CrazyBoards.org

I think I've already had an ADD assessment but my doctor just said I "probably" have ADD and seeing as I had the symptoms it was worth treating. I tried Strattera, it didn't work. I have a new doctor now and he's referred me to a psychiatrist for an ADD assessment. I suppose this is supposed to be more official. I'm just wondering what to expect?

I think I've already had an ADD assessment but my doctor just said I "probably" have ADD and seeing as I had the symptoms it was worth treating. I tried Strattera, it didn't work. I have a new doctor now and he's referred me to a psychiatrist for an ADD assessment. I suppose this is supposed to be more official. I'm just wondering what to expect?

there are formal criteria. I had one pDoc download a test and I scored 19/20, another took a history.

I'd say a q&a or interview is what is most likely.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that tests are kind of iffy because of the novelty factor! They should probably administer the test 3 or 4 times and only count the last one, bu which time we'll all be off in la la land.

I don't know if I still am, but I used to be really good at standardized tests, in a way that I wasn't in the day to day kind we got at school, though those I could do ok on as well. But beind good at those tests didn't mean I could actually make myself STUDY, as I found out when I became a college student.

Perhaps an "assessment" will just be a series of questions covering your history, how you get by day to day, etc. If you have some old report cards, even as far back as second grade, you might take photocopies in with you. I don't know about yours, but mine have mostly good marks except for the comments about not paying attention or following directions very well.

Archived