CrazyBoards.org

elderly ipod getting ready to give out

I wonder whether it might even be worthwhile to get the battery replaced. It is an older-generation nano (the skinny silver style with no photo or video); and its replacement battery could turn out to cost nearly the original price of the device.

If I should replace it with a cheaper brand of MP3 player, can I still tune into all my beloved old-fashioned radio podcasts?

I wonder whether it might even be worthwhile to get the battery replaced. It is an older-generation nano (the skinny silver style with no photo or video); and its replacement battery could turn out to cost nearly the original price of the device.

You can generally get third-party replacement batteries for under $30 these days (sometimes well under) for a lot of the models, from what I've heard. A lot of them even include instructions and tools to replace them yourself. It's not quite as easy as just pulling out one that's meant to be replaceable, but enough people have iPods that there's a pretty large market/community of people selling replacement parts or who will do it for you relatively cheaply, so that's at least an option.

As far as what you would and wouldn't be able to listen to with something else, most new things will support most formats just fine. I don't think it's possible to buy something that won't play MP3s, which most music and podcasts are, and almost everything new plays AAC now, too. Anything you might have bought from the iTunes Store will not work on anything else other than an iPod, though.

In my somewhat limited experience, most of the stuff that's actually good isn't all that much cheaper. With the really cheap ones, you get what you pay for. I just got a refurbished Sansa, because it was ridiculously cheap, and it's embarrassingly bad. It makes me long for the days when people killed themselves to protect their family's honor after screwing up so badly. In theory the newer models are better than this one, but it could be five times better thought out than it is and still make me want to throw it under the wheels of a passing truck every time I try to use it.

Anything you might have bought from the iTunes Store will not work on anything else other than an iPod, though.

True...but there is a work-around. Just burn it to CD an reimport to iTunes.

As for other brands, I don't have any, but I know several people who tried cheaper models or got them as gifts. They never lasted and these people have gone back on the Pod :)

I have a 1st generation mini that I still use on a regular basis. Hubby has my old 1st gen Shuffle. The Shuffle was just stepped on by my oldest son...and it still works ;)

True...but there is a work-around. Just burn it to CD an reimport to iTunes.

Depending on how picky you are about how stuff sounds, that may or may not be acceptable. Re-ripping anything like that from something that was already compressed (i.e. from anything other than the original CD) will have a loss of quality involved. It's unavoidable. Also, you have to re-enter all the tags (song name, artist, album, etc.) by hand, which is pretty obnoxious if you're doing it for more than a handful of songs.

I agree...total pain. As for quality....well...I have crappy speakers in my car and crappy headphones (Max keeps chewing up the expensive ones so it isn't worth it to buy good ones). I can't tell the difference anyway. A serious audiophile would notice though.

Archived