CrazyBoards.org

Psychotic State here from New York. I didn't see a welcome subforum (aside from the "green" rules subforum) so I figured I'd drop a thread in here seeings how... well I belong in this subforum. I'm a 35 year old male that was diagnosed very late with Bipolar type 1. I found a really smart Psychiatrist about 7 years back who actually gave me a real diagnoses that could then be treated after being cared for by some less than ideal "Doctors" that had me diagnosed from everything but bipolar. It wasn't until I met this particular Doc that actually did a comprehensive assessment of my entire history... especially my childhood. Mania, insomnia, auditory/visual hallucinations during manic times. Fun childhood ;) Anyhoot, I'm doing well now and have been pretty stable now since late 2005 (minus a few minor episodes). I work as an R.N. in a state Psychiatric Center here in NY so I really dig my work. It can get stressful but it's appealing due to my circumstances, and I really can relate and have empathy for my clients I care for. Luckily I never ended up there. Up until I was diagnosed at 28 I spent a lot of times abusing and using to mask my symptoms. In particular opiates and alcohol. It caused me a lot of trouble more than once but I work on my addiction history daily through Narcotics Anonymous. It's been a life saver as far as that half of the dual diagnoses.

Well... just thought I'd drop a hello. So, Hello!

Hey there -

I've always found it interesting that those with mental issues work with those with mental issues. I agree that it makes one more empathetic and leads to more understanding about patients. I've heard that the best counselors and therapists are those with problems themselves. The whole "takes one to know one" thing.

Welcome!

Guest Guest_Psychotic State_*

Hey there -

I've always found it interesting that those with mental issues work with those with mental issues. I agree that it makes one more empathetic and leads to more understanding about patients. I've heard that the best counselors and therapists are those with problems themselves. The whole "takes one to know one" thing.

Welcome!

Such is true. My PMD is a AA 12-stepper so he's great to deal with regarding substances... only issue is he has this attitude that I don't need much of the psych meds. He's never seen me high-manic or low-depressed. That's what my other Doc is for though.

;)

HI PS,

Glad to have you here and it is so good to know that you are doing well.

I can understand some about some differences between Psychiatry and some twelve step programs. Boy, do I have a story to tell about benzos and both of those programs!

But, this thread is about you and about how happy we are that you are here.

If you have any questions, PM the moderators.

Peace,

Sunshine Outside

Welcome

I can understand folks MI folks who work within the MI field, and its something I'm considering doing myself.

I'm not sure thats to do with empathy, but rather the fact that I think I'd generally do a much better job of it than most the ones I've encountered.

See you around the board

Archived