CrazyBoards.org

I was just put on 50mgs of Topamax a day, 25mgs of Lamictal a day, and 1mg of Ativan in case of emergency. I had a seizure on Thursday and on Friday. I had been taking 1,000mgs of Keppra a day, but I stopped taking it a couple of weeks ago. I've been reading the side effect information, but it hasn't been really helpful. Has anyone else been on this cocktail or one similar to this? Can anyone tell me what their experiences were like or somethings I might expect?

Thank you so much! I started the Topamax last night(I also took the ativan last night) , and took both the Topamax and Lamictal this morning.

Again, thank you!

In my personal experience, and the general, anecdotal experience of people on the boards, that's not enough of either of those to really do anything at all for seizures for most people. Are those just the starting doses while you work up to something more, or are you supposed to stay that low? By themselves, at least (I don't know about combined), Topamax and Lamictal aren't really considered to be in the therapeutic range until 200mg/day or more. I've only taken them separately, but both of them did work to (mostly) prevent seizures for me, but not until I was taking a higher dose.

I think because my nuero was on vacation, the doc taking his place put me on such a low dose just in case? Not sure. I just saw my neuro today and he's taking me off of the Topamax and starting me on a starter pack of Lamictal. I had an eeg today and it was normal, so I think that's part of the reason he took me off of the Topamax. He's actually leaving the place I go to in a month so I have to start with a whole 'nother neuro. Joy. Thank you for the info =D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soon2bdownunder

I think because my nuero was on vacation, the doc taking his place put me on such a low dose just in case? Not sure. I just saw my neuro today and he's taking me off of the Topamax and starting me on a starter pack of Lamictal. I had an eeg today and it was normal, so I think that's part of the reason he took me off of the Topamax. He's actually leaving the place I go to in a month so I have to start with a whole 'nother neuro. Joy. Thank you for the info =D

Ask your neuro which neuro he suggests when he scoots out & get a copy of your records. They seem to get lost these days. Plus it's easier to put them in their face, than to expect them to search for it.

Luckily he did recommend someone to me and it wasn't his on call guy for when he was on vacation. Weird. It's a woman he likes a lot, so I made an appt. with her for June. It's at the same clinic as my original neuro, so luckily my file won't have to travel far *crosses fingers*. Thank you for the advice!!!

[]Ask your neuro which neuro he suggests when he scoots out & get a copy of your records. They seem to get lost these days. Plus it's easier to put them in their face, than to expect them to search for it.

Archived