CrazyBoards.org

second seizure

a couple days ago i had my second seizure....

i havent told anyone about it becuase i dont want to freak them out. both times i have had them were when i was taking naps, and it was like i woke up just enough to know iw as having it and could not move and my eyes were fluttery and there was a really loud ringing in my ears. i dont think it lasted more then a couple minutes but goddamn if it isnt scary. the first one i estimated lasted about 15 to 20 minutes.

im pretty sure its becuase im weaning off the klonopin but i have been going kind of fast every 10 days or so i drop a .25 mg. they reccomend you drop a mg .25 once a month.

the last time i had one was 2 months ago, so its not as if its that frequent. i just hope once im off the anxiety meds they will stop and that its just part of the withdrawal process.

can you just have then when you sleep?

there have been other times when i woke in the morning and my tongue and jaw hurt a lot but i have no recolection of having one.

i take 1.25 mg of klonopin and weaning down.

Just wondering, but do you somehow know that's what it was, or are you just guessing? I will explain...

i havent told anyone about it becuase i dont want to freak them out.

If everything you're saying is true/accurate and not just guesswork, you'll freak them out a lot less by telling them than by becoming dead/permanently damaged.

i dont think it lasted more then a couple minutes but goddamn if it isnt scary. the first one i estimated lasted about 15 to 20 minutes.

If either of them lasted more than a couple minutes, it's either highly unlikely that it was a seizure, or it was an extraordinarily bad one that you should've told someone about immediately afterwards, and still should, like a doctor so they can do something about it while you still have a brain left. Normally they don't last more than a minute or two. If they do last more than five minutes, that's one of those "seek immediate medical attention" situations, where hopefully there's someone else around to seek it for you, because it can have severe permanent effects, up to and including death.

im pretty sure its becuase im weaning off the klonopin but i have been going kind of fast every 10 days or so i drop a .25 mg. they reccomend you drop a mg .25 once a month.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but a quarter milligram every ten days is not all that quickly. If you are susceptible to them in the first place, that could be enough to do it, but that's generally a relatively safe rate to go at (which doesn't mean you won't have any withdrawal effects, just that they're more likely to be other things).

If you're just guessing about what's happening and aren't sure, there are two likely scenarios (from my point of view). The more likely one, I think, is that they're more related to the anxiety side of what the med you're stopping does, like severe panic attacks or sleep paralysis or something along those lines. The less likely one is that your brain pushed the self-destruct button and went into status epilepticus and you should go see your doctor two months ago. Because of the possibility of the latter, I vote for risking the chance that you freak people out by telling someone, like your doctor, on Monday, because possibly freaking people out beats possibly not waking up next time it happens.

With any luck, that's not what's happening (I'm not a doctor, am not there to see it happen, and don't know your full history, among other things, so I obviously can't say one way or the other), but it would be really good to make sure. Not to freak you out or anything, but really, Do Not Ignore this. Seizures, particularly 20-minute-long ones, tend to fall under the category of Things Which Are Really Bad.

well the 20 minute long one was when i stopped taking ativan cold turkey. very stupid on my part. since then my doc switched me to klonopin and i have been weaning off becuase i dont want to be on anxiety meds anymore. ive looked up seizure symptoms and some other things on web md and such places and the things that have been happening to me sound like partial siezures.

the reason im coming off the benzodiazapines so slow is i have been on them daily for 3 years.

im confused. people live with epilepsy and seizures every day? why would this kill me or make me into a vegetable when so many people live with this condition?

maybe i think im too tough for my own good i dont know.

Yes, you are denying the danger and being too tough.

Uncontrolled epilepsy tends to be a progressive and destructive disease (to the brain). Every seizure (no matter WHAT caused it) increases the chances of having more and worse seizures [Kindling theory].

Yes people live with epilepsy, and you read about them having seizures. Some die, some experience continuing decline in mental functioning and happiness, and some don't change. But so too, do people live with untreated diabetes, high blood pressure, lead poisoning, artery blockage, etc. Some die, some experience continuing decline in mental functioning and happiness, and some don't change.

But it isn't smart to ignore the problem!

You need to call your pdoc and inform him about the possible seizures. You need to call your GP/Internist and let him start checking you out physically.

If you think it's hard making a living now, try it 10 years, after you have been losing a fraction of a percent of your cognitive ability each year. ;)

Don't screw around with possible epilepsy. Take care of yourself first. best, a.m.

well thats what i dont get klonopin is an anti seizure med and anti anxiety....

Every person has a "seizure threshold." Healthy living and mental habits tend to raise it a bit, anticonvulsants more so; mental illness, some drugs, lack of sleep, blood sugar disregulation, stress, etc. can lower it. Decreases in anticonvulsant meds, including benzos, can lower it as well. Seizures really lower it, practically permanently.

So you've lowered the dosing of an anticonvulsant that keeps anxiety-generated stress at bay. Add some more stressors, and it's not impossible to seize without having epilepsy.

Imagine it as a pressure gage - keep piling enough stressors in excess of your relief mechanisms and eventually anyone can redline.

Stay in the red zone too long - status epilepticus - and the resulting steam explosion may require a pine box for the cleanup.

Of course, sleep paralysis + anxiety could feel the same, but you won't know for sure unless you are open with your doctor about the whole thing.

im confused. people live with epilepsy and seizures every day? why would this kill me or make me into a vegetable when so many people live with this condition

People do live with it, but it sucks. A lot. Maybe try reading through some of the other threads in this section and see why you want to make sure you don't keep having them. I was having them up to three times a day at one point, and it was just not ok. No, I didn't die or anything, but I was basically a dumbass the entire time (as in, I was stupid in general and couldn't think clearly, even to do things that were easy before that), and I had pretty severe memory problems. It's much better now that I'm on meds that stop them, but I'm still not the same as I used to be before all that started. You don't want to let it get to that point, if that is what's actually happening. It's much easier to just not have it happen in the first place or to stop it as soon as possible. SUDEP might help convince you it sucks, too.

Anyway, hopefully that's not what's happening, or if it is, hopefully it won't happen again, because the more it happens, the more likely it is to keep happening, and it makes life much easier to not have to deal with crap like that. You don't have to make a big deal about it and tell your parents/friends/family/whoever if you really don't want to, but at least mention it to your doctor so they can make sure you're ok. Take care of your brain; you only get one, and no "do overs" if you screw it up.

i decided if i have another one i will go to the hospital...thanks!

im confused. people live with epilepsy and seizures every day? why would this kill me or make me into a vegetable when so many people live with this condition

People do live with it, but it sucks. A lot. Maybe try reading through some of the other threads in this section and see why you want to make sure you don't keep having them. I was having them up to three times a day at one point, and it was just not ok. No, I didn't die or anything, but I was basically a dumbass the entire time (as in, I was stupid in general and couldn't think clearly, even to do things that were easy before that), and I had pretty severe memory problems. It's much better now that I'm on meds that stop them, but I'm still not the same as I used to be before all that started. You don't want to let it get to that point, if that is what's actually happening. It's much easier to just not have it happen in the first place or to stop it as soon as possible. [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUDEP" target="_blank]SUDEP[/link] might help convince you it sucks, too.

Anyway, hopefully that's not what's happening, or if it is, hopefully it won't happen again, because the more it happens, the more likely it is to keep happening, and it makes life much easier to not have to deal with crap like that. You don't have to make a big deal about it and tell your parents/friends/family/whoever if you really don't want to, but at least mention it to your doctor so they can make sure you're ok. Take care of your brain; you only get one, and no "do overs" if you screw it up.

• 7 months later...

In your previous response, you said you might consider going to the EMERG if you have another seizure, what if you are in a public place and don't have the luxury of considering? They will haul you off to the EMERG and you will likely wake up in the back of an ambulance... (I sure did my first couple of times...) And if you have a license (I am not sure if you do...) you can forget about keeping it... There are a thousand scenario's we can all play in our heads... I just know that each and everytime I have had a grand-mal I called 911... I didn't know it then but it probably saved my life... (Put me on a decent anti-epileptic and let me live a normal life...)

I sincerely wish you all the best.

You have been on benzos for 3 years daily? Goodness!

The reason withdrawal can lead to seizures is because your brain is relying on the meds to regulate your brain function in simple terms. The medication increases the neurotransmitter which slows down neurological transmission in your brain from cell to cell. That makes it useful to help prevent seizures in certain people for certain situations. So when the medication is decreased along with the amount of time you've been on benzos. your body can't slow things down on its own. The result is a seizure. I dont know if that is what you are having but it sure sounds serious.

It is the same thing when you stop taking an anti depressant or cut down. It can lead to depression. I hope this is a medically supervised withdrawal process.

hi,

cbl wrote:

The reason withdrawal can lead to seizures is because your brain is relying on the meds to regulate your brain function in simple terms. The medication increases the neurotransmitter which slows down neurological transmission in your brain from cell to cell. That makes it useful to help prevent seizures in certain people for certain situations. So when the medication is decreased along with the amount of time you've been on benzos. your body can't slow things down on its own. The result is a seizure. I dont know if that is what you are having but it sure sounds serious.

is this a correct explanation?

db

im confused. people live with epilepsy and seizures every day? why would this kill me or make me into a vegetable when so many people live with this condition?

Yes. People live with epi. and seizures every. freaking. day. They lose their careers, right to drive. Happened to me. I'm so screwed up our even MORE screwed up government has deemed me "disabled." That's right. I am unable to work at any job at all. Oh, I'm so proud. Putting my college education and 22 year career in the crapper due to seizures. And SUDEP is always a threat. Hell, I woke up gagging the other night, tongue torn up, my head over the side of the bed, trying to catch my breath. Yeah, it's great fun. And I was diagnosed just three years ago and have been told my brain is atrophied quite a bit, based on the latest MRI.

So don't mess around. Call your doctor. If you think you're having 20 minute seizures, well, some testing needs to be done. Best of luck weaning off the meds...I'm sure it's not easy.

• 3 months later...

i havent told anyone about it becuase i dont want to freak them out. both times i have had them were when i was taking naps, and it was like i woke up just enough to know iw as having it and could not move and my eyes were fluttery and there was a really loud ringing in my ears. i dont think it lasted more then a couple minutes but goddamn if it isnt scary. the first one i estimated lasted about 15 to 20 minutes.

the last time i had one was 2 months ago, so its not as if its that frequent. i just hope once im off the anxiety meds they will stop and that its just part of the withdrawal process.

can you just have then when you sleep?

there have been other times when i woke in the morning and my tongue and jaw hurt a lot but i have no recolection of having one.

i take 1.25 mg of klonopin and weaning down.

i would say talk to your doctor about this. it sounds like it could be a result of coming down from the medication.

i have had 2 grand mal seizures and believe me when you have them you have no clue what is going on. you are not present for the entire episode and do not know that you are seizing. it's not until you arrive in the ER a half hour later and are completely and utterly distorted and don't know what the fuck is going on and are fighting with the doctors/nurses/paramedics to get you out of their because your brain/mind is COMPLETELY unaware of the seizure and what occured during it. you are TOTALLY confused following a grand mal. i've also had 2 other smaller seizures and i can tell you that when you are having even a small seizure you are completely unaware of what is happening until you "come to".

any type of seizure at all blacks you out. it depends on the severity of the seizure as to how much of it you remember leading up to it, i.e. what you were doing, what happened during the seizure and once you come to.

so talk to your pdoc about this because it doesn't sound like an actual seizure since you are aware of what is happening to you. true seizures you black out and have no memory AT ALL of the event.

the only reason i know what happened during mine is because i constantly ask my husband what i did/said/acted like.

i've also had 2 other smaller seizures and i can tell you that when you are having even a small seizure you are completely unaware of what is happening until you "come to".

any type of seizure at all blacks you out. it depends on the severity of the seizure as to how much of it you remember leading up to it, i.e. what you were doing, what happened during the seizure and once you come to.

so talk to your pdoc about this because it doesn't sound like an actual seizure since you are aware of what is happening to you. true seizures you black out and have no memory AT ALL of the event.

the only reason i know what happened during mine is because i constantly ask my husband what i did/said/acted like.

Not true. That only happens with some types of seizures. With some of the most common kinds, that doesn't happen at all. With simple partials, there is no change in or loss of awareness, and with complex partials, while there is some screwing around with awareness of what's going on and/or memory, it's pretty normal to have at least some sense of what's going on. The vast majority of seizures I've had were complex partials, and only maybe twice did I end up having NO idea what had just happened. Generally I get a bit mixed up, but I'm still at least conscious.

With generalized seizures, like tonic clonic (grand mal) or absence (petit mal) seizures, your description sounds pretty typical, but there's a pretty decent variety of partial/focal seizures that do all sorts of different things.

Not true. That only happens with some types of seizures. With some of the most common kinds, that doesn't happen at all. With simple partials, there is no change in or loss of awareness, and with complex partials, while there is some screwing around with awareness of what's going on and/or memory, it's pretty normal to have at least some sense of what's going on. The vast majority of seizures I've had were complex partials, and only maybe twice did I end up having NO idea what had just happened. Generally I get a bit mixed up, but I'm still at least conscious.

With generalized seizures, like tonic clonic (grand mal) or absence (petit mal) seizures, your description sounds pretty typical, but there's a pretty decent variety of partial/focal seizures that do all sorts of different things.

then i stand corrected. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Not true. That only happens with some types of seizures. With some of the most common kinds, that doesn't happen at all. With simple partials, there is no change in or loss of awareness, and with complex partials, while there is some screwing around with awareness of what's going on and/or memory, it's pretty normal to have at least some sense of what's going on.

True. Yippers, and all that. I'll "lose time" but I can always remember what occured prior to the complex seizure. And they never, ever last twenty minutes! I just had surgery last week and coming out of the post-op haze, I felt a complex partial coming on...ya know, the epigastric rising followed by my left arm starting to to jerk, the lovely LOUD buzzing in the ears...

I just said to the wide-eyed nurse, "Oh, CRAP, here we go."

Apparantly much vomiting ensued thereafter. Don't recall a thing after that but I did lose consciousness. Normally I don't. I just nap for a bit. Oh, and Dilantin was injected at some point into my IV. BUT! Back to the matter at hand, with partial seizures you usually start off cognizant, or know what is about to happen so you can get to a safe place. What happens next, well, it's up to your messed up brain, sorry to say. No control. That's what makes "E" such fun. What's around the next corner?

Archived