CrazyBoards.org

So i went to a base ball game today and autism speaks had a stand and i asked the guy what their all about and he says "were not for autism, were against it. we dont want it to be around anymore." I said so you think autistic people arent good enough to be around. he says we just think they should be like everyone else. what the fuck. maybe they should cure normalcy instead i told him. ;)

So i went to a base ball game today and autism speaks had a stand and i asked the guy what their all about and he says "were not for autism, were against it. we dont want it to be around anymore." I said so you think autistic people arent good enough to be around. he says we just think they should be like everyone else. what the fuck. maybe they should cure normalcy instead i told him. :)

that's really horrible. sorry you had to hear that from someone who you would THINK would know better... ugh. idiots.

maybe next time you can round up a bunch of folks and reserve a stand that says "normalcy speaks" and then tell anyone who asks that it's there to tell everyone who has never been diagnosed with anything that they royally SUCK - and that we don't want their company until they're "cured". ;)

- rita

Lets not get wrapped around the tree here.

I don't think they are "against people with autism" any more than the Diabetes Foundation is against diabetics or the Cancer Association is against people with cancer. They advocating better treatment and support for people with the illness, and for promoting research for treatment and possible cures.

a.m.

Frankly I think the whole issue is overblown. It's just that autism is the illness de jour. *shrug*

I can see why you were a little upset. It's kind of like that guy said you are a freak and you should not exist. I would have been upset, too.

I think Autism Speaks has good intentions, but yeah, it sounds like their organization is more to help parents than to help people with autism...

So i went to a base ball game today and autism speaks had a stand and i asked the guy what their all about and he says "were not for autism, were against it. we dont want it to be around anymore." I said so you think autistic people arent good enough to be around. he says we just think they should be like everyone else. what the fuck. maybe they should cure normalcy instead i told him. ;)

I can really really understand your reaction, I'd have felt the same. Kind of reminds me about the attitudes of many of the MMR-causes-autism lot - just hold still we'll chelate you and you'll be fine then. Oh you died? Never mind, you wouldn't have wanted to go on living like that anyway.

This scenario just strikes me as sad and disturbing. SenatorCarl, I'm sorry you had to go through that kind of crap. Did the guy know you were autistic? He may have given more respect for you, this way (though I'm not sure), since we "HFAs" tend to be more respected in the community... well, okay, I've gotten some respect from my knowledge in narrow interests. We're not the kind who cannot verbally communicate at all, nor are we categorized as "idiot savants".

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of lower-functioning autistics that are quite happy where they are (WZ, maybe you can comment on Max regarding this).

Also, WZ, I strongly do NOT recommend having Max stay over at this guy's house, it'll probably make the idiot even more 'curebie'. ;)

Hee hee hee...

You're right Foss...as usual...but it would be fun watching him break all this guy's shit...chewing all his expensive electronics...changing his computer desktop and browser presets to the Disney channel...turning his couch to kindling as he bounces on it....

Did the guy know you were autistic? He may have given more respect for you, this way (though I'm not sure), since we "HFAs" tend to be more respected in the community

I told him i have aspergers after he said that. His reaction was "do you have a job?"

Well. THAT was amazingly stupid.

Did the guy know you were autistic? He may have given more respect for you, this way (though I'm not sure), since we "HFAs" tend to be more respected in the community

I told him i have aspergers after he said that. His reaction was "do you have a job?"

A not unreasonable question to anyone of any age!

I'm gonna be really unsupportive, but I don't think you were being persecuted in this conversation. Your attitude and personal bias may be greatly coloring how this exchange is interpreted and related to us.

a.m.

I'm gonna be really unsupportive, but I don't think you were being persecuted in this conversation. Your attitude and personal bias may be greatly coloring how this exchange is interpreted and related to us.

a.m.

wow.

Yeah, right.

Here in the U.S. there are "child labor" laws as well as provisions for disability or retirement. Some companies even have age-related mandatory retirement policies. In general, it's not a reasonable question to someone under 15 or over 70, and rather insulting to ask of a "stay at home" mother.

The US unemployment rate was running 5.0% in April 2008. The odds run 19:1 that it would be more appropriate to ask someone of employable age "What do you do for a living?"

For someone of secondary school or college age, it's still more reasonable to ask "Do you need a job?" but in terribly poor taste if one does not have a job, or information on obtaining one, to offer in return for a positive answer.

Yes, it is poor taste to doubt (to their face) if someone has a job.

However, if people see me when I'm really tired (by then the bug's taken over my brain hardcore), I'm stooped and wobbly walking like an old man who needs a cane. Yes, I'm 24 and look a bit younger than that, and trust me, if I were in any situation similar to that (but with respect to my physical disability), I'd probably get asked too if I had a job.

(And no, I don't, at least for now.)

In SenatorCarl's position, I'd have probably lied. If this anti-autism idiot knows anything about Asperger, he'd know that Aspies have intense narrow fields of interest. Such as rocket science. ;)

That all said, A.M., as a fellow person who inadvertently pisses people off, I do have to warn you that what you said (especially in this "autie space" you have described in this subforum's rulebook) can be taken as extremely offensive, so you might have some 'splainin to do in the near future lest we have anything go down in flames.

hi all,

AM wrote:

a.m.

caveat - im recovering from surgery. and i dont know much about "autism speaks." however, when a stranger asks: "do you have a job?" i say "im on a break." its not their business that im on ssdi.

and i have another question - we (as in CB members) pick and choose who to support? i need guidelines on who gets "supported."

db

and i have another question - we (as in CB members) pick and choose who to support? i need guidelines on who gets "supported."

db

Well, you don't agree with everyone's opinions and get along with everyone, so why would you like everyone? You probably don't support the ideals and principals of all organizations, so why would you support them all?

Who gets supported is who YOU agree with.

I was watching this thing on television and part of it was on Jenny McCarthy and her child. And I quote "...but for Jenny McCarthy, the nightmare didn't begin until two years later. [afte the birth of her child]" The "nightmare" they are referring to? Autism.

Why would you refer to it like that? Fuck you and the fucking horse you came in on. It made me want to cry.

a.m.

Ok. I'm going to say I TOTALLY DON'T AGREE with you here, AM. It's not an appropriate question to randomly ask someone. I sincerely doubt that the guy would be asking someone else if they had a job. In that situation, is that a question that pops into your head and that you feel is appropriate to vocalize?

But you know, Aspies don't know what they are talking about when referring to social exchanges EVER, right?

Pick some rules.

I thought it was we HFA/Aspie/PDD-NOS/whatever types who had difficulties in social communication and "tact" in general. I'm starting to see that this, as a whole (problem), isn't the case, and that "NTs" also have some issues in sensitivity towards others. Namely, in this case, 'others' being autistics.

I wouldn't hesitate to tell the 'autism-speaks' idiot that I was a "neuroscience researcher" (that being my last job, and I was a "research associate" technically, i.e., a pipette monkey, but really, what do those types (a biologist such as AM notwithstanding) know?). And I'd tell that autism speaks idiot that I'm an autistic speaking, and he'd better get used to it.

I'm starting to wonder if MacOS X has an asbestos firewall available.

Archived