CrazyBoards.org

alcohol and benzos

I am currently taking 3.75mg of Tranxene BID, with the option of taking 3.75 in the morning and 7.5 in the evening depending on how I feel I am doing. I also take flexeril at bedtime. I know alcohol and benzos do not or should not mix but, can anybody tell me if they have had any severe side effects from having one or two drinks (not doubles, just regular drinks) and then taking a benzo a couple of hours later. I ask because I did indeed have 2 margaritas tonight to celebrate a friends graduation from law school and there are more graduation parties this weekend. Maybe I am being paranoid, I just don't want to feel worse because I did not take my tranxene out of fear of side effects. And yes, I am aware I should be scolded for drinking with benzos.

The biggest interaction/side effect concern with them is of course "becoming dead", but that's generally when they're in larger amounts. In smaller amounts, they tend to increase each other's effects, so if normally taking your benzo sedates you x amount, and having a drink or two does y amount, the two combined will frequently hit you harder than x+y would suggest. In other words, most people tend to get more drunk more quickly, or more sleepy, or more forgetful, and so on. Flexeril potentially adds more on top of that.

What it comes down to is that one or two drinks probably won't do anything too horrible to you, but until you do know the effects all of those things combined have on you, it's best to be careful, drink less than you normally would and in a relatively safe setting (With friends at someone's house? Sure, go for it. At Mardi Gras or on spring break? Asking for trouble. Heh.), and make sure you don't have some sort of weird reaction to the combination.

The US (and doctors in the US) seems to be particularly paranoid about things like that and just says, "Don't do it! At all! Ever!" while some other countries, like the UK, are more willing to give out information about the interactions and suggest, "Do it less and within reason, and you'll probably survive ok."

Thank you for the insight. It has been a while since I was on a benzo and I have NEVER had any alcohol when taking them in the past. My tranxene works great and I don't want to mess that up.

Archived