CrazyBoards.org

difference between BP2 AND bpd

Guest Guest_katy_*

i disagree with things that the site leadinglady linked to says.

however, they are similar.

but, bipolar does not cause an unstable sense of self or fear of abandonment.

and borderline mood swings are usually reactive to the situation, whereas bipolar are chemical/stress induced.

I was always told that someone can live with BP-II without any serious problems in life... they can function as if nothing is wrong even though they may feel like crap. BP-I you're suppose to have problems that the disease will impose in your life. Like everything in Psychiatry though there's exceptions to all the rules and diagnoses.

I was always told that someone can live with BP-II without any serious problems in life... they can function as if nothing is wrong even though they may feel like crap. BP-I you're suppose to have problems that the disease will impose in your life. Like everything in Psychiatry though there's exceptions to all the rules and diagnoses.

um, BP-II isn't really "bipolar light" ... yes hypomanias are not as extreme as manias but it's not correct to characterize it as something that doesn't impeed your life.

that's a different topic though, this thread is about borderline vs. bipolar.

just as a refrence (not that i actually expect it to clear anything up since the DSM doesn't make all that much sense when you really think about it), here are the DSM IV criteria for BP I, BP II and BPD

Borderline Personality Disorder DSM IV

Bipolar I Disorder DSM IV

Bipolar II Disorder DSM IV

Archived