CrazyBoards.org

30 ys old and a cutter

You are not alone.

I didn't start cutting until I was 28.

Best news though- is that I am in my early 40's and havn't cut in almost 10 yrs.

I think the combo of therapy and meds, but especially a year of DBT as that is when i stopped and never did it again. Its sooo hard, but it can be done.

thank you. i feel so alone in this condition. i did cut in high school and then due to major amounts of stress due to my marriage falling apart, money issues and a major anxiety/agoraphobia problem, i started cutting again. i think i need to get to a doctor to discuss treatment.

what kind of meds are given to cutters? i am already on celexa for depression/anxiety, xanax for anxiety, and topamax for migraines.

No real meds for it, you need therapy, DBT to be exact. Although, my pdoc said that klonopin can lower the inhibition, and that's doesn't help. I don't know that xanax would be the same way. Personally, I think the stuff is evil, because I became addicted, and withdrawal was horrible. Have you talked to your pdoc about a "gentler" benzo?

i'm 31 and a cutter, well mostly i burn now. They put me on naltrexone (revia) for the burning so i have started cutting again. I started when i was 15 and have done it on and off since then. i am trying to stop for good, but it's so hard. i haven't cut/burned in about 3 weeks so far.

I'm 32 and have been cutting or burning since I was a teen. I haven't done anything in a little over a year and I do still ocassionally get the urge, but then I think about how easy it would be to totally lose control and go too far. That line of thought has kept me safe. I hope things go well for you and I wish you luck.

AG

I'm 47 an I've cut and burned for years. Therapy is the best option, but you need to be ready for help for it to work...I'm still burning, so I wish I could keep you safe, but you have to keep you safe when you are ready to.

Very best wishes and blessings

Panz

No real meds for it, you need therapy, DBT to be exact. Although, my pdoc said that klonopin can lower the inhibition, and that's doesn't help. I don't know that xanax would be the same way. Personally, I think the stuff is evil, because I became addicted, and withdrawal was horrible. Have you talked to your pdoc about a "gentler" benzo?

yeah, i am severally addicted to xanax. i had a horrible month and ran out 2 weeks early and went into withdrawal. i almost went to the ER on sunday, but my on call doc just called me in 10 emergency xanax to get through the rest of the month. i went to talk to my doc today and i just can't muster up the strength to tell him that i am a cutter.

i cut on my left forearm so now that summer is coming people are starting to ask questions. i can only say my cat attacked me in the exact same spot so many times. i know people know i am lying, but it's hard for me to open up to random people who might judge me. that is my main issue with my soon to be ex. he never tried to be sympathetic or help me. he just told me i was dumb and to quit acting like an over-dramatic teenager!

• 2 months later...
Guest raybo

i am 30 years old and a cutter. is there anyone out there like me?

my name is raybo ,25years as a cutter, its fukin devasting, you gotta cry,work out, have sex anything for a fukin release,cause if i didnt; actually i am very fortunate i pray for you and im not a god type person. raybo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did it in high school, then I had a "spat" of it two years ago...Heavy stuff marriage-wise, life-wise, health-wise.

Not cutting anymore-got past rough patch.

I'm mid-thirties.

Beating myself up for it didn't stop me, btw. I had to allow for the possibility I might do it before I could stop doing it.

• 1 month later...

I just turned 30 this year....and I currently struggle with SI - this was my coping mechanism I learned to use when taking and when weaning of meds....I might not have made it through withdrawal w/out it...I feel alone too - I have never actually met someone else who struggles with SI...

Archived