CrazyBoards.org

Do anybody know how to stop or dampen dysphoria?

I mean without cutting, burning, drinking, screaming and making a fool of one self.

I have heard about haldol in 1mg prn doses, any experience?

Hang around. Sometimes it can take people awhile to answer. Or check back. Just sayin' don't feel people are being rude if someone doesn't answer right away. They will.

I am not sure. I don't have it, I've got Major Depressive Disorder, for which I take Lexa-Pro anti-depressant. It works great for me.

I am sure you'll probably get some suggestions.

Hang in there.

- Susan

Hang around. Sometimes it can take people awhile to answer. Or check back. Just sayin' don't feel people are being rude if someone doesn't answer right away. They will.

I am not sure. I don't have it, I've got Major Depressive Disorder, for which I take Lexa-Pro anti-depressant. It works great for me.

Hang in there.

- Susan

I don't think people are rude.

Wonder why this post was moved.

Borderline dysphoria should be in personality disorder catagory.

Hang in there.

- Susan

I don't think people are rude.

Wonder why this post was moved.

Borderline dysphoria should be in personality disorder catagory.

It was probably moved because the symptoms more closely match depression than anything else.Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time....of course we all are in one form or another & that's why we're here. ;)

i frankly dont know about haldol for dysphoria. i came across [link=http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news/8525697700573E18852570AB000BFD36" target="_blank]This[/link] study which compares geodon with haldol and geodon was better than haldol but it was about dysphoric mania.

but what i really wanted to say is, you really dont want to take haldol. it's one of the antipsychotics with the nastiest side effects, some of which will not even go away after you stop it. (namely parkinson-like symptoms and tardive dyskinesia <-- weird facial ticks)

you could probably take one of the newer antipsychotics wich have way less freaky side effects, if you feel the urge to take some ;)

i'm not going to name meds. no. i wont do that. oh crap i cant hold myself back. sorry: Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal, etc. :)

I hope this helps.

cheers

polar bear

Ah, gee. Your question is is big enough to drive the Titanic through. What do you mean by dysphoria? That is a catch-all that really means "I don't feel good".

- "unpleasant or uncomfortable mood, such as sadness (depressed mood), anxiety, irritability, or restlessness"

The DSM IV says that BPD is marked by highly changeable moods, and that dysphoria should not last more than seven days. *shrug* If it lasts longer than that it isn't 'dysphoria" its depression or whatever.

Practically, the easiest way to slam moods to a halt is plenty of Atypical Antipsychotics, like Zyprexa, Seroquel, etc. Lower dosages are more likely to allow you to be functional. ;) Long term, Antidepressants may be a better choice.

Your psychiatrist will know what meds he wants to use.

Hope you feel better,

a.m.

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest_Rachel_*

I mean without cutting, burning, drinking, screaming and making a fool of one self.

This is something I do which has nothing to do with meds, it's just for while the dysphoria 'hits'. It won't stop it happening again, but this is a good alternative to cutting etc. I get in the shower and turn it on really hot, or I get in the bath and get my head under water. Someone also told me you could get a snorkel and get your head right under water so your whole body is submerged and breathe deeply and the dysphoria is less intense.

• 11 months later...
Guest Kelli

This is something I do which has nothing to do with meds, it's just for while the dysphoria 'hits'. It won't stop it happening again, but this is a good alternative to cutting etc. I get in the shower and turn it on really hot, or I get in the bath and get my head under water. Someone also told me you could get a snorkel and get your head right under water so your whole body is submerged and breathe deeply and the dysphoria is less intense.

Guest Kelli

Hey, That's what I'm trying to figure out. I see my pdoc Monday. Geodon never did anything for me. Of coarse I've been on about 40 meds in 8 years. LOL!!! Or don't LOL. Anyways. Haldol, after researching since 6am seems to be the fastest acting med, working in only 5-10min. They say take it with benadryl to stop the funky side effects. Tegretol added to Depakote is as your main meds,in an article I read, showed significant progress in lifting hostility, rage and depression. I'm going to ask about Haldol, for an as needed and for Tegretol, since I'm already on Depakote.

Right now I take:

Wellbutrin, Risperdal, Klonopin, Depakote, Topamax,

Archived