CrazyBoards.org

Medical ID Bracelets for MI?

What do you think of medical ID bracelets for mental health conditions? I would like to get one, even though I am not on medication. But I wonder if it's...I don't know...appropriate? I'm just looking for some input. Thanks for your time.

What do you think of medical ID bracelets for mental health conditions? I would like to get one, even though I am not on medication. But I wonder if it's...I don't know...appropriate? I'm just looking for some input. Thanks for your time.

For a condition like epilepsy, in which you may lose consciousness because of the condition, you'd want a backup means to let first responders know that you have a medical history. Since accidents do happen, it might also be good for conditions like psychosis or dissociation, in which you may not be coherent or "present" enough to provide needed information.

If you're being treated with a medication with severe potential medical interactions, like an MAOI, it's a very good idea - whether you disclose the reason for being on it or not.

For a condition like epilepsy, in which you may lose consciousness because of the condition, you'd want a backup means to let first responders know that you have a medical history.

While the subject is being discussed, I've been meaning to get one for the past two or three years for that very reason, but I still don't have one. I've never been able to get a straight answer on what does or doesn't belong on one if I get one, even from my doctor, so it keeps getting put off, and I forget about it for a few months at a time. If anyone knows anything, I'd be interested to hear about it, too.

seems a personal choice RE: MI, but they now make wristbands and watches, lessening the chance that an explanation would be needed.

just hoping emergency responders are trained to look at watches and wristbands as well as the typical bracelet.

another thing... want your nosy boss to ask about that thing on your wrist? or nosy neighbor?

You can have whatever you want on the tag, of course letters are limited.

I have "Bipolar" and "Asthma" on mine. Those are my two biggest health threats. I figured that would alert medics, if I'm unconcious from an asthma attack, or if I'm incoherent or unresponsive during a manic episode, plus it's a quick cue, that I"m taking psych meds with lots of possible interactions.

The Medic Alert folks have Registered Nurses answering the phones who will review your meds and conditions and make recommendations as to what you should put on the tag. The one I talked to was very friendly, experienced and made me feel quite comfortable.

a.m.

I was concerned about this too, since I'm on lamictal and could have a seizure if its abruptly stopped.

So my thought was instead of wearing a bracelet was to put a sticker on my health care card.

Med ID bracelets are a smart idea and invention,you can google it and find many companies provide it online too.If you don't take any meds still having one is not bad idea.

http://www.jewelbasket.com/medical-alert-id-bracelets.html

just a sample of 1

I hope you make up your mind or can even gift your loving 1 if you want i believe,its such a thoughtful gift.

Thanks for the input. You brought up some good points.

I've made a tentative decision to plan on getting a cheap, basic stainless steel bracelet with my full name, illness, and "See Wallet Card" engraved on it. I could put some crucial details on the card.

Although I don't currently take medication, my illness affects the way I'd behave in an emergency situation. I really want them to know that, and hopefully help me out by calling psych to the scene ASAP. At the very least, I'd love it if the bracelet could alert them to treat me in a way that reduces the chance of my losing control, going ballistic and complicating what they need to do medically. There are also some drug contraindications they need to know, which ought to go onto the card.

It's a good point about the privacy concerns over a boss, neighbor or other local busybody seeing- but I've come across some bracelets that are really discreet. They look like regular jewelry, except for the plate part that I could turn inwards to face my wrist. Medics could see it, but snoops couldn't.

I think I'm pretty much convinced. I intend to get the bracelet when I can.

Archived