CrazyBoards.org

A friend of mine does this... now he's started drinking AND taking his meds. Makes it difficult to tell him not to because he's stubborn.

Wish I could be of more help.

Manny, I'm sorry you haven't gotten more responses to your question. I think many of us here have struggled with drinking, and then finally realized that it just doesn't mix with all the meds. A lot of people I know self-medicated for years with alcohol and after car accidents and divorces and being abandoned by friends and family----well, some people finally realize that you can't do both.

If you really and truly want your mental illness to get better, you can't drink heavily. That's the reality. I don't mean the occasional glass of beer----I assume that when you say "drinking," you're talking about drinking until you're drunk.

You might get more of a response on this topic if you go to the substance abuse forum.

olga

I have a problem with drinking and taking my meds. I have a drinking problem period. I've realized that drinking with my meds tends to lead me to black out, get into fights, do even dumber stuff, etc. It's been really hard. I totally empathize/sympathize with what you're going through =(

I spent YEARS struggling with the drinking/meds decision. I finally had to realize that I had a choice: I could quit drinking heavily, take my meds and feel better, OR I could keep skipping meds, drink with my buddies every night and trade temporary relief for the real stability that taking my meds regularly provides.

It's a hard decision, I won't pretend that it isn't--but taking your meds and managing your MI will ultimately provide you with more relief than the occassional night out.

One could say that I have been a social binge drinker. I have only drank excessively around other people. I used to do this because it was the only way that I felt I was able to talk. It wasn't just about getting over the social anxiety. It was because I found (and still find) difficulty in having meaningful interactions with others. Drinking dumbs me down quite a bit. It makes it easier to have meaningless conversations. During sober periods (which was most of the time), I would find that I did not enjoy all of my non-reciprocal friendships. I don't have the same interests as a lot of people I know, and I just can't seem to find anyone I have anything in common with. It was and is easier to deal with that when drinking.

I made the decision to stop binge drinking when I started on meds. I, like everyone else on this board, am not eligible to be on the organ donor registry. I'm trying to keep my organs in tip-top condition. I feel lonely without the bullshit social interactions I had as a binge drinker. But I was always lonely. It's just now very, very apparent.

I think you should ask yourself why you are intent on drinking. What about drinking is appealing? What makes it fun? That may help you with your decision.

I made the decision to stop binge drinking when I started on meds. I, like everyone else on this board, am not eligible to be on the organ donor registry. I'm trying to keep my organs in tip-top condition. I feel lonely without the bullshit social interactions I had as a binge drinker. But I was always lonely. It's just now very, very apparent.

HUH?

Table X-5. Donor Eligibility Requirements Based on American Academy of Neurology Death by Neurological Critera*

Donors Aged 70 or Younger, Excluding*:

Tuberculosis

Human immunodeficiency virus Infection with specified conditions

Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease

Herpetic septicemia

Rabies

Reactive hepatitis B surface antigen

Any retrovirus infection

Active malignant neoplasm except primary CNS tumors and skin cancers

Hodgkinbse sedisease, multiple myeloma, leukemia

Miscellaneous carcinomas

Aplastic anemia

Agranulocytosis

Fungal and viral meningitis

Viral encephalitis

Gangrene of bowel

Extreme immaturity

Positive serological or viral culture Findings for HIV

D'oh, I don't think I phrased my last post right. I meant to say I'm not eligible to be on the waiting list for an organ should I ever need an organ...

I'm a moron. ;)

One could say that I have been a social binge drinker. I have only drank excessively around other people. I used to do this because it was the only way that I felt I was able to talk. It wasn't just about getting over the social anxiety. It was because I found (and still find) difficulty in having meaningful interactions with others. Drinking dumbs me down quite a bit. It makes it easier to have meaningless conversations.

I feel lonely without the bullshit social interactions I had as a binge drinker. But I was always lonely. It's just now very, very apparent.

These words could have came out of my mouth. Last summer I went through a period of binge drinking every Friday night. I'd cope by waiting to take my Paxil until I sobered up. Then I felt depressed for days afterward and never understood why. Heh. Reality kicked in, that's why! I was lonely too!

Extreme immaturity

Oh well that excludes me then, I'm very immature ;)

ummm... well yeah I drink still, I'm trying not to. I think it makes some MI worse, well most probably.

but then I'm out of diazepam, I'm anxious, and I'm on my second bottle of wine today. Its 2.40pm.

so yeah I'm not going to be hypocritical and tell you not to drink, just that ... yes I know damn well its not a good thing to mix with meds. Its not good for you overall. But you already know that don't you, you're not stupid. I guess, like any of us, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and maybe if theres a better solution.

I know there probably is. I'm going to give up drinking. Just not today.

Thanks Everyone. I am still struggling, but when I take all my meds as I am supposed to they seem to work, and looking around that makes me lucky. I just need to get a handle on the alcohol.

Archived