CrazyBoards.org

advice on being honest about adult ADHD

I was seeing my shrink today and we were discussing med changes

I brought up the fact that i am incredibly frustrated with my inability to 'calm my thoughts' - they race and race.

I work with special needs kids and blurted out something about how i can relate to the kids with ADHD / ADD in that sense - although i am an adult i see myself doing similar behaviors to them.

I have noticed this before many many times - and my doctor out right asked me do i think i have ADHD given the list of symptoms i have to match the dsm criteria.

Of course at this point i freaked out and back tracked - partly cause i dont think i could handle another DX and partly i just dont want to deal with it at all - too much already on my plate.

I realise this is very silly - if i do have it, which appears quite likely then its illogical to not admit this to my doc and get the help i need.

I wont list a whole lot of behaviors and ask you to play doctor. I know in my heart of hearts, and from working with a wide range of kids with disabilities and add/adhd that i have a lot of indicators i can check off. I was an average student, completed uni, never did overly well cause i cant read, not even kids books without becoming distracted, i often cant speak fluently as i have lost my train of thought cause something better has come into my head and on and on the list goes, i wont bore u.

My question is - i dont see my doc for 2 weeks now, after seeing him today. I hate it when i do this, i leave and go 'damn should of told the truth'. I have discussed it with my SO and parents and they agree i have these behaviors. should i wait 2 weeks to speak to him or should i see if i can get an email or early appointment or something to discuss this. I have a good relationship with him.

I have been suicidal last few weeks as i am not coping well with everything, my doc knows this and has increased meds and was why the ADHD issue was brought up, all of this together is kind of why i hesitate to wait. I dunno, what do you think??

I dunno, what do you think??

I'd go with the usual advice: print out your post and hand it to your doctor.

It's a good concrete reminder of what you might want to talk about, so there's a better chance that the idea won't just fly out of your head as soon as you're asked "So how have you been doing?" And, if it really is a bit hard to talk about just now, he can read it (and ask direct questions of his own) without requiring that whole "opening the discussion, blah-blah-blah, close discussion, next topic" bit that's always so hard to keep track of.

hey IV,

I'm will null0--

this seems like the perfect example of when printing a post for the doctor is a really good plan.

having the initial conversation is hard enough, but then when you have to open the same topic again it gets even harder to keep track of and it'll make it simpler and more concrete for both of you to have these thoughts so clearly in writing.

I'm kinda relieved to hear that other people have an issue with accidentally lying to their doctor-- it's not a decision that you make, but before you know it, sometimes things get backtracked a bit or something goes unsaid that you really need to bring up. it's really good that you are calling yourself on it and want to make it right asap-- it sounds like you have a doctor that will understand and help you through it

luck,

m

just to update for you

my avoidance of the issue when my doctor brought it up wise kind of in fear, i went from just venting my feelings of frustration with ADHD like symptoms - to having my dr turn around and say - well hey maybe you are??? I got a little freaked out and shut down and started spitting out 'denial talk' - which im guessing would be a common reaction.

So my dr gave me a script for a month of Duromine (phentermine) - he said it would help with my weight issue and as no anti depressants other the wellbutrin have ever worked for me - this might be something new to relieve symptoms.

I went home thinking this was, i dunno, not an anti-depressant but along the lines of dex meds. Then i read the PI sheet he gave me, look it up on net, and see it is like a weight loss drug. Didnt really see anything about it doing anything else. now im kind of confused. im not obese, im not even over weight - but have gained a very unhealthy amount of weight quickly in last few months - which i guess mite be why i have this script - a months worth to get this weight off and get my focus back on dealing with other issues (this is my guess i dont know what this med does other then weight loss)

Im really confused at the moment - i have so much trouble processing thoughts anyways - would appreciate if anyone can give me their understanding of this.

How does a conversation about weight and mainly about ADHD symptoms lead to a script for this?

Was my dismissive response to his outright question about ADHD stopping me getting the right kind of med help?

I asked my SO and mother to go through this, once again they see the symptoms there, and obviously my dr did too.

Sorry if i am rambling - i am just confused - i cant see the links between this med and my symptoms.

I really trust my dr and will call and ask him, but he wont be in til monday - and this hardly constitutes an emergency.

Thanks again.

I'm not obese, im not even over weight - but have gained a very unhealthy amount of weight quickly in last few months - which i guess mite be why i have this script - a months worth to get this weight off and get my focus back on dealing with other issues (this is my guess i dont know what this med does other then weight loss)

"Unhealthy rapid weight gain" that maybe can be stopped with a short course of phentermine does sound like a solid reason to prescribe. It's related to amphetamine, but the last time I looked I got the impression that the anorectic effects far outweighed the other psychostimulant effects... It probably cannot be used long-term the way amphetamine and methylphenidate are.

Still, if you also get some relief from the ADHD-like symptoms, then you both have a positive basis on which to proceed to less anorectic meds. If not, no harm, no foul.

i think null0 is on the right track, but i'd go one further.

maybe try writing an 'open letter' with a minimum of re-writing and edits.

explain how you feel about your racing thoughts.

then hand it to your pdoc.

another thing u might try is reading more posts on ADD. find one or two that really seem spot-on and print them out. hand this to your pdoc.

I know that ritalin (concerta) was life-changing for me. in small amounts and keeping an eye on dependance potential, ritalin WORKS. at least for me.

let those printed words do the talking.

maybe try writing an 'open letter' with a minimum of re-writing and edits.

explain how you feel about your racing thoughts.

"racing thoughts" is one of those way-too-vague terms I have a problem with. As a bipolar symptom, my impression is that they're looking for a manic stream of ideas and thoughts that start, are developed, and then discarded, one after the other in a pressured rush or more, more, more - the mental equivalent of trying to drink from a fire hydrant.

What seems to come with ADD is a nonstop, semirandom walk along a web of interrelated ideas and concepts, asides, re-runs of how conversations should have gone, jokes, to-do lists, song lyrics - like your brain just won't fucking shut up (and let you get to sleep.)

I have to wonder if there isn't a spectrum that includes the above, along with the disconnected, completely random walk of schizophrenic "disorganized thought." In all three cases, attempting to directly convey one's thought processes usually leaves a "normal" person dumbfounded, speechless, and just a little afraid.

Thx for your replies

I spoke to my doc today - just on the phone briefly - to address in short form my concerns and to check the daily dose

He said that the med is to be taken daily as part of a 30day trial - he choose this med as he wants to look at the use of a stimulant type drug to treat my 'on going' systems and the fact that i have been rather distressed about the rapid weight gain a drug like this would basically kill 2 birds with one stone (or attempt to) ----> Btw just so u know i am paraphrasing his words lol he didn't use that bird example. If i have success i will go off this med and on to another stimulant that can be used as a more long term thing then this one.

This all kind of makes sense to me in around about way and maybe if i put it down here i will get it.

I have bipolar and have been manic a few times - this kind of 'racing thought' like null was saying is very different for me. to what the doc and i both see as possible adhd like symptoms.

In short this sort of thinking is scattered, random, normally off topic, impacts my ability to have conversations (i either go off topic half way through, when i think of something suddenly i find much more interesting, even if i initiated the topic - i can cut out mid sentence) same thing happens when others talk to me, i go into another world, and can miss the whole point, i here lately nearly everyday people say 'are you listening to me?' - the answer is always no, but at least this allows me to refocus somewhat.

Im not going to list of 500 differences but let me just say with bipolar racing thoughts for me its a lot of incredibly awesome ideas that flood my head, i get fixated on them, i don't want to listen to people cause i think my idea is much more important then theirs, so i cut them off, or ignore them - because at that point i am incredibly smart (in my head)

I agree with nulls descriptions of the two - for me the two are very different. Hence why despite my other medication, like lithium, controlling my other bp symptoms. These above described issues have not been helped by bipolar meds etc etc.

So yeah my doc knows my concerns now, and he reassured me this was what he was thinking and why he was trialling it. Being honest was kind of easier then i thought. Oh and just so u know - have been on meds more then a few days now and my thinking is already a little less disjointed - more focused. so heres hoping.

In short this sort of thinking is scattered, random, normally off topic, impacts my ability to have conversations (i either go off topic half way through, when i think of something suddenly i find much more interesting, even if i initiated the topic - i can cut out mid sentence) same thing happens when others talk to me, i go into another world, and can miss the whole point, i here lately nearly everyday people say 'are you listening to me?' - the answer is always no, but at least this allows me to refocus somewhat.

I can relate to that. Many people who have to deal with me wish I didn't.

Im not going to list of 500 differences but let me just say with bipolar racing thoughts for me its a lot of incredibly awesome ideas that flood my head, i get fixated on them, i don't want to listen to people cause i think my idea is much more important then theirs, so i cut them off, or ignore them - because at that point i am incredibly smart (in my head)

Huh.

I was wondering what the bipolar "racing thoughts" actually feels like. Thanks for the description!

I cut people off too, but sometimes it's *so* hard to hold on to what it is you're trying to get said before it's deleted that the only thing left to do is to tell them to shut up! and let you speak for a bit. Meanwhile, the whole concept is squirming like a puppy trying to avoid a bath ... ;)

Anyway, let's hope this all works for you!

Archived