CrazyBoards.org

Sorry if this is a dupe, I couldn't find it elsewhere. I started on 25mg topamax a week and a half ago just to curb myt appetite and I started getting nauseous a few days back. I'm not positive it's the topamax, but in case it is, does it go away? Should I cut them in half for a bit (I have a call in to my doc btw) and see if that helps? Or does Topamax make you lose weight because you just don't want to eat anything?

I've been on 50mg of Topamax a day for seizures starting friday night/saturday (also 25mg of Lamictal). I was REALLY nauseaus for a bit there, but am not as much any more. When I am not, I eat just as much as normal. I honestly don't see how I could possibly lose any weight from this. I haven't had a seizure since though.

Topamax kind of sucks to take just to try to lose weight. It's very unreliable about causing that side effect (more people don't get it than do, actually), and it has enough others that are more common that are kind of crappy that you're more likely to just not feel good than you are to lose weight. The side effects do frequently get better over time, like with most meds, although that can include the loss of appetite part, which would defeat the point if that's all you're using it for. Basically, it's a pretty crappy diet/weight loss med, but if you're one of the lucky ones whose brain gets along with it, it's great for seizures and can be pretty decent for some other things for some people (e.g. it's mediocre as a mood stabilizer for most people, but it does work for some of them, especially for anger/rage stuff).

Well what the hell. I don't have seizures - not like I just needed to be on another med for poops and giggles. Stupid doc. I do have anger issues.... but I doubt I'm going to feel anything with such a small dose.

Thanks for the info!

i was really sick to my stomach the whole time i was on topamax (which admittedly wasn't very long), and i lost weight quickly as a result. not the way i'd want to lose weight, though. topa and my brain (and body) just didn't play well together at all, for me it was the Med from Hell.

bean

I can't remember who's blog I wrote this on, but yes, Topa made me nauseous at first and it does go away. It also makes a lot of foods taste funny - carbonated beverages tasted like ass for the first two months. I doubt you are on the med for poops (hehe) and giggles...it's not just an anti-seizure med and not just for anger issues either - it seems to be turning into a catch all sort of drug (or so it seems to me). It's original intended use was to treat migraine headaches but they are finding all sorts of new and interesting ways to use it. Splitting the dose never made a difference on the side effects...just seemed to spread them out over a longer period of time. Bonus: as you titrate up, (at least for me anyway), only one side effect got worse and that was the pins and needles sensation (I'm sure you're saying, "oh joy, can't wait"...lol).

It's original intended use was to treat migraine headaches but they are finding all sorts of new and interesting ways to use it.

False. Well, half right, but not quite. Its original intended use was as an anticonvulsant (i.e. to prevent seizures), but it currently is most commonly used to prevent migraines. It does get used for a wide range of other things, too, but it's not especially reliable for a lot of them (as in it does work for a significant minority of people for various things, but it frequently isn't (or shouldn't be) the first choice). Like I said, it does work as a mood stabilizer of sorts for some people, but not successfully as often as some of the other options. Likewise, it does help some people with various other stuff like drinking less, but certainly not all of them (or even most, as far as I've heard). It does many strange and wonderful things, but not necessarily the same ones to different people or the ones that people want it to. It can be picky about who its friends are, but if it likes you, it really likes you (and if it hates you, it lets you know).

Well, half right, but not quite. Its original intended use was as an anticonvulsant (i.e. to prevent seizures), but it currently is most commonly used to prevent migraines.

Cool - I did have that backwards (thought it was migraines then they figured out it worked for seizures). You're right about all of the other stuff - I'm one of the lucky ones that it's worked out for - woohoo! It is an interesting drug, nevertheless...

I found this website, for anyone who's interested in learning more about it - lots of good info here:

topamax info

I'm one of the lucky ones that it's worked out for - woohoo!

So am I...or so was I. It's the first thing I ever took that did more good than harm, and one of the few things I've ever taken that did anything good, period. I even got smarter while taking it, not stupider like a lot of people. Unfortunately, it seemed to crap out after about six months, and I had to go back to searching again. Eventually I found Keppra, which finally beat Topamax's good-to-bad ratio, and it's getting close to working for a longer period of time at this point, too, so it seems to be turning out ok in the end. Topamax is still the next best (for me) out of everything so far, though.

Archived