CrazyBoards.org

The last couple months, it seems like it's getting harder for me to make simple conversation with my family or anybody for that matter. My mind is just totally blank. I'm only on 1mg of Risperdal now but I was taking 2mg for the last 2 years. My birthday was a couple weeks ago and I couldn't think of anything to say.. I said less than anybody else. It just seems that whenever somebody starts a conversation with me, all I can think of to say back is uh-yea or wow, etc.. I just have to pretend, so they won't think I'm being rude and ignoring them. Anybody else experience this?

Michael

Dx - socialphobia, paranoia

Rx - Risperdal 1mg, Celexa 40mg

I don't *remember* having that side effect with Risperdal, however it's been over three years since I've taken it, and if I do remember correctly, I wasn't much of a social butterfly at that time.

I do remember that it did make me edgy and took away my sex drive.

Sorry I'm not much help...

since starting risperdal, i've found i have the same problem. usually, i try to make sure i'm with more than one person, so they can talk to each other, and i can just sit there and at least feel like my lack of input isn't detected. People still notice sometimes though ;)

No real suggestions, mostly just empathy:)

The last couple months, it seems like it's getting harder for me to make simple conversation with my family or anybody for that matter. My mind is just totally blank. I'm only on 1mg of Risperdal now but I was taking 2mg for the last 2 years. My birthday was a couple weeks ago and I couldn't think of anything to say.. I said less than anybody else. It just seems that whenever somebody starts a conversation with me, all I can think of to say back is uh-yea or wow, etc.. I just have to pretend, so they won't think I'm being rude and ignoring them. Anybody else experience this?

Michael

Dx - socialphobia, paranoia

Rx - Risperdal 1mg, Celexa 40mg

Oh this is a biggie for me as well. I'm not on risperdal, but I think it's just the depression I'm going through, when it triggers my social phobia. It feels like I've lost all my confidence, and simple conversation, like you say, is really hard. I'm at work, on my break, and I've been like it all morning. It's excruciating - nodding endlessly and the awkward silences. I just want to run away and be by myself.

Of course this begs the question, is it the med or the dx?

My kneejerk reaction is to go with the dx.

Making conversation is really, if anything, a learned habit. For years I was socially awkward and it was hard, and only thorugh some serious breakthroughs in college did it really become easier. I really don't think one can blame meds unless they seem to totally burn out your thinking circuits, but then you can only tell if you were a good conversationalist beforehand.

Personally I still sometimes just nod and say "yup". I either have nothing to add or just don't bother, or there's just too many blowhards I just can't break in on. (really, some people just can't stand to hear anyone else talk...)

Of course this begs the question, is it the med or the dx?

My kneejerk reaction is to go with the dx.

Yeah I agree. Though I think some meds that are activating, and can make you a bit edgy or anxious, can accentuate the social anxiety.

or there's just too many blowhards I just can't break in on. (really, some people just can't stand to hear anyone else talk...)

That's one of my pet hates. I don't have much time for people who cannot listen, and will rant endlessly, loving the sound of their own voice. I've been quite upfront about it with some people that I know, and sometimes it gets them to learn how to put a sock it in for awhile.

I get this way at times. It's usually my mood. When I'm depressed, I just don't have anything to say. I don't want to participate in the conversation or else I plain don't care. Other times, I'm paranoid and anxious that what I have to say is stupid and useless. Then, sometimes I'm on my way up to manic and feel like I'm sitting outside myself and don't trust what I have to say.

Then again, I've been medicated for mania/anxiety or just plain having new med side effects or withdrawals and have had limited social skills and abilities. I'll feel high at times and think I'll sound high if I talk. Or I'm just plain clueless.

Evidentally, there is a myriad of reasons I have a hard time making conversation. Staying alone makes it so much easier at times. ;)

Oreo

I find the opposite to be true. For me Risperdal calms me down to the point that it is easier for me to make conversation with people around me. I currently take 2mg as needed, and before it puts me to sleep it make me more open to talk about what's on my mind. It assists me in letting my guard down around other people.

It assists me in letting my guard down around other people.

Heh, yeah, can't wait til I get my refill to start up again--I'm afraid to talk to people cuz without the calming influence I have to keep my guard up or I might go batshit crazy on the damn fools.

Archived