CrazyBoards.org

Sleep cycle

I had a sleep cycle. I worked very hard to set it up, and I kept at it for nearly three years. I think it is what kept me from going over the edge during the madness last year (yes, I was even able to keep a rough cycle through all of that - most of the time). Up until recently... I think about two weeks ago? maybe a month ago?

Anyway, I would faithfully turn everything off by 10:00pm - 11:00pm at the latest, and get up by 6:30am, 7:00am. I was very strict with myself about this. If my work schedule had me working past eleven, I gave myself an hour, and then it was off to bed, and I would make sure I had at least seven hours of sleep, but no more than eight. Seven hours seems to be my golden number, more than eight and I'm groggy all day, less than seven and I'm tired all day.

Lately, I can't seem to keep a sleep schedule. I tell myself to go to bed, then something distracts me, and bam! it's midnight-thirty. WTF? That's the way I used to be before I set myself to this sleep schedule. It's pissing me off that I'm falling back into bad habits. (For example, it's nearly midnight now, and I'm still up. grrr)

I set my alarm for 6:30am, but lately I've been turning it off and going right back to sleep. That's just not like me, I'm a "get up and out the door" kind of person, twenty minutes - half an hour, tops - even with a shower.

So why is my brain arguing with itself? and why is it losing??? I know what's good for me, and I know how to do it - I've done it before, but getting myself to do it... that seems to be the hard part. What the hell is wrong with me? arrrggghhh!

It's your circadian rhythm. You body doesn't want to sleep at 10:00 pm, it wants to stay up! The days are getting a bit longer, which I doubt is helping. If you are not naturally inclined to sleep at an earlier time, than it's going to take some effort to go to sleep at an early time. That simple.

You got a little off-track. No big deal. Just try to relax and go back to going to bed between 10:00 and 11:00. Don't worry, you'll be able to sleep earlier again. If Seroquel isn't knocking you out and you've exhausted all good sleep hygiene techniques, maybe consider a sleep aid.

If you have some money to throw around, a dawn/sunset simulator can be helpful.

i've no good advice, just commiseration. i work hard at keeping a strict sleep schedule too. mine has also fallen apart recently and i can't figure out why, either. it really does make you paranoid about "wtf is my brain doing?", huh. i know i am.

- rita

I do the same thing, I just had to figure out the activities that made me likely to stay up past my bedtime and make sure to not start them if it was after XX:00. For example, if it is after 8:30 I do NOT get on the computer, b/c if I do I will get sucked in and be on it until 12:30 in the morning. Not good. I also don't start reading good novels unless I have at least 3 hours before bedtime b/c I will stay up until 2:30 in the morning reading a good book.

Hope you can get back on schedule soon!

• 1 month later...

*bump*

I am also looking for hints as to how to create a sleep cycle. I need to impose a regular sleep cycle by the time school starts in August (ie waking up at 7:30 five days a week).

Basically I think I am just very lacking in self-discipline. I can ignore alarms and sleep in simply because it's cold and I don't wanna get up. I wake up at odd hours and spend an hour twisting and turning in bed, trying and failing to go back to sleep.

Basically, my sleep is all over the place. I need to fix it badly. If I don't I will keep missing my morning classes again, and will fuck up another semester which would be my last. Is self-discipline what I need?

Are there any tricks in imposing a sleep cycle? Would it be healthy if I pop an ambien at 11pm every week-night? (Would that even work?)

r.

I realized that my sleep pattern was thrown off because I stopped listening to music at night. Go figure. Something as simple as that. I couldn't get a decent radio station, so I wasn't listening to music. I solved that by downloading some favorite tunes (ambient for nighttime) and some "brain wave" sleep music for those nights when I *really* can't sleep.

Now I'm doing okay in the sleep area... When I don't go gallivanting with my friends (I really have to work on getting *home* before 11!).

I would love to be able to keep a sleep schedule, but I never have been able to. Most people don't realize those of us with Narcolepsy also usually suffer from some sort of insomnia. I mean, our sleep switch is broken, so it makes sense.

Keeping a schedule is one key thing they suggeset for Narcolepy, but my body tends to ignore this advice. It's like it has its own rules about when I will and won't sleep. I sleep when I want to be awake and am awake when I want to sleep. Sometimes I want to just pull my hair out. I've tried almost everything under the sun, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Going to bed at the same time never has worked for me because some nights my body just refuses to fall asleep. Other nights I crash and burn early.

Congrats on finding something that has worked for you. Even the brain wave tapes won't help me sleep unless my brain says it's ok. How messed up is that? Grrr.

Happened again last night! ARGH! This is most frustrating.

Been intending to get the same things done since Monday. Now it's 4pm Tuesday and nothing's done (because I woke up late). Next opportunity would be Thursday.

Valium + Ambien combo last night, to fall asleep at 4am. I just cannot seem to wake up with anything less than 10 hours' sleep (got 11hrs last night).

I need to be able to get up in the morning, goddammit!

rb.

I had a sleep cycle. I worked very hard to set it up, and I kept at it for nearly three years. I think it is what kept me from going over the edge during the madness last year (yes, I was even able to keep a rough cycle through all of that - most of the time). Up until recently... I think about two weeks ago? maybe a month ago?

Avoid the computer in the evening like it's the plague! That's how I got my sleep cycle back. The damn blue light from the computer is a killer. I turn my computer off by 9:00 PM each night now no matter what. I swear it's been the most helpful thing of all.

This might be a stupid question, but how much caffeine are you all drinking? Coke, diet coke, coffee and tea can build up in your system and mess up your sleep cycle pretty bad. You definitely shouldn't be drinking after 6PM if you want to sleep, and ...

Man, I really hate when I sound like a mother or a vegetarian or a health nut, not that I'm any of these things but ... serious, over 2 or 3 cups / cans a day and you're asking for what ends up being delayed sleep phase cycle, cause you can't get to sleep before 3 to 6 am before the caffeine wears off!

And, if you've been doing this and saying "ah, hell, I've been doing it for years," the years wear you down and suddenly you can't sustain it. Hell, in your 20s you could drink black cows (coffee + vodka) all night, then sleep and get up for work or college, but, again, you can't sustain that forever.

I don't drink soda (topamax side effect and I don't drink anything w/high fructose corn syrup), but I do get some caffeine from coffee and tea. However, since I do most of my coffee/tea drinking at the university - usually one to three 12oz cups a day - but then I'm generally done by 3 pm. I tend to drink water or juice at home... If I do have a coffee at home, it's half-caff. 'cause that's all I have here. ;)

Is naming a "disorder" sufficient to establish the nature of the sleep disruption?

I hope you can relate:

1. I can't fall asleep, and I can't wake up.

2. The former (can't sleep), I am not ashamed of. I know it's really not my fault. But the latter (can't wake up), well, could it be just a self-discipline thing (for me at least)? I mean, doesn't everyone "normal" struggle to get up at 7am to go to work also?

I do not keep a cycle normally, but I guess I can be compelled to (eg work/school). Is it just a pattern of staying up too late and not being able to get out of bed, and the vicious cycle that promotes the disruption?

Sorry for thread hijacking

Archived