CrazyBoards.org

Hardcore Haxors and Geeks

Linux is win

Sort of. I just convinced my PC to triple boot XP, the latest Ubuntu (just to make VE cry), and OS X, and despite OS X being officially unsupported on my hardware and Ubuntu officially supporting everything I have, I've had the most issues getting hardware to work with Linux. When it's actually working, I rather like it, though. Windows tends to piss me off something fierce if I try to do anything non-trivial with it, so I'm happy to have alternatives. It took me several tries and a bunch of reading to even get the video card to send a signal my monitor would acknowledge under Linux, though, and it's not like I have anything obscure or sketchy. At least I can see stuff on the screen now, but not at more than 60Hz, and I was having enough more fun screwing around with OS X that I didn't feel like getting un-lazy yet and reminding it that my monitor actually can use non-headache-inducing refresh rates. Amusingly, none of the three realized that my monitor will happily run in 1600x1200. All three are convinced it can only do 1280x1024 at the most, despite it being a fairly nice 20" Sony CRT. Clearly Nvidia "is fail", as the kids say. Heh.

Amusingly, none of the three realized that my monitor will happily run in 1600x1200. All three are convinced it can only do 1280x1024 at the most, despite it being a fairly nice 20" Sony CRT. Clearly Nvidia "is fail", as the kids say. Heh.

weird o.o

It's funny, I've only had one hardware problem with Ubuntu: it refuses to mount hdb1, saying that it is already mounted or busy, even though it's not (this is using a 5-6 year old, cheap as dirt [read: free, formerly state-of-the-art], computer and it only happened after an upgrade where everything went profoundly pear-shaped [hdb1 was mounted while I was upgrading but that shouldn't have been a problem...I think])

Linux is win

Sort of. I just convinced my PC to triple boot XP, the latest Ubuntu (just to make VE cry), and OS X, and despite OS X being officially unsupported on my hardware and Ubuntu officially supporting everything I have, I've had the most issues getting hardware to work with Linux. When it's actually working, I rather like it, though. Windows tends to piss me off something fierce if I try to do anything non-trivial with it, so I'm happy to have alternatives. It took me several tries and a bunch of reading to even get the video card to send a signal my monitor would acknowledge under Linux, though, and it's not like I have anything obscure or sketchy. At least I can see stuff on the screen now, but not at more than 60Hz, and I was having enough more fun screwing around with OS X that I didn't feel like getting un-lazy yet and reminding it that my monitor actually can use non-headache-inducing refresh rates. Amusingly, none of the three realized that my monitor will happily run in 1600x1200. All three are convinced it can only do 1280x1024 at the most, despite it being a fairly nice 20" Sony CRT. Clearly Nvidia "is fail", as the kids say. Heh.

Which driver are you using?

The recent trend in X has been to do away with xorg.conf, but it's not really ready for primetime, IMHO.

Which driver are you using?

The "real", closed Nvidia one. My video card is too new (8600 GT) for most of its features to be supported by anything else. Also on account of its newness, it also feels like a waste not to try to get said features working, even if just for the sake of all the shinies in Compiz. Heh. I just haven't taken the time yet to figure out what needs changing in which place I'm not used to. I took a nap instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take Debian (any branch) over Ubuntu anyday.........Debian and Slack all the way.........

Steep learning curves aren't always a bad thing....Funny you mentioned Sidux, which is what I'm writing on at the moment on the lappy.

Never saw as much of a mess on an OS though as I have with 'Vista' ........nor do I recall ever being as limited as on XP or any other version of MS.

cheers

Ubuntu I tell you, Ubuntu!

Yep- I like it too, Tom.

Since I'm not a real geek- more of a wannabe- and have ADHD, and probable, though not officially diagnosed learning disabilities (discalculia, dyslexia, and lots of trouble with working memory), I never could figure out how to use any of the Linux distributions until Ubuntu came out. I installed it in windows Vista, (What the hell was I thinking getting Vista?) and also in XP on an older laptop. The only issues I've had was not being able to get wifi on the laptop to connect, and not being able to configure duel monitors correctly on the Vista box. (Couldn't get the resolution to be the same on each monitor, and in the process of trying, got Ubuntu so messed up that I had to reinstal it.) I took it off the laptop because of the wifi issue. Not having two monitors isn't too much of a big deal, except that it helps me to have help files open on one monitor, and whatever application I'm trying to figure out on the other due to my memory issues.

By many accounts the most recent Ubuntu release is a trainwreck.

Not quite a train wreck in my experience so far, but all I have to compare it to is various flavors of Windows. If nothing else, the price is right!

Sorry Dr. Faustus, ;) didn't mean to hijack your thread, but if anyone has any idea how to get two monitors to work in Ubuntu I would love to hear about it.

Oh, and also, Dr. Faustus, I did look up Slackware 12.1, but the, um, "learning curve" is way over my head.

if computers had emerged while my wits were malleable i would be geeking along witchyiz.

i am counted among the hoards that treat them like appliances.

learning curves DO steepen as the years spool by.

life is good!

oh wow. linusians. grooovy.

i've never used or tried installing slackware. i always regarded it as over my head and too technical.

i used ubuntu for a couple of years and loved it. but i got bored, as you do, and put archlinux on my new laptop. it's a nice, small footprint type installation.

not to hijack, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting linux training? (other than just getting busy with my own command line that is - which is i suspect the best way anyway). but hey, i gotta ask.

cheers,

grousemouse.

Ubuntu I tell you, Ubuntu!

The only issues I've had was not being able to get wifi on the laptop to connect, and not being able to configure duel monitors correctly on the Vista box.

Any idea what chipset your wireless card uses? Several have drivers in the ubuntu repositories. At least in debian they were split out from the kernel and placed in unfree (the equivalent to ubuntu's multiverse) due to licensing problems. In many other cases you can get wireless working with ndiswrapper which actualy lets you use windows drives in linux.

Search the Ubuntu forums. They are 50% clueless idiots who should go back to windows and 50% really good.

Also try this forum:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/

not to hijack, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting linux training? (other than just getting busy with my own command line that is - which is i suspect the best way anyway). but hey, i gotta ask.

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

The "running linux" O'Reily book is really good.

Most classes at tech schools are along the lines of "how to deal with the linux box in your windows network."

Novel and Redhat have certification programs and study materials are available for those.

You might want to take a look at this:

http://safari.oreilly.com/

Archived