CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
olga

"Mad Pride" in the NY Times today

Thanks Olga, great article.

I'm now considering looking into one of the groups the article mentioned thats near me.

I still don't like being called "crazy" for having a mood disorder. Extreme, perhaps, with crazy moments. I think the whole point of groups like that fighting stigma is for people to realize they're NOT crazy.

Cool to learn about Mind Freedom International. I've been searching for alternatives - or at least a more open-minded approach - to medication.

you say crazy like it's a bad thing. *wink*

thanks for the link Olga.

nothing like a sunday with the times.

hope you read that bad boy in some sort of outside locale!

it was gorgeous today!

one of those *perfect* days.

(but I am OT ... tip toes out)

Hey, it's my thread---we can go OT if we want! Here's where I read the paper, although this photo is from 2 summers ago:

P6210066.jpg

I had my glass of seltzer and a footstool, and it was loverly. I have a sore throat today, which always signals the beginning of a cold, so that made it imperative that I laze around all afternoon, reading. heh

MG, I don't disagree with you at all. The whole 'crazy' label is such a stigma. I prefer to think of us as "mentally interesting." Well, YOU are.....I'm just crazy.

olga

ooooooooooooo beautiful spot!

(is that vinca w/ the hosta & astilbe?)

hope the sore throat is better today.

When she was hospitalized for cancer some years ago, she was lavished with flowers. During periods of mental illness, though, only good friends have reached out to her.
This one quote from the article brings home to me why it is so important to raise awareness of mental illness. why should one be so different from the other? i think all of us who have been hospitalized could have benefitted significantly if our hospitalization had been treated the same way a trip to the hospital for another "physical" ailment would have been. if i ever get hired permanently, and have HR behind me to support me should any repurcussions (sp?) arise, you can bet your sweet bippy I would be willing to start doing the work to raise awareness within my company. Edited by Tenebrae

My mother's boyfriend is proud of having ADD, and refuses to take medication for it. He can't keep secretaries because he's so miserable to work with, the only reason there are more than two-foot-wide passages throughout his rooms and hallways is the years and years of uphill work my mother put into it. The man is in his sixties and can barely carry our his duties at work without someone nursemaiding him through the process in the sense of standing there in the room and finishing his thoughts for him while he talks to himself out loud. He is often lost and confused, verbally meandering around a thought but unable to have it until someone rescues him by finishing it for him.

But he is PROUD. His ADD makes him A HUNTER. He PROTECTS THE GOOD OF THE GROUP by alerting the tribe to predators. His ADD is VALUABLE AND BENEFICIAL even though it makes everyone around him miserable, negatively affects his clients' welfare, and damages his own finances and quality of life.

Personally, I think my mental illness is a medical illness, and it would be as bizarre to be proud of being mentally ill as it would to be proud (or for that matter ashamed) of having migraines, which I also get.

he is PROUD. His ADD makes him A HUNTER. He PROTECTS THE GOOD OF THE GROUP by alerting the tribe to predators. His ADD is VALUABLE AND BENEFICIAL even though it makes everyone around him miserable, negatively affects his clients' welfare, and damages his own finances and quality of life.

I would like to alert the tribe to ....oh! Hey! Look! A puppy!

(I can so understand!)

there's a big difference between being proud, and not being ashamed. sometimes it takes tipping the scales to an extreme to find balance in the middle. i would never scream PRIDE from the rooftops about my MI. i hate it honestly. but i hate having to hide it even more. it shouldn't be that way. i shouldn't be afraid i won't get a job if someone finds out. the difference between MI and most other medical conditions is that the person isn't judged negatively for having them (with exception of course, such as AIDS), while this IS true in the case of MI. and that's not right.

Edited by Tenebrae

well, I for one am not proud of my MI, but I also try to not be ashamed. I don't want to act like it is a terrible secret for the sake of my MI 10yo son. I don't shout it from the rooftops, but it isn't a secret either. If someone 'needs to know' I tell them and the whole family knows so no big deal. I figure if people can't deal with it than I don't care to be their friend anyway!

I don't consider myself crazy (well, maybe when I'm depressed and criticizing myself), and I want to fight for my rights and the rights of the mentally ill, but I don't want to "go public." I used to be very open about my problems, but now I wish I hadn't, after all the judgement, and pre-judgement, and consequences it's caused. So, now I limit who and where I tell, although I'm fully aware that posting this here or any info on myself anywhere could be discovered at any time. I am willing to take that risk, and I'll deal with what that brings up then.

As for the name of this board, I didn't name it, and it may have been named in a self-deprecating humor sort of way, so it doesn't bother me too much. I am checking it out--wish it were more populated and people posted more often (although I'm only able to get on here every few days right now, so it probably is best that I don't have tons of posts to come back to)--but I like that I don't have to, as it says in the ToS, "walk on eggshells," around here. I hated that about another board I was on, and had some other issues with it and other boards as well. I might find things I don't like about this board, but for now, I'm trying it out.

I wuv puppies, too!!!

I think "pride" is meant more in terms of seeking awareness and tolerance than actually being proud of the fact that you're batshit. More of a "I'm not ashamed of who I am" thing, but labeling it pride is a language that people who've been listening to activists for the last 50 years understand. Besides, "mad pride" has a nice ring to it. And I like reclaiming "mad"... that mad hatter was a swell guy, er....

And I like reclaiming "mad"... that mad hatter was a swell guy, er....

That just made me think of "reclaiming cunt" from the Vagina Monologues. I should write the Batshit Crazy Monologues...

Oh oh oh oh!! I like the original meaning of "mad," also! It's so much cooler when used as "Mad Hatter" or "that girl is mad---lock her up!" or "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World." I don't like that it means "angry" now to most Americans.

And you all know why hatters were mad, right? When the hatters in the 17th and 18th and 18th centuries processed felt, they used mercury, and the fumes from the mercury damaged them neurologically.

Can we use that as an excuse??

olga

Oh oh oh oh!! I like the original meaning of "mad," also! It's so much cooler when used as "Mad Hatter" or "that girl is mad---lock her up!" or "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World." I don't like that it means "angry" now to most Americans.

And you all know why hatters were mad, right? When the hatters in the 17th and 18th and 18th centuries processed felt, they used mercury, and the fumes from the mercury damaged them neurologically.

Can we use that as an excuse??

olga

To each his own. My illness tried to kill me innumerable times. It may have also provided some of the best work and times of my life. Thanks for the excellent link. Also the Icarus Project link from the Times has a good PDF on Coming Off Pysch Meds safely, so the article is invaluable if only for that reason alone.

Me, I'm sorta still a closeted whack job but it isn't as hard as it was before to tell those I care about or who have a right to know, so they don't get broadsided by an episode......different strokes for different folks. Excellent link.

cheers

Awareness needs to be raised, lack of it leads to us working in oppressive conditions, which produces awful stigma and ignorance.

Just some random thoughts. ;)