CrazyBoards.org

Spaced out on going to work. Again. What do I do?

Guest Obieland

I'm a preschool teacher, it's part-time, but it's my only job.

I'm really good at teaching, and I love all the kids... but I missed work today. Again. I spaced out through my alarm, and didn't wake up until I was already terribly late, and then I was so embarrassed that I hid under my covers and spaced out to avoid my own stupidity until it was too late to go at all! It's such a lame, passive, lame thing to do.

I've already done this two or three times, before I went off my adderall -- I've been off for a few weeks, in part because I thought it'd be easier to wake up in the morning without the adderall withdrawal and adderall-induced insomnia of doom... but now that it's here in writing that looks like a really dumb strategy, and possibly bullshit.

When I missed work before, I let people assume that I was sick, which is sort of true I guess, or I chalked it up to my insomnia, which they know about.

But it's terribly unprofessional and not what good teachers do! The people at work are laid-back and I don't think I'll get fired for it or anything, but they/I do think we ought to be professional, and I feel awful about leaving everyone high and dry today. Whenever somebody is out, there is a mad scramble to find enough coverage, and I didn't even call in sick and give them any warning, I just didn't show up!

argh.

Sorry this is long.

What should I say when I go in tomorrow, and what should I do to prevent myself from doing this again?

I have 2 alarm clocks and a clock radio for those times when I absolutely have to get up on time. a good 4th backup would be a lamp with a timer to prime your body for sun up.

a.m.

p.s. You are on your own for excuses/apologies, kiddo! ;)

I've already done this two or three times, before I went off my adderall -- I've been off for a few weeks, in part because I thought it'd be easier to wake up in the morning without the adderall withdrawal and adderall-induced insomnia of doom... but now that it's here in writing that looks like a really dumb strategy, and possibly bullshit.

To me, this is the key section of your post. I think that alarm clocks and other wake-up devices are fine, but it sounds like you need to discuss meds with your pdoc again. Maybe there's another drug you could take that doesn't have the side effects of adderall?

And having trouble getting up in the morning for a job that you love-----well, sounds like an issue to discuss with your tdoc.

Just my usual (bossy) 2

I had a hard time getting out of bed for work forever. I hated calling in sick to my boss. There were times I didn't call in and totally hid out. And I'm a manager of residential program who is suppose to be available. I ended up leaving work on temporary disability for a few months.

I started getting up at a regular time every morning, 8am a few weeks before I went back to work. Since I've been back to work, I get up between 5:45-6a on weekdays & 6:45-7a on weekends all the time. I go to bed about the same time every night. I always use two alarms. I use a clock radio and my cell phone alarm. (Don't get me wrong, I love to read and take afternoon naps at different times.)

This suggestion came from the book, Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder. Of course, it's regularly mentioned every where else anyways, but it didn't click before now. I'm also eating a healthier diet and using a light therapy lamp in the morning--for less time this time of year (again suggestions from the book). I have more routine in my life which definitely helps.

I continue to see my pdoc & tdoc. I've actually reduced some of my medications working together with my pdoc. So far so good. ;) (Knock on wood.)

Talk to your pdoc. Try to work on a sleep schedule.

Good luck.

Oreo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Obieland

Turned out it wasn't a big deal at all, of course.

Reading this again, I really sound like a kid caught with my hand in a cookie jar; I must've been kinda freaking out. hah! Thanks for the comments, and for putting up with my goofiness. ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Turned out it wasn't a big deal at all, of course.

Reading this again, I really sound like a kid caught with my hand in a cookie jar; I must've been kinda freaking out. hah! Thanks for the comments, and for putting up with my goofiness. ^^

Well, not everyone gets cut slack on stuff like that, so I can understand your concern. Are you sure that the Adderall insomnia isn't just from the stuff wearing off? Like, if you took a quarter or an eighth of what you take in the morning, just before you went to bed, perhaps it would help you drift off? I know I fall asleep best just after I've had a bit of Adderall or Dexedrine. Not very much, though. Or, in the AM I'll wake up with my thoughts going 78 rpm and I'll take a fraction of the normal amount and be able to sleep another hour.

Archived