CrazyBoards.org

I basicly have no certain diagnosis what so ever and schizophrenia is one diagnosis that has been considered in my case.

so here is the hallucination story.

once, i saw a man all in black. looked quite normal and real to me. and i totally didnt care he was there, nor i was afraid or anything. but the next moment he wasnt there anymore. so i went oops, i hallooed. but one moment later i again went what the hell and didn't realy cared anymore and forgot about it.

the other time was when i heard my cellphone ringing totally loudly, and i looked in my pocket and it wasnt there. i have made my ringtone myself so its quite unlikely that it was someone elses phone. this happend again after like 6 months later.

another one is, i rolled a cigarette (yes. some people still do it :)) and BEFORE i lit my cigarette, smoke started to rise from it. spooky.... ;)

another time, i was smoking myself and i saw a man coming and smoking too. it was at night and i could saw his cigarette glowing. but after 100 milliseconds, he had both his hands in his pocket and there was no cigarette to be seen.

what do you think? does it mean something? (beside me being obsessed with my cell phone and smoking too much?)

how often do you have to hallucinate so it means something?

btw. almost every time i "hallucinated", i was ON antipsychotics for what so ever reason (everytime but the dude in black). I like antipsychotics for some wierd reason. i cant put my finger on it though.

cheers.

polar bear.

A number of things can cause one to hallucinate other than psychosis. For example, if one is sleep deprived, hallucinating is pretty common. When I was in grad school, my officemate and I used to sleep far too little. When we working late at night in the office, we'd check our state of sleep deprivation against each other, "Was that security going down the hall?" "Naw, you were seeing things." "Skin crawling yet?" "Naw, expect that in a couple hours." etc. It's also common to hallucinate when one is just waking up or just falling asleep.

Given that you've hallucinated 5 times, that they're discrete instances, and that they don't seem to have upset you much when they took place, I wouldn't worry yet. If you continue to hallucinate, it may be significant.

Sophia

A number of things can cause one to hallucinate other than psychosis. For example, if one is sleep deprived, hallucinating is pretty common. When I was in grad school, my officemate and I used to sleep far too little. When we working late at night in the office, we'd check our state of sleep deprivation against each other, "Was that security going down the hall?" "Naw, you were seeing things." "Skin crawling yet?" "Naw, expect that in a couple hours." etc. It's also common to hallucinate when one is just waking up or just falling asleep..

Thank you for your answer.

the thing is, i was wide awake and those happened in the middle of the day.... outdoors most of the time. and i actually do sleep well and pretty much more than enough. btw, i know you can hallucinate while falling asleep. I do sometimes to but there is some crazy medical name for that "hypnagogic halluc." or so and acutally everyone has this kind of hallucinations.

what alarmed me pretty much was these stuff happening on the street on bright sunny days.

the only thing that i can say that it could have caused the hallucination was, that once i got really bad news really suddenly (i knew my grandpa had commit suicide. but i totally didnt want to know HOW. and some idiot told me exactly that without any warning what so ever.)

also they happend when i'm feeling really ehm... like.... everything has it's volume turned down. my mind and sounds and anything is damped.

EDIT:

Make 6 out of five. i again heard a telephone ringing that isn't there

Y'know ... I'd try to relax about it for now, not unless you see things that really bother you, and its happening all the time.

Normal folks hallucinate sometimes, for example quite a number of people will hear their name called when they are about to fall asleep. As has been mentioned sleep deprivation will cause pseudo-hallucinations too.

Sometimes stress can do it. Like for example I was in a stressful job answering incoming calls in a call centre for a short time. The phone made a tone when there was an incoming call. I found I'd be at home, and I'd hear the tone - just because I was listening for it, and I'd hear it when it wasn't there, in another noise. Not strictly speaking a hallucination. Probably like you are hearing your phone go off, I've heard mine go off when it hasn't before. I could understand that a sudden shock might also cause this due to a stress reaction. Even worrying about the possibility of hallucinating may cause sufficient stress if you're worried about it that much, and that will just be a self fulfilling prophecy.

But I understand your concern, such things can be alarming, especially if one is concerned about ones state of mental health. Things we can't explain are always scary.

I guess the crux of it is, if you experience something that you think may be hallucinatory and it worries you talk to your pdoc/therapist about it and I'm sure they'll be able to judge whether its a problem, and even if it isn't, doing that will set your mind at ease.

Sure, I hear my phone go off all of the time, or feel it vibrate - whatever. I have a pretty distinctive ring on my cell phone, and I never expect phone calls because I don't give out my number to many people, so imagine my surprise when I hear my phone ring - and it didn't.

I also see thing that aren't there, in broad daylight and at night - things like you're describing, only different. For example, I once saw a waitress bring a cup of coffee to a neighboring table. I distinctly remember her setting it down in front of the person and both of them smiling, but when I looked over, there was no coffee in sight. She brought it over a couple of minutes later with their meal. Weird. I also have seen smoke rise from unlit cigarettes, and little things like that. And I distinctly remember almost bumping into a man in my living room just after I turned the lights out. Of course he wasn't there - he wasn't there before I turned the lights out, and he wasn't there after I turned the lights out. But I saw the outline of his head and shoulders in front of me as I made my way through the living room. When I put my hands up to fend him off, they went right through him. Freaked me out. I've also seen things and heard things just before I go to sleep But I dismiss most of them as trick of my imagination. There's too much going on in the world for my brain to take everything in accurately, so sometimes there's a misread. That's my take on it anyway.

Those, of course, are the times when I'm not manic. When I am manic - well, that a whole nother kettle of fish, isn't it?

Archived