CrazyBoards.org

What music works when you're edgy?

I listen a lot to happy hardcore sets. I find that the beat is so intrusive and hypnotic that it does help me relax to a certain extent... i'm willing to try anything else though.

and if you want to try happy hardcore, try www.di.fm under Hardcore ;)

This is kind of a non-answer, but I can't listen to ANY music to calm me down. I used to love listening to music, and found it distracting but now, it is more painful than distracting. I wish I knew why. It just hurts my brain, and makes me MORE anxious. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, Anelize, I can relate. You are not alone on this.

Music does not always help me. There are times when my internal adrenaline and energy levels are

so intense that I need absolute silence. At this point, the best thing for me is to get moving physically.

Got to move, cannot sit still. Helps me release the tension.

I usually need to get outside. The sound of a brook, stream or waterfall really helps. Running water I find soothing.

running water is the most soothing thing I can listen to. I always make sure I get a nice nap when I go to a waterfall, because all I want to do is sleep!

so, I have a cd with really heavy rain on it and it helps me to relax. It goes for about half an hour. Apparantly it has some hidden hypnotic sounds. I put it on repeat sometimes when I sleep.

This is kind of a non-answer, but I can't listen to ANY music to calm me down. I used to love listening to music, and found it distracting but now, it is more painful than distracting. I wish I knew why. It just hurts my brain, and makes me MORE anxious. Anyone else feel this way?

Oh this is me totally. I try to tell myself, "ok, the next time you feel crappy, turn on some music." But then I get to that point and I'm too irritated to turn the music on and it makes me feel more anxious and if I hear other people in my building playing it, I'm in a "turn that shit down!" mode. I'm better off in silence. I have to be in a certain mood in order to listen to music. It usually has to be late at night after my kids go to bed.

when I need to burn off some energy I listen to Albannach, a scottish drum band (you can find them on youtube) I can't help but move when I listen to them. Meat Loafs Bat out of Hell I, II and III when I just need to relax. If I need to put a smile on my face Dean Martins Greatest hits (how you you be in a bad mood listening to "That's Amore"?).

I know I have weird tastes in music ;)

anything i know the words to- singing along helps me focus on the song, and you have to breath to sing too. ( when i'm anxious- my breathing gets all weird- probably true for most)

i'm feeling kind of old.

-for the most calming I still go for James Taylor, Carly Simon, Billy Joel, Elton John. Sade, Anita Baker, etc

show tunes are always good too. (you guys must think i'm such a geek)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to have music on every waking moment, especially when I'm alone. Right now I'm rattling around in an empty house until tomorrow and I've got the Stone Roses playing in winamp on the computer here and two radios in different parts of the house playing Saturday night party music and rock respectively. If I didn't have music on I'd feel freaked out.

When I'm depressed, I listen to Tori Amos. When I feel edgy, I listen to Emilie Autumn. Well I listen to her all the time. She's my latest obsession. I love listening to music, but sometimes, there's just times I need silence. I used to listen to music to go to bed to. Now I have to have a fan running and no music on. My ears ring, so the fan distracts me from listening to my ears ringing. Plus it helps circulate the air in my tiny bedroom.

Guest Guest

Jason Mraz "The Remedy--I won't worry my life away" helps me a lot, while saying over and over "I fully and completely accept myself" in my head. and when you want to object and say "well what about this?!! what if that happens!? i'll end up like this!" just keep reassuring yourself that whatever happens to you or someone else, you fully and completely accept yourself.

i don't like to listen to any nerve wracking music or music that mentions bad behavior like killing yourself. I want nothing but rainbows and butterflies in my head when I'm nervous. No suicidal lyrics. That stresses me out even more! A good guideline for songs are positive reassuring lyrics, like Carrie Underwood "lessons learned" or Rascall flatts "stand" or if you're not a country person, than something like "I dare you to move" i forget who it's by. any song that applies to how you feel is great. funny songs, too like "tiptoe through the tulips" by tiny tim cracks me up and lightens the mood as well as hawaiin music like "im yours" by jason mraz. (he's my fav artist, haha) hope that helps.

Archived