CrazyBoards.org

Fresh Meat

Hey all. I am Michelle C. i am 22 yrs old. I am quote BiPolar. I am on Lamictal 200, Zoloft 100 and Invega 3. I am trying to figure which one is causing the weight gain? i just started invega so can't be that. is it the lamictal. thanks for reading!!!! btw I love this site. ;)

Hey all. I am Michelle C. i am 22 yrs old. I am quote BiPolar. I am on Lamictal 200, Zoloft 100 and Invega 3. I am trying to figure which one is causing the weight gain? i just started invega so can't be that. is it the lamictal. thanks for reading!!!! btw I love this site. ;)

Hmmm... guess my money is on the Zoloft, but then I know diddly about Invega :)

Lamictal's supposed to be weight neutral ...but you never know I guess. I'm hoping it is as I've just started it recently and previous meds made me put on a hella lot.

Theres a helpful recent post around here about meds and weight gain, that might be worth having a squizz at.

Welcome to the board, hope to see you around

Hi Michelle!

Welcome to the board!

Occasionally, I have heard people say that Lamictal has caused a minimal amount of weight gain [but not much] due to carbohydrate cravings. I haven't read any studies on this however and in general it is weight neutral and does not cause weight gain. My feeling also is that it is probably the Zoloft if you just started the Invega.

But there are things you can do to combat it.

Keep LOTS of fresh veggies around. I find carrots to be the best because they are a little bit sweet. Grapes and berries or apples are also good.

Also, keeping a food journal will help you keep track of what you are actually eating every day versus what you think you are eating. It can sometimes get away from us if we are hungry a lot or just don't feel as full as usual.

Fitday.com is a neat place to keep track of what you are eating. Some people on the board use it and find it very helpful.

Luna.

• 1 month later...

I am old enough to have had three completely different diagnoses,low functioning autism,childhood onset simple schizophrenia,and schizotypal personality disorder.I may be getting yet another one soon, as I am getting a whole new evaluation.I have two sisters,both of whom were diagnosed with more typical childhood onset schizophrenia.One is able to function seminormally,the other is completely disabled.We all have many additional medical problems,including idopathic seizure disorders,idiopathic arthritis,and chronic meningitis.I have had issues with dementia ever since I was a little kid.Sort of like Pick's,but it comes and goes.

I had an acute bout of meningitis last year.It gave me a new intracranial seizure disorder,that nobody can figure out,and spells of unipolar mania.I started headbanging again,for the first time in years.

Oh yeah,I also have either fertile eunuch syndrome,or pituitary hypoginadism,which I have chosen not to "correct".

This place looks like a lot of fun.

Hey all. I am Michelle C. i am 22 yrs old. I am quote BiPolar. I am on Lamictal 200, Zoloft 100 and Invega 3. I am trying to figure which one is causing the weight gain? i just started invega so can't be that. is it the lamictal. thanks for reading!!!! btw I love this site. :)

hey michelle,

welcome to cb ^_^

I'm meg, am 21, "depressive" says one "bipolar" says another-- and hey, guess what? am taking lamictal and zoloft as well (wellbutrin and adderall too) and go to school in savannah, ga (hope to get to atlanta sometime this school year)...so, we have an odd amount in common just based on these few sentances.

I don't know why I think that's fun, probably mostly because am a dork :)

anyway, beyond that, I've been taking zoloft for almost two years now and that'd be my bet with the weight gain as well. of course, (and you'll hear this a lot here) everyone reacts to meds differently, but zoloft (and ssri's in general) are better known for the weight-gain thing. also, I haven't noticed any weight gain with the lamictal (been about 6 months), in fact I lost about 5 more off of the 40 I had dropped before starting it. am exhausted, so can't give you many more tips now-- but the biggest ones I have about the weight gain: eat regularly (several small meals, don't wait until late in the day to finally eat something), and drink water like a fish.

lots of protien, lots of water.

goodluck, see you around the boards, sorry for being so tired and rambly ;)

m

edited to add:

hey crazycommie,

you might want to add this kind of post to the 'introductions' board as a *new* post that is entirely your own rather than adding it onto michelle's post here. you'll get more responses and it's better online 'manners' to start your own conversation rather than interrupting another one (even unintentionally)-- that said, welcome to cb, hope to see more posts from you

Archived