CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

Back to mind candy with intellectual stimulation... The Science of Discworld

Currently reading "Gut" by Giulia Enders it's about your intestines and the importance of the GI tract relative to the human body. They also discuss the microbes that live in our bodies...really interesting stuff.

I'll omits my medical history books because I read them out of order and off and on.

This is my "currently reading" list. I like to have a lot of books going at once because I'm fickle with moods so I have a book in progress for every one.

Watership Down

Behind the Attic Wall 

The Pillars of the Earth

A Wrinkle in Time

MaddAddam

The Book of Three

The Neverending Story

Awakenings

Z for Zachariah

Earth Abides

The Tenant of Windfall Hall

Oh I just finished listening to A Wrinkle in Time. I read it when I was a wee Woo.

I'm listening now to The Forever Man, book 3 in the WARP series by Eoin Colfer.

And, of course, Human Anatomy and Physiology (11th Edition) by Maireb.

The Mandarins by Simone de Beauvoir.. It has these great moments but mostly so far it is this dull sort of soap opera. Am I supposed to care that one character is leaving his partner and she is sad? Or that someone else is having an affair? Really? I don't know them.. Not my type of book. From now on if someone lived their whole life and only published one work of fiction I'm going to assume that that fiction is autobiographical and approach with caution.

Allegient, the last of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth

Just finished Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo and now starting the sequel Anybody's Fool. "Great characters, very funny, yet profound." (That's my review.  I probably should be writing for the NY Times.)  I think it might make you feel better by reading it.  I liked living in it.  Actually I'm ambivalent about reading the 2d book because it came out this year and I don't want there not to be a 3rd waiting.

I plowed through the first 4 books of Game of Thrones in a row, and then decided I needed a break; there are so many characters, and all these seemingly minor events that turn into something important. I'll get back to them, though.

The book I read last was a Phryne Fisher murder mystery, Death by Water. It takes place in Melbourne, Australia. They start in 1928, but by the time this book starts, it's1929. I wonder what the story will do with the crash. The author is Kerry Greenwood, and she has written other mystery series.

I'm currently reading Through a Glass Darkly, by Kathleen Koen. It takes place in the early 18th century, and mostly revolves around the marriage of the main character and her husband. But I promise it's not a romance novel. It has a sequel and a prequel, but I've decided not to read multi-volume series all at once.

Next, I am going to read Mycroft Holmes, which is a murder mystery written by Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I adore KAJ, and would have purchased it anyway, but it is getting really good reviews. He's a good writer, he writes op-eds for the Washington Post (maybe the New York Times? But I'm pretty sure it's WaPo).

Cormac McCarthy: No Country For Old Men. The film gave me nightmares so I thought I would read the text.

Richard Flanagan: The Narrow Road To The Deep North. Incredible writing...a must read. My concentration is shot to shit lately but I managed 40 pages on the train the other day without pausing.

Daniel Silva's first book in teh Gabriel Allon series...I can't remember the title.  There are 20 something of them and I've read the earlier ones before, but I've forgotten them enough that I' starting at the beginning, even if pieces will be familiar.

• Like 1

"The Cruelest Miles" - about dogsled teams in Alaska in the 1920's who had to go snatch up medicine for dying children in an isolated community. Very riveting, compelling, and informative about future and the way of life at the time. I recommend it. It has good reviews on Amazon, too. 

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes. The first half is history, and it's rather interesting to see how things played out. 

Julie Barton's new memoir Dog Medicine: How My Dog Saved Me From Myself, 

This book tells the story about the author's where depression and how her dog saved her. 

A very good read

• Like 1