great great space opera.  SyFy is making a series started 12/15.

Great audio books:
Neil Gaiman - American Gods 
David Mitchell - The Bone Clocks

Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. Second time reading it, agh, can't really say what it's about, or it'll ruin the plot twist. Very well written, um, suspense, mild thriller. Highly recommend it, although I didn't see the movie. 

Also recently slogged thru ALL of the Game of Thrones books. My brother suggested reading them years and years ago but I was not interested. At first I was very put off by losing so many people and parts of people but eventually it all grew on me. I want to read them all again. I skipped certain people in the beginning books, not sure yet if I liked them but I got hooked. Very excited about the last(?) book coming out in 2016. I just hope George was not affected by the HBO series. I only saw the first few minutes of the very first episode. I am sure it is wonderful but I am going to wait to watch. MY Jon Stark and MY Arya and MY Dani are too special to be tainted with Hollywood. 

A Song of Ice and Fire - the name of the series. So far there are five books. They are full of violence, sex, torture, sickness in every part of the body, mind and spirit. Once you get past all that, haahahah, they are GREAT.  Really amazing characters.  The land, above and below, comes alive as Martin weaves tales from the perspective of only a handful of people while mentioning hundreds. It is very hard to keep track of all the characters. People, animals, spirits and wraiths live in every imaginable type of culture over a world that goes from hot to deathly cold. He is a cross between Dickens, Tolkien and Stephen Donaldson. No one really comes out unscathed which for me is always difficult. This is a truly unique read. The boundaries between good and evil, ugly and beautiful, peace and violence blur but somehow I was totally drawn in. Forever now my deck reading chair will remind me of dragons. 

Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons

I think Outlander ruined Game of Thrones for me.

The sex in Outlander is just so much sexier.

I agree that Diana Gabaldon definitely knows how to write a sex scene!  Jamie, sigh.

I just got the CD version of "The Beekeeper's Apprentice."  Keep trying to get it, Woo---it's even better than I remember.

olga

Thanks, olga. I'm glad to know it's worth it.

I'm on Dostoyevsky's The Double at the moment.

It's great getting old and losing your memory.  I'm enjoying this book so much and I don't remember much of it at all!  Jenny Sterlin is such a great narrator.

Is The Double good?

olga

Yeah, memory loss can be a plus sometimes...but not when you read half a book before saying to yourself "wait a minute, I think I've read this before."   Which is still not so bad if you can't remember the rest.
Now reading "A Killing in Zion" by Andrew Hunt, a mystery I grabbed in a quick stop at library as it was on the new arrivals shelf.  The detective is a Mormon in Salt Lake City heading up an anti-polygamy squad, then murders happen, etc.  Good read so far.
Next up, "Hamilton" by Ron Chernow.  Which is the book the celebrated play is based on.  I've started this before, but Hamilton's rise from a terrible childhood is the most fascinating part to me and where I stopped before.  Will try and finish now.

Edited by Will

I've gone back to young adult fiction.

Kathy Reichs, author of the books that became the tv show Bones, has some YA books.

im listening to Virals. Well written thus far. It's about the supposed grandniece of Bones.

• Like 1

It's bleak like classic Dostoyevsky. Good book for November and madness.

Speaking of madness, it's nice to have some stuff I can't remember because I get to rediscover them again.

Now I'm nearly done with Virals by Kathy Reichs (author of the books the Bones TV show is based on). I could have sworn I answered this already. Maybe there was an update that ate some posts.

I am currently reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  It's a tougher read, emotionally, than I anticipated.

5 minutes ago, lifequake said:

I am currently reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  It's a tougher read, emotionally, than I anticipated.

I actually met Atul's father. He was or is a doctor in the town where I went to grad school.