CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Becca

Personality Disorders

There are currently 10 personality disorders defined in the DSM-IV.  They fall into three clusters.

Cluser A: Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal

Cluser B: Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic

Cluser C: Avoidant, Dependant, Obsessive-Compulsive.

Descriptions of each PD, from this site, which also has a good breakdown of cluster traits and a general overview of personality disorders.

Cluster A

Schizoid Personality Disorder

Schizoid personalities are introverted, withdrawn, solitary, emotionally cold, and distant. They are often absorbed with their own thoughts and feelings and are fearful of closeness and intimacy with others. For example, a person suffering from schizoid personality is more of a daydreamer than a practical action taker.

Paranoid Personality Disorder

The essential feature for this type of personality disorder is interpreting the actions of others as deliberately threatening or demeaning. People with paranoid personality disorder are untrusting, unforgiving, and prone to angry or aggressive outbursts without justification because they perceive others as unfaithful, disloyal, condescending or deceitful. This type of person may also be jealous, guarded, secretive, and scheming, and may appear to be emotionally

Becca,

I can't find anything to relate these two, but now my tdoc and pdoc have thrown in PTSD, on top of borderline.

Jesus, Murphy and Josephine. When the hell are they going to make up their minds? If borderlines have a hard time with identity, what the hell does that make my docs?

I've come a long way from anxiety and depression, and I have been working with them, but this new one threw me a curve. It makes sense, but I'm getting tired of digging deeper to find more bad stuff.

So could PTSD and Borderline be related or what. They don't like to talk about it too much, about diagnoses, but when they do, they seem to add new stuff. Is that just to keep me interested?

I would like to have a little stability about my instabilities if that is possible.

Yikes,

Nervy

Edited to say, Ooops, I don't think I should have replied here. Sorry, feel free to move or delete.

Edited by nervyboy

Great article from World Psychiatry, October 2003:

"Personality Disorder Diagnosis" (pages 131 -135)

Excerpt: "Every person has a characteristic manner of thinking, feeling and relating to others. Some of these personality traits can be so dysfunctional as to warrant a diagnosis of personality disorder. The Word Health Organization's International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) includes ten personality disorder diagnoses. Three issues of particular importance for the diagnosis of personality disorders are their differentiation from other mental disorders, from general personality functioning, and from each other. Each of these issues is discussed in turn, and it is suggested that personality disorders are more accurately and effectively diagnosed as maladaptive variants of common personality traits."

The article also discusses DSM-IV/ICD-10 differences, and Axis I/II problems.

Edited by graduation day

shucks without the bipolar 2 ups and downs, BPD wouldn't be much fun

airplane

shucks without the bipolar 2 ups and downs, BPD wouldn't be much fun

airplane

I don't think anyone thinks of personality disorders as fun. Hence the use of the term, "disorder." Nor do I think anyone thinks of either the manic or the depressive episodes of bipolar disorder as fun. If you are finding your moods to be so enjoyable, there's an excellent chance you've been misdiagnosed. You should address this with your pdoc ASAP, for your own good.

I literally have every single one of this except for obsessive- because I'm not organized enough for that one.

anybody else with histronic, borderline, all of them?

coming from conspiracy forums, the last 2 months, to obsessing on news sites,

to find this site, and intelligent, proactive 'depressed' people is a huge sigh of relief.

if youre bipolar, or possible bpd, schitzophrenic, or otherwise

conspiracy websites are not healthy at all, until atleast you can stabilize. even if the sites are accurate.

anyways. this forum is informative and not just people focusing on the negative, dont have the energy to focus on just the bad anymore. this is problyt he first 'depression' forum ive found that isnt depressing.

I went sober off alcohol, like 16 months ago and never got any better mentally exactly. (everybody seemed to think alcohol was the root cause of my issues)

so great, i have every single one of these. not suprised due to the hectic live ive had.

added some of the books to my cart on amazon. any of you guys wound up stuck in a 2012 Armageddon obsession? at this point even if that kind of thing is true, im not going out of this world obsessing.

so yea, again anybody have all of the personality classes?

Welcome. Glad you like it here.

I think that it's important to let the doctors do the diagnosing. I have felt at times that I have had bits and pieces of many of the personality disorders, but I really only meet full criteria for Borderline.

if youre bipolar, or possible bpd, schitzophrenic, or otherwise

conspiracy websites are not healthy at all, until atleast you can stabilize. even if the sites are accurate.

Why's that?

No personality disorder is 'bad.'

It takes a qualified professional a long observation period before they can diagnose you with a personality disorder, it's not possible to have the pobjectivity to self diagnose and several of these traits exist healthily in sane people who would never get a diagnosis. A pdoc is the best person to ask about which you would possibly have.

i have had quite a bit of fun with mine :) i think it sucks to be ordinary.

It also took them 6 years to work it out. so i feel quite good about that.

I also feel that they won't take it away from me.

Edited by isthisit?

Wow, lots of info to chew over - this side of psychiatric disorders is new to me (in the sense I am learning about them) but I suspect I fall into several - pending diagnosis end of October! Wish me luck!

An interesting site on personality disorders and "normal" washing machine setting personality types is:

ptypes.com

There are links to other sites on their website. The site goes into details about each personality disorder and personality types.

An interesting site on personality disorders and "normal" washing machine setting personality types is:

ptypes.com

There are links to other sites on their website. The site goes into details about each personality disorder and personality types.

I went to your suggested site ptypes.com, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Axis 2 Personality Disorders

as diagnosed by a Psychiatrist with the DSM.  It has nothing to do with these psychiatric illness.

"This website is dedicated to the study and practice of Stoicism"  This is philosophy, not medicine.

ptypes.com

I went to your suggested site ptypes.com, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Axis 2 Personality Disorders

as diagnosed by a Psychiatrist with the DSM.  It has nothing to do with these psychiatric illness.

"This website is dedicated to the study and practice of Stoicism"  This is philosophy, not medicine.

Here is the direct link to the personality disorders page:

http://www.ptypes.com/overviews.html

The personality disorders are on the right hand side inside a box. They list 4 catagories rather than three and group them differently than other sites.