CrazyBoards.org

Ever feel like you want something to be wrong?

I recently had some lab work done to try to figure out why I continue to cycle and get so depressed. It came back and everthing was normal. Do you ever will they would find something when you do this? I do. It would make me feel like it was something could be fixed some how. Just wondering if I am the only person who thinks like this...

I think that's a pretty rational desire. When you have a specific problem to work out (hopefully, nothing too serious!), it's easier to chart out a course of action, and there's the feeling that if you just do A, B, and C (and perhaps also I, J,..., and P), you'll feel less bad.

i know how you feel. when i had chronic pain, for more than ten years, i prayed they'd find something, anything. it wasn't that i wanted something to be wrong, it was that i thought we had to identify the problem before it could be solved. ironically, i found an effective tx without getting a dx...finally saw a neurologist who tried lyrica, and it calmed the pain, which is still officially "idiopathic neuralgia of unknown origin."

i don't think it's unusual to feel this way when you've been suffering. especially in the case of mental illness, you hope maybe something else is causing it, because mi is so sneaky and tricky to treat. i'm sorry you're going through this. take care of yourself and hang in there.

Oh god yes. Whenever I'm in pain and go to the doctor and everything is "normal" I just go into either a flying rage or a slow steam - or completely the other way and a complete depression. I hate it, hate it, hate it when tests come back "normal" and I just know that something is wrong - after all I am in pain - and the tests being normal don't take that pain away. Of course, having tests come out normal just means that what the doctors expected to be wrong may not be what is wrong, and now it's time for a different plan of attack. However, some doctors will just give up completely and treat me as though nothing is wrong - just because their stupid tests say so. Like tests cannot show false readings. Idiots.

Of course, in answer to the original question... I didn't know that there were tests for bi polar. But that could be my ignorance showing.

Definitely from me. Here's an example:

I've been doing consistently well for almost two months now, "Fitter, happier, more productive" etc. etc. And today I had a therapist appointment and I needed something to complain about. So I opened up about my complete disinterest in sex. And opened up a whole new can of worms! She thinks it's because of my meds, wants to tell my pdoc, etc. etc. etc. And secretly I am happy because, hey, I have a new problem to fuss over.

;)

They are not test for bipolar but just about everything else: thyroid problems, blood sugar, cortisol levels, etc. I wish there was a blood test for bipolar maybe then they could have caught it before I went to the hospital for the first time.

Also I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks like this!

Archived