CrazyBoards.org

SOS - is there another class of meds for OCD?

Hi,

I've tried four SSRIs (Lexapro, Celexa, Xolft and Paxil) and even at their minimum dosages they tear my tummy up really bad. (I have a history of scar tissue from abdominal surgeries which MD and I are accounting as a likely reason for this reaction.) I know that there's serotonin receptors in the stomach so I'm disinclined to try a fifth SSRI.

I've just come off the fourth and my endless conveyor belt of obsessive thought is fast returning. Especially after experiencing the peace and clarity of non-OCD, I can't live like this; it's torturous.

I have a great therapist who has been able to help with all my other anxiety disorders, I do the workbook, I do yoga daily, but OCD runs on both sides of my family and I know I need chemical help.

My MD will basically prescribe whatever I think worth trying (he and my therapist don't really like any of the psychiatrists on this little island.)

Is there any med besides an SSRI that might help OCD? I'm desperate.

Thank you in advance.

There are options in other classes. The effectiveness of the tricyclic Anafranil, if I remember correctly, was what first led to the implication of serotonin in OCD. However, I don't think you'll avoid stomach trouble with it. Effexor has a different side effect profile. Neurontin works for some. Sorry I can't give better advice at the moment. I'm relying on my poor memory. There are options in combinations involving MAOI's or AAP's or anxiolytics, too.

I got some relief from seroquel.

Anafranil was long seen as the gold standard for OCD, but TCAs typically have more side effects than SSRIs.

I've just gone on generic Celexa after taking the brand name stuff a few years ago. It's making me nauseous where the brand name stuff didn't.

Thank you, everyone. Doc and I will be looking into these ideas.

VE -- was Seroquel helpful without an SSRI? I just ask because I'm seeing all these references to it as an add-on.

Interesting about the Celexa because that's the one that made me least nauseous and it was generic so maybe the brand name would be worth a try, though scary, like any SSRI or TCA after what I've experienced, but we'll see.

Thanks again, everyone.

Thank you, Rabbit.

I really appreciate all of your ideas. I'm sure I can confuse my doc aplenty now. But that can't possibly be as bad as this fourth serotonin withdrawal.

Again, I appreciate you all, you give me hope, and I really need that now. Aloha.

Thank you, everyone. Doc and I will be looking into these ideas.

VE -- was Seroquel helpful without an SSRI? I just ask because I'm seeing all these references to it as an add-on.

Thanks again, everyone.

I was taking it along with Cymbalta, IIRC.

• 2 months later...

Archived