CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro and Zoloft - Cocktail questions?

Guest Guest_Alice_*

Guest Guest_Alice_*

My boyfriend experiences utter numbness (mentally and physically) on Lexapro (10mg). However, when he has tried other

drugs or periods without the Lexapro altogether, his anxiety disorder is out of control. The trade off, I guess is that the drug prevents him from experiencing panic, but it also prevents him from feeling joy, anticipation, attraction etc. He's generally ambivalent. He has been on some kind of drug on and off for the last ten years to treat the disorder and has come to the conclusion that he'll be on some form of medication the rest of his life for anxiety and OCD. However, he does not have any symptoms of depression.

Technically, he believes that he should be taking a higher dose to control his day to day anxiety, which has gotten a bit worse lately, but since he's already so lethargic and ambivalent, he doesn't want to increase the dose. I've read that some people have been able to curb the side effects of Lexapro with a dose of Zoloft. I also heard a dose of Wellbutrin and Lexapro helps ease the sexual side effects that Lexapro is well known for. Since he's both mentally and physically ambivalent, a libido is out of the question. Anyone have any experience with a cocktail that might make the numbness subside? He can't enjoy life without the Lexapro, but life with it is a drag as well.

I know that it's trial and error...I just want to give him some options to discuss with his therapist.

Thank you.

My boyfriend experiences utter numbness (mentally and physically) on Lexapro (10mg). However, when he has tried other

drugs or periods without the Lexapro altogether, his anxiety disorder is out of control. The trade off, I guess is that the drug prevents him from experiencing panic, but it also prevents him from feeling joy, anticipation, attraction etc. He's generally ambivalent. He has been on some kind of drug on and off for the last ten years to treat the disorder and has come to the conclusion that he'll be on some form of medication the rest of his life for anxiety and OCD. However, he does not have any symptoms of depression.

Technically, he believes that he should be taking a higher dose to control his day to day anxiety, which has gotten a bit worse lately, but since he's already so lethargic and ambivalent, he doesn't want to increase the dose. I've read that some people have been able to curb the side effects of Lexapro with a dose of Zoloft. I also heard a dose of Wellbutrin and Lexapro helps ease the sexual side effects that Lexapro is well known for. Since he's both mentally and physically ambivalent, a libido is out of the question. Anyone have any experience with a cocktail that might make the numbness subside? He can't enjoy life without the Lexapro, but life with it is a drag as well.

I know that it's trial and error...I just want to give him some options to discuss with his therapist.

Thank you.

How long has he been on the Lexapro? Up to a couple of months may be needed for the initial side effects to subside after starting an SSRI or increasing the dose. I assume that's not part of the issue here...

Has he tried the Zoloft by itself?

Wellbutrin might counteract Lexapro's side effects, but I've heard that it's not the best drug to take if you have anxiety issues...

Honestly, I rather try all other SSRI's or SNRI's first before combining two different drugs that inhibit serotonin reuptake. (The danger is developing serotonin syndrome.)

P.S. Which other drugs specifically has he tried?

first: I agree with everyone here-- mixing SSRIs is not a good idea and any doctor who knows anything about antidepressants should know that and I seriously doubt something that risky would be used before trying other things (so I'm not too worried about that) ;) moving on..

wellbutrin and lexapro: they can work really well together for some people and WB is known for helping with the sexual side effects, but like Artimisia said, WB can sometimes not be so great for those with anxiety problems

it's hard to come up with ideas not knowing what else he's tried and how long he's been taking lexapro. if he's been doing the med thing for years, then I assume he's tried other SSRIs..they all affect people differently. personally, I HATED lexapro with a passion...I was such a fuzzy, drunken zombie and couldn't deal with it. zoloft has been pretty good to me, but I take it along with wellbutrin and now lamictal (a mood-stabilizer) -- but I've never had anxiety problems so I can't speak to how it would treat him, having anxiety and ocd which are pretty different from my atypical depression.

anyway, give us a little more to go on and I bet we can be more helpful :)

luck

m

Archived