CrazyBoards.org

could i be having seizures in my sleep?

Hey guys,

First up, I've never had a seizure before, I've been on AD's (mirtazapine,60mg) for three months, Seroquel (200mg @ night) for four months.

The last few nights I've woken up after biting my tongue, so I not have a nice set of mouth ulcers (ouch). I caught myself dazed and confused sleep walking out in public just two nights ago and yesterday and today I've been extremely sore all over. The front of my neck hurts quite a lot and my shoulders, chest, abs, thighs and calves... It feels just like I've had a really hard workout, well most of it... I've never had a really sore front neck before.

So I'm chatting with a mate and he said maybe I've been having seizures at night, could this be possible given the symptoms I've been feeling? Any advice would be appreciated.

JT

my son has benign rolandic epilepsy, simple partial seizures, that usually only happen- early morning, during the night and when he first wakes up. talk to a doc!!!!

I saw my pdoc today, she didn't seem all too concerned although i'm not taking epilim as a mood stabiliser. Does your son feel sore muscles all over when he wakes up the next morning? To me it feels like I've been through a really good weights workout except for the most painful area - the front of my neck. It's somewhere you don't exercise but it feels like I've pulled some muscles.

I saw my pdoc today, she didn't seem all too concerned

Did she say what she did think it was? Whether or not that's what's going on, just having to put up with it kind of sucks.

I saw my pdoc today, she didn't seem all too concerned

Did she say what she did think it was? Whether or not that's what's going on, just having to put up with it kind of sucks.

Nup, she didn't seem too concerned... I'm on epilim/sodium valproate now which should stop siezures if I am having them. I slept fine last night but everythings still a bit sore.

• 2 weeks later...

A speculative suggestion off another board, from another person...

Bite marks towards the back of the tongue may be a sign of nocturnal seizures. Bite marks solely towards the front may be more caused by bruxism (anxiety-generated nightly teeth-grinding, my mother has the issue). (Of course, bite marks all over the tongue would, in this person's idea, mean seizures as well!)

Not sure where that person got that hypothesis from, but speak with your pdoc or neurologist about this.

<br />A speculative suggestion off another board, from another person...<br /><br />Bite marks towards the back of the tongue may be a sign of nocturnal seizures. Bite marks solely towards the front may be more caused by bruxism (anxiety-generated nightly teeth-grinding, my mother has the issue). (Of course, bite marks <i>all over</i> the tongue would, in this person's idea, mean seizures as well!)<br /><br />Not sure where that person got that hypothesis from, but speak with your pdoc or neurologist about this.
This has been ok for me lately.. last night I bit the back of my tongue, I woke up tasting blood... Today I have a mouth ulcer... I'm on Seroquel, Mirtazapine, and Epilim at the moment and I know this wasnt' happening before I was on these crazy pills... I've only just stated taking Epilim but it feels really good, so does Seroquel, I knew that from the first day I took it... I could prolly ditch the mirtazapine.

This has been ok for me lately.. last night I bit the back of my tongue, I woke up tasting blood... Today I have a mouth ulcer... I'm on Seroquel, Mirtazapine, and Epilim at the moment and I know this wasnt' happening before I was on these crazy pills... I've only just stated taking Epilim but it feels really good, so does Seroquel, I knew that from the first day I took it... I could prolly ditch the mirtazapine.

I know how those mouth ulcers taste (literally). I thought that my tongue had a bacterial or fungal infection until I realized that the sores were a perfect cast of my molars! I hope the Epilim does something useful, but please let your pdoc and/or neurologist know about this tongue-biting thing, since it could be a sign of epilepsy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been taken off the Epilim because of a bad liver function test... Which sucks a bit because it was working great!

I've been seeing my normal GP about the seizures, he's really cool... old school, knows quite a bit about a lot of things. He ran a whole load of tests to see if there was something that could be causing the seizures and he hasn't found anything... I'm still waiting for the results of a CT brain scan I had recently.

I had another seizure last Saturday, I was in the shower. At first I could feel a few twitches in my arm/shoulder then I don't really remember much after that moment until I found myself on the ground in the bath (shower sits over the bath).

My head hurt, my back hurt, and again the day after I woke up with almost every single muscle in my body aching like I'd had a really strenuous workout. I had bruises on my elbows, knees, two bumps on my head.

For the past week I've barely been able to walk as on several of the muscles around my spine have now got lesions from ripping which my GP tells me is a strong sign that I have been having seizures.

My GP now tells me that I could possibly have a type of epilepsy which can just happen and I don't have to have had it since I was a kid.

Archived