CrazyBoards.org

Practical tips for dealing with depression everyday....

Whose got any?

I'm already on meds and can't afford therapy so I'm looking for practical things I can do to lift mysellf out of this current fugue.

I'm finding it difficult to even get out of bed(I've been there for the past two days)I know I need to do something but what?

All suggestions welcome ;)

SW

Awake every day at the same time. Don't care if it's 2 am or 2 pm. Consistency.

Schedule and keep two "appointments" for pleasantish things involving other people per week. (Sitting and watching TV doesn't count.) Keep these like medical appointments.

I was gonna suggest bed rest but......that wouldn't work out would it?

Hmn. Getting sunshine everyday? Even if its before you sleep after being up all night? Very theraputic. Eat well and/or better? Check out dietary guidelines to reduce DP.

Don't drink?

Lemme see, what else? Actually I've read online that staying up all night online isn't really healthy at all.....the stimulation , especially of a CRT screen is just not good. Like TV, its hard to disengage........try reading more if you spend too much time surfing......cuddle up with a good book. Actually....don't just cuddle it.....read it. You don't wanna be accused of treating objects like women.

Can't think of anything else......but my first pdoc said that getting sun was more important than he could expresss..

Give it a try.....lemme know how it goes. I may try it too then.

peace

I think setting yourself little baby-step goals are a good thing----getting out of bed is great---then maybe set a goal of taking a shower?

I agree with making appointments that take you out of the house. Sometimes that's the only thing that gets me out the door.

In the deepest pit of depression, having animals was a help because I had to get up to feed and water them all.

And having a dog helps because he likes to go for walks and stares at me reproachfully if we don't take one every day.

If you can take vitamins with your meds, it's important to get all the minerals and stuff. Eating well is hard even when you're not depressed, so maybe try to keep stuff around that's easy to eat? Yoghurt, bananas, grapes, cheese---foods that you can just grab and eat without having to prepare them.

And hang out at CrazyBoards 'cause we're here to help.

olga

Erm, rita....if you're trying to binge and purge? you actually have to swallow the pepsi.....otherwise theres no 'binge' part......helllloooo........... ;)

hehhe better watch where you fling those kinda jokes.... i actually do have an eating disorder!

however, your joke was still funny so i won't get the nagging stick out just yet :)

- rita

I think setting yourself little baby-step goals are a good thing----getting out of bed is great---then maybe set a goal of taking a shower?

I agree with making appointments that take you out of the house. Sometimes that's the only thing that gets me out the door.

In the deepest pit of depression, having animals was a help because I had to get up to feed and water them all.

And having a dog helps because he likes to go for walks and stares at me reproachfully if we don't take one every day.

If you can take vitamins with your meds, it's important to get all the minerals and stuff. Eating well is hard even when you're not depressed, so maybe try to keep stuff around that's easy to eat? Yoghurt, bananas, grapes, cheese---foods that you can just grab and eat without having to prepare them.

And hang out at CrazyBoards 'cause we're here to help.

olga

Snow White, i think olga's got a great list there, as well as all the other suggestions in this thread.

baby steps are so important. i find that one really hard, as i want results NOW and i find it hard to break it down into little mangeable activities that push me towards feeling better.

the getting out of the house thing is also probably the biggest, and hardest, for me. but it's the one that works most reliably. if i don't totally turn tail and run back home once i'm out, i WILL actually start thinking of something other than how much i hate myself and the rest of the world. having committed to something ahead of time helps sometimes... i know i'll let someone else down if i don't show up or whatever.

forgiving myself for being fucked up also ranks high on the non-medicinal solutions list for me. if i can find a way to stop beating myself up over being depressed in the first place, i'm not so depressed.... but then the depression says "flog thyself", so yeah that's a tough one but if you can manage it, it helps a LOT. coming here is the best way i've found to forgive myself for being ill (as if one should have to forgive something one can't help, but anyway...). i come here and see all these other great people who feel as shitty as i do, or worse, and i totally forgive them - so it makes it easier to give myself a break.

good for you for seeking ways you can be active in your own recovery, aside from the meds. honestly i hate having to do all this crap and i would really rather the meds just work and let me be me. but all this other stuff really does make the difference between really bleh and sorta bleh (it's quite a precise scale, innit?).

i hope you feel better very soon. keep coming back!

- rita

thanks rita, feel free to mock my BP or whatever ails me at the moment......no offense of course intended. Personally I'm pretty hard to offend if things are said in humor. And try to keep as much humor in my own dx as possible.

cheers

;)

BTW, excellent point rita about not flogging ourselves cause we're ill. I have to be constantly reminded of that on forums whenever I have an episode or something . Its a major path to healing when you actually BELIEVE it too!

cheers

forgiving myself for being fucked up also ranks high on the non-medicinal solutions list for me. if i can find a way to stop beating myself up over being depressed in the first place, i'm not so depressed.... but then the depression says "flog thyself", so yeah that's a tough one but if you can manage it, it helps a LOT.

yes yes yes.

what rita said.

Thank you everyone, all your suggestions are much appreciated.

The Prozac has fixed(?)my anxiety and now I've just got the depression to deal with, which seems more intense now I don't have the anxiety to disguise it.

Grrrr, what ya gonna do eh? ;)

SW

forgiving myself for being fucked up also ranks high on the non-medicinal solutions list for me. if i can find a way to stop beating myself up over being depressed in the first place, i'm not so depressed.... but then the depression says "flog thyself", so yeah that's a tough one but if you can manage it, it helps a LOT. coming here is the best way i've found to forgive myself for being ill (as if one should have to forgive something one can't help, but anyway...). i come here and see all these other great people who feel as shitty as i do, or worse, and i totally forgive them - so it makes it easier to give myself a break.

Amen to this. Be your own best friend...treat yourself like you would treat a friend who was suffering with DP. ;)

Hi All,

I've been getting up at a regular time, getting some sunshine and bought in loads of tinned fruit and veges so I can eat healthy without hardly any effort of preparing and cooking complex meals.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. ;)

SW

Guest Guest_yruloud_*

One thing that has helped me a lot : When I'm really down low, my husband reminds me 'it's only the chemicals talking'. Meaning that my brain is chemically making me bummed, that my life is exactly the same as it was before I was bummed, and that I will eventually have a better day. It helps me not to dwell on the old tapes in my head so much. Every time I get low, I seem to forget that the depression is not forever. Remembering that it will go away again eventually helps a lot.

One thing that has helped me a lot : When I'm really down low, my husband reminds me 'it's only the chemicals talking'. Meaning that my brain is chemically making me bummed, that my life is exactly the same as it was before I was bummed, and that I will eventually have a better day. It helps me not to dwell on the old tapes in my head so much. Every time I get low, I seem to forget that the depression is not forever. Remembering that it will go away again eventually helps a lot.

this is SO important and SO hard depending on how far you're down, i think.

my mother has a note in big letters on her fridge that says "this too shall pass". now, while mom uses it to deny any and every negative emotion, i find it a very useful reminder that it is not this bad all the time (i just forget).

- rita

Guest Guest_yruloud_*

The other thing I do is remind myself to 'live in the moment'. I am not responsible for anything other than this moment. Getting thru hard times is so much easier if you deal with it moment by moment. It's not so overwhelming that way. ;)

Many people take themselves too seriously. I try to keep a light hearted attitude about every situation I come across. I also don't let any outside source stress me or worry me. There's no need to get agitated over things that you cannot control.

Archived