CrazyBoards.org

this is kinda off-topic... weight loss...

So umm... I'm inbetween diagnosis, prolly BP-2, but anyway this is applicable to anyone.

I take several meds, and some of them make me hungry, some of them make me not understand my stomach is full... These two things combined means you get fat!

So how can we deal with this? Does anyone have strategies... It's taken me a few months but I now know when my Seroquel is making me eat and when I actually want to eat.

Since I've added meds, they all adjust the way I see hunger and the way I carry fluid and gain weight.

It's actually really depressing for this to happen, do any cb'ers have a recommended strategy on dealing with this?

Off-topic? This is extremely ON-topic. Trust me, this is a common problem for a good deal of us. Yes, I have a love/hate relationship with seroquel. While I once was able to do the Atkins diet, and stay slim, I now can no longer do because of such harsh cravings for carbs. And it's not only the cravings to eat, it's that I believe it really screws up the metabolism.

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions to give, as I'm struggling with the same thing. I've been working out, haven't really lost anything, but feel a little better for doing so. Some days are impossible, tho. Just wanted to let you know that yes, it's a big issue, and there will probably (hopefully) be other replies that contain advice.

When I was on seroquel I gained a lot of weight in a minimal weight of time. I don't remember how much I was eating, but I was sleeping A LOT and wasn't exercising AT ALL and wasn't doing anything remotely physical. Do you get to do anything physical during the day? Are you able to?

I tried changing my diet to be more healthy. Gone were my M&Ms all through out the day. I ate veggies for snacks. I avoided anything with sugar, caffine and high fat conent. I lost two pounds this way. I was so pissed off! This had always worked for me in the past.

I was finally able to loose more weight with exercise. It wasn't a lot. It was slow going but I was seeing mroe results. I even was able to buy some clothes in a smaller size. I was actually lucky I got pregnant because then it was discovered I didn't need the Seroquel anymore. :)

I walked a mile about 5 days a week. To keep things interesting I'd talk on the phone while walking. I also pushed my daughter in the jogging stroller. Sometimes I'd run for a little bit. Once it got hot, I'd do a workout video inside my house and alternate with walking on the other days. Even if I didn't feel like exercising, I'd put in the video, stand and more just my arms. ;) Then I'd feel like I was still being productive.

I think the most I was able to do when on Sodium Valproate and Risperidone was keep my weight stable and not gain anything. Took me a while to figure out how to do this and by that time I'd already gained quite a lot.

Basically what I found helped: eat very regularly and don't have late meals. This way you don't get ravenously hungry and eat a huge meal of junk food thats loaded with carbs. I snacked on fruit and nuts (small amounts) and vege sticks up to twice a day, kept me from getting cravings. Excercise even a few minutes a day (pick the long way to walk home etc) helped also.

I'm losing weight right now due to being on Lamictal. Yay. My sympathies though.

One word: Topamax. Best fix for my BP ever, and balances my cravings (most of the time).

proceed with caution. i lost weight on topa, but it made me sick as a dog, and did nothing for my bp. it's one of those meds that either it works for you or it doesn't - if it works, it's great, if it doesn't, it's a nightmare.

(edited for grammar stupidity ;) )

Boy, do I know where you're coming from. I've been on Seroquel since I was diagnosed, and got up to about 300lbs on my 5'3 frame. Not good. Diabetes, Hypertension, yadda, yadda. I've tried LOTS of other things, but keep coming back to Seroquel as the only thing that really works for my mania.

I needed to lose a lot of weight, and fast, to get my co-morbids under control. I had a RNY gastric bypass last June. If you're thinking it, it is in no way, shape, or form, the easy way out. It's a whole new way of eating, and its a major learning curve. I have lost 112 pounds. I don't have the brutal carb cravings anymore, and I follow the "rules" (protein first, take your supplements, exercise) religiously.

It was my miracle, and all my co-morbids are gone. I never see this option mentioned, so I wanted to share.

Hubby went low carb when I went low carb...mainly due to me doing most of the cooking. He really liked the food so really didn't care if it was low carb or not. He has lost 20 lbs (and he takes seroquel and lamictal). I have lost 40.

While Atkins is the most well known low carb plan, the induction phase can be pretty harsh on the system and I really don't think it is necessary. I would recommend Protein Power by Mike & Mary Eades (they are cardiologists) or Natural Health & Weight Loss by Barry Groves (a nutritionist from the UK. He and his wife have been low carbing for almost 40 years).

I eat strict vegetarian-style 80% of the time and have stopped driving my car to locations that are less than 10 miles away now that the weather is nice. Yeah, I'm on Lamictal, but I don't find it activating at all.

Guest Guest

Over the last year and half i have lost 100 pounds. That was going great until i started abilify. Its supposed to be weight neutral but not for me...i've gained 20 pounds back in 2 1/2 months. Its very depressing. I just started adderall for my add and it does help me some. I wish topamax worked for me w/ my bipolar...that was the best med for weight loss...

When I was on seroquel I gained a lot of weight in a minimal weight of time. I don't remember how much I was eating, but I was sleeping A LOT and wasn't exercising AT ALL and wasn't doing anything remotely physical. Do you get to do anything physical during the day? Are you able to?

Welcome to my life... lol

I try to go out for a walk everyday but I've been sick since I started taking Epilim.

I stopped eating sugar & white flour (white bread & white pasta). I'm not a purist. I know there is sugar in my salad dressing and lowfat yogurt, but it doesn't seem to trigger any cravings. After reading Taking Control of Bipolar Disorder, I stopped the sugar and white flour. It is a healthy diet suggestion in the book to eliminate up & down blood sugar levels which contribute to mood swings. I was desperate to control what I could at the time to get out of my depression and get back to work.

It helped normalize my appetite and stopped my binge eating (Plus a little OA support in there). I've lost 61 lbs since Sept 07. I still have a good amount more to go, but I'm working on it.

Another suggestion in the book to help keep your mood stable is good sleep habits. There is new research out that shows sleep deprivation increases a person's appetite and can contribute to the development of obesity and diabetes. So I have a good sleep schedule now, too.

I still seem to put all my energy into getting to and doing my job. Then I come home beat. So I'm not exercising. I know how important that is and that I could feel even better if I did that. I'll work on it.

Oreo

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again - portion control. I've lost 95 pounds with portion control. I also cut out everything with high fructose corn syrup when I found out that it could be contributing to my migraines (whatdoyaknow? my migraines decreased dramatically) so that helped. But, I can eat what I like as long as it's a portion size - though lately I've cut way back on the refined flour and sugar (as mentioned before) because of my arthritis.

I plateaued for a long time, but I'm losing again now that I'm exercising. I can't believe that these kids drive their cars the 2 miles to the campus. Jeez. I walk it every day, rain or shine. It's also good for my joints.

Oh, in case my sig changes - I'm on Seroquel and Topamax. I started the Topamax first, but didn't lose much weight when I started - only after I started dieting. But I did gain weight right after the Seroquel, until I found out why I was eating everything in sight and stopped doing that. I've been on both (off and on with the Seroquel) since the end of 2004. I've taken a couple of ADs off and on over the years, but the Seroquel and Topamax have been constant.

I gained 60 pounds on Zyprexa almost 4 years ago and I've been yo-yo-ing within the same 20 pound range since then. I feel like ShadowCat - on my meds, the most I can hope for is to maintain. I go to Curves and I'm doing Weight Watchers, and it's like I can't do anything more than lose a pound or two. It took me a year to lose 10 pounds. ;)

So yeah, I don't have any tips. haha.

I gained 80 lbs on antidepressants, starting with my Lexapro/Abilify combo, then continued with Cymbalta. Im now off all antidepressants, and on Geodon, Trileptal, and Klonopin. I've started doing South Beach and have been losing steadily the last 5 weeks I've been on it. I had been losing before with just eating what I want, but with portion control, but my portions were becoming out of control. So, decided I needed to eat healthier and lose weight at the same time.

Archived