CrazyBoards.org

I thought that I'd be the one to never have diabetes despite my four food groups being pasta, rice, chocolate, and bread. Duh! Serotonin problem? Every six months I get my blood work done and it always comes back normal. I wanted to see what would happen if I ate but said that it was a fasting test. Came back 11. So then I did another blood sugar testing at a health fair and it came back 11. So I bought a monitor, tester, and strips. No matter what time of the day and regardless of how little I eat my sugar levels are 10, 11, or 12. I am worried. I am having nerve problems and I think this might be why. Has anyone changed antipsychotics for this reason?

Yes the antipsychotics can drive blood sugar levels high. In fact last month the FDA slapped the hands of one of the manufacturers for failing to report incidents of their med causing diabetes (I think it was Zyprexa).

Your numbers don't make sense to me. The meters I have seen give run the scale from say, 0 - 300. With around 80 being considered normal and over 100 being high blood sugar. (at least thats the screening guidelines).

Go see your GP. This is easy to check and easy to fix. If you are having nerve problems than get your butt in gear! ;)

I worked in a prosthetic facility, and saw diabetic amputees every day. Don't screw around with this.

best. a.m.

Hey

About the numbers, its just two different scales, like pounds and kgs, it means the same thing at the end of the day.

It should be around 5-7, unless your diabetic already, its a little higher. So i think that you should go get that checked out. 11 is not to high but its high enough. If you have increased blood sugar, your body will produce more insulin to take that sugar into the cells, Hyperinsulineamia ( high insulin), causes type two diabetes. The insulin can damage your cells and cause glucose intolerance (glucose won't be taken up into the cells) - again the picture of high blood sugar!

Its also the fact that most of the antipsychotics cause weight. If you gain your weight around your middle (over your tum) it puts you at risk for all disease of the life style, mainly diabetes and hypertension. Its got to do with the size and distribution of fat cell around your middle. I won't bore you with the exact details. As a reference piont, your weight hip ratio should ideally be <1 for a man and <0.85 for a female. Check that out too!

Even if the antipsychotics are causeing the high blood sugar, the high blood sugar can cause the damage so you should check it out either way.

Better safe then sorry.

Its one thing that makes more worry a little with antipsychotics.

Please note that all I said is very simplified and hope it makes sense!

Let us know what you find out

Take care, and hope all is ok.

love

Ash

Thank you. Yes it is a problem and yes I will deal with it. I know what the consequences are. Has anyone changed meds because of it? I don't want an amputation and I can't feel my fingers right now. How can the levels be high yet I've had ok CBC's? It slips under the radar? It is no fun eating so little. I'm going to eat like a bird now. That's after being on vacation and eathing well for a couple of weeks.

I have diabetes, thanks to Seroquel. However, it's the only drug that makes me semi sane, so I am back on the Seroquel after trying a number of alternatives that didn't work. I am also on Glipizide for the blood sugar and am working on losing weight.

Hie thee to your general doc and get this taken care of.

The meters I have seen give run the scale from say, 0 - 300. With around 80 being considered normal and over 100 being high blood sugar. (at least thats the screening guidelines).

Nonono. Meters can go to, well, when I was a kid my meter went to 820, but that was I guess default for "um way too high". Now my meter says "hi glucose" for anything over 600. If a meter stops at 300 it needs to go in the trash. (10 mintues ago my reading was 333 btw--bad me)

Any fasting blood sugar over 130 is considered "prediabetic", generally speaking.

Now. Take it from a long-time diabetic. Most AAPs--zyprexa and clozaril are the WORST--will mess with your blood sugar. They can also mess with your insulin absorption, thus compounding the problem. This can be alleviated with proper diet and exercise--which, as we all know, is about 10 times as difficult on your average AAp (zyprexa had me sleeping half the day, and as for the rest, if I wasn't on the couch I was face first in the snack cabinet--thank God I was only on it for six weeks!).

As for nerve damage--this is only a consequence of long term diabetes. I've been a diabetic for over 24 years now. I've had some nerve issues--pretty rare ones for my age, really--and considering I've been smoking for well over 10 years, no surprise there. But the deal is, as time goes on, the capillaries get crapped up thus causing them to shut off blood to the peripheral nerves, and the nerve endings die. Thus, you lose feeling--generally in the toes/feet first as these are the farthest away. I sincerely doubt your fingers would be affected, and certainly not by AAPs.

Aside from that, if you're worried, i might recommend an a1c. It's a longer term look at your blood glucose level. It shows a 3-6 month average. Check with your doc on this one. It'll show about where you lie in the potential "damage zone". Be aware that for many years I was into the "danger zone" and only in the past few years began to pull into "normal" and I still have all my extremities.

an HbA1c test should be standard protocal if diagnosing type 2 diabetes, note as much with type one for diagnosis, but used afterwards for both, to check for compliance, ideally every 3 months. And think you should make shure you get one if you being tested, as it could indicate if its been going on a while, this may contriibute to the tingles.

Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral or autonomic is a result of chronic poorly controlled blood glucose which results in Abnormal and decreased sensation. Commonly starts in feet such as Numbness and tingling.

It is the result of nerve ischemia from microvascular disease, direct effects of hyperglycemia on neurons, and intracellular metabolic changes that impair nerve function,so basically kille off the nerves as a result of high blood glucoes.

I think with the metres, it varies from place to place, they don't all work the same, I'm doing an internship in a hospital for dietetics so work one on one with diabetes on nearly a daily basis, and we only use the ones that lachesis mentioned in the begining.But there is no real limit to how high it goes, just what it should be. Blood glucose levels to the near-normal range (eg, preprandial blood glucose levels of 90-127 mg/dL, HbA1c levels of <7%, oral glucose test 140-199) and with the aim to maintain them in this range throughout the patient's life.

Just in case, prediabetes is also often called insulin resistance, they might use that term too.

Diagnosis of diabetes, includes a blood glucose of 11.1mmol/L, symptoms, fasting blood glucose of >7 % and oral glucose tests >7

Signs and symptoms include:

polyuria(lots of urination)

polydipsia(drinking more)

Polyphagia(eating more)

unexplained weight loss

sweating

blurred vission

fatigue

slow healing of sores

orthostatic hypotension (dizzy when getting up)

dehydration

You should also think how long you been taking zyprexa cause it won't happen over night, it will take a while to progress to diabetes.

Risk factors for type 2 DM include age > 30; obesity; decreased activity; family history of Diabetes; history of poor glucose control;history of hypertension or overweight/obesity; polycystic ovary syndrome; and black, Hispanic, or American Indian ethnicity.

Type 2 Diabetes usually can be prevented with lifestyle modification. Weight loss of as little as 7% of current body weight, combined with moderate-intensity physical activity (eg, walking 30 min/day three times a week), may reduce the incidence of Diabetes by > 50% of poeple who fall into the high risk group.

On the other hand increased blood glucose can also be caused be other factors in your body, physical stress to the body...... ok I think I've nattered too much, but its quite interresting to me!

I would recommend going to check it out, nothing to get to stressed out about, and even if you do have it can be controlled!!

A diabetic diet is actually how we should all eat, except its just more important for somebody with diabetes.

And we don't even know if you got it! ;)

All the best and take care.

Love Ash

My lack of sensation in my toes and fingers is probably due to something else and this is compounding it. I'd like to control this with diet which is what I would be told to do by the doctor anyways. I know lots regarding diabetes and I don't want to wait till there are levels of 130 to 150 to get a diagnosis. I have been on Risperdal or Seroquel for four years now. I don't know if Effexor has the same relationship cause I've been on it a lot longer. So the doctor does a fasting blood sugar and it will probably normal again. Maybe not. I'll find out soon enough. This weight gain around the middle is what has to go. I was a skinny gal before antipsychotics. I weigh less now than I did on Risperdal.

Archived