CrazyBoards.org

Still "speeding" after all these years... part two / pot as meds.

Before you read this post maybe you should read my first one.... (as Guest_Lane_*) I guess I should have registered first maybe. After reading a few posts I decided this was the place for me ;)

But yeah, seriously... I AM ADDICTED TO STAYING AWAKE. Is this normal? I use excessive amounts of coffee and energy drinks (never more than 2-3 energy drinks per day though). I always have *such* a good day on the second day! I dont know why, but seriously I am not using anything illegal. Havent done that for years... read my first post and get to know me if you havent already.

But I have this damnable schizoaffective disorder - AND I WANT OFF THESE DAMN MEDS ALREADY. Has anyone had any *real* success with using pot? I have heard once or twice that it actually works for schizophrenia etc.... I will only take note of the posts on here that sound relatively serious and caring. Is there any value at all? Becuase my schizoaffective never kicked in until AFTER I stopped smoking weed... maybe it kept it at bay?

But REALLY I hope I meet some good folk on here who can help me sort out some of this mental SHITE - I mean I love my brain, its just a little chemical-altered is all.

Hope to hear from someone soon on this stuff.

Thanks.

(HA! I get to say it first!!!)

Unfortunately we can't really help you w/ the use of pot - This forum is for people who want to stay off drugs and for those who want to talk about their addiction. Not for talk about use of drugs as a means of self-medication. That's not what we're about. There's this whole thing that if the cops some knocking on VE's door looking for someone's IP to hunt them down (not that they are going to, but that's besides the point) that he'll give them whatever they want because he can't afford the $ or jailtime if he resists. It's a sore subject for some. Besides the fact that I can NOT imagine pot being sufficient as a medication for SZA disorder. It can lead to paranoia, BP symptoms, delusions.... general instability for the MI.

What we can converse about is your addiction to staying awake and abuse of caffeine, ginseng and red bull. None of that stuff used in excess can be good for your heart. I'm not surprised you feel it racing. (See post below for what I imagine will be one of the smarter people talking about what the actual effects are)

Let us examine why you don't want to sleep - what is it about sleep you don't like? Is it a lack of control - or night terrors? Or what is it about the day after not sleeping that you do like? Are you addicted to mania? Does it help you disassociate? What the heck do you do to pass the hours? The body needs sleep to function and it's not healthy to deprive it.

You 'want off all these damn meds already!' but you justify the 'feel good' aspects of taking 'energy drinks' (they contain 'drugs'!) and you ask about taking pot?

And you 'love your brain' ??

But you will only listen to people who sound 'caring'?

Try to read your own post objectively.

YOU'RE the one that has to be 'caring'. WE don't know you from Adam.

No matter how much we care or appear to care or appear NOT to care, YOU'R ACTIONS are the only thing that makes a difference.

I was a long time drug user and sure, at some level one could say I 'self medicated'. But that doesn't mean I am naive enough to also try to tell myself that drugs are benign!

I don't think drugs are 'evil'. If anything, I think the drug LAWS are 'evil' (except I really don't believe in 'evil'.)

But I certainly don't think wide use of drugs is 'good' either. Even RXs should be kept to a minimum.

Pot for schizoaffective? Ya' gotta be nuts! ;)

Before you read this post maybe you should read my first one.... (as Guest_Lane_*) I guess I should have registered first maybe. After reading a few posts I decided this was the place for me ;)

But yeah, seriously... I AM ADDICTED TO STAYING AWAKE. Is this normal? I use excessive amounts of coffee and energy drinks (never more than 2-3 energy drinks per day though). I always have *such* a good day on the second day! I dont know why, but seriously I am not using anything illegal. Havent done that for years... read my first post and get to know me if you havent already.

But I have this damnable schizoaffective disorder - AND I WANT OFF THESE DAMN MEDS ALREADY. Has anyone had any *real* success with using pot? I have heard once or twice that it actually works for schizophrenia etc.... I will only take note of the posts on here that sound relatively serious and caring. Is there any value at all? Becuase my schizoaffective never kicked in until AFTER I stopped smoking weed... maybe it kept it at bay?

But REALLY I hope I meet some good folk on here who can help me sort out some of this mental SHITE - I mean I love my brain, its just a little chemical-altered is all.

Hope to hear from someone soon on this stuff.

Thanks.

Thinking about using illegal stuff is indicative of your desperation. I TRULY feel for you. I've been there.

Instead of turning to something that has greater implications that you can imagine, try a new pDoc.

I hope you find relief...

tg

Thank you Supergwen for your post.

I cant say what it is that keeps me wanting to be awake, I am not afraid of sleeping; I actually believe our dreams can give us insight into our lives in some capacity, so I like to sleep, actually - for that.

Maybe it is a lack of control; because I feel I am forced into sleeping. I swear by the way that I act, talk, and get things done in general on the second day, I am meant to function in sleep-deprived mode. Today I worked 4 1/2 hours, came home and tried educating myself on the net about some MH stuff, including reading some stuff on here, gave a friend some comfort and advice, and cleaned my entire house. I have been awake for about 26 hours now and I am doing quite well. I function BETTER, I swear when I lack sleep.

My theory is that the crystal meth use actually altered my brain to the point where it got "used" to being sleep deprived and it is still acting like I'm using meth. I know that meth permanently changes your brain chemistry, so....?

I'm thinking I like the control factor - and the "mania", to be truthful is incredibly enjoyable. I have SUCH a good, easy, smooth, productive day the second day (I never stay up more than 2 days). Im probably hooked on the mania, I guess. I dont know....

Dissasociation is a term I am not familiar with except when it comes to Dextromethorphan, a hallucinogen (in the "dissasociative" class of hallucinogens)... I know what that type of dissasocation is about. Can you enlighten me here?

I pass the hours with about half productive stuff and half crap. The night hours, like from 10 pm till 6 am is where the crap fits in. Daytime hours are always *very* productive. The only thing I can really do is sit on my computer at night though :). Well, I guess I actually do educate myself quite a bit with it. But I do some crap too!

Thanks again for your post. I wish the second day feeling would be with me always. But its not and I love it so ;) and I know that is my addiction talking right there.

So yeah, the control, mania and dissasociation I would like to talk more of. Hope to hear from you soon.

AlarmClock

(HA! I get to say it first!!!)

"

What we can converse about is your addiction to staying awake and abuse of caffeine, ginseng and red bull. None of that stuff used in excess can be good for your heart. I'm not surprised you feel it racing. (See post below for what I imagine will be one of the smarter people talking about what the actual effects are)

Let us examine why you don't want to sleep - what is it about sleep you don't like? Is it a lack of control - or night terrors? Or what is it about the day after not sleeping that you do like? Are you addicted to mania? Does it help you disassociate? What the heck do you do to pass the hours? The body needs sleep to function and it's not healthy to deprive it."

I'm thinking I like the control factor - and the "mania", to be truthful is incredibly enjoyable. I have SUCH a good, easy, smooth, productive day the second day (I never stay up more than 2 days). Im probably hooked on the mania, I guess. I dont know....

I wish the second day feeling would be with me always. But its not and I love it so ;) and I know that is my addiction talking right there.

That sounds like your answer right there.

You say you're schizoaffective. Pardon my ignorance, but is that similar to bipolar? It sounds like bipolar mood/ mania chasing to me.

I've heard of people staying up all night to induce mania/reduce depression. I used to work 3rd shift sometimes years ago. I loved the buzz the next day of running on no sleep. Especially since I was sober at the time, my "imbalanced" moods were the only highs I could get.

Talking to a pdoc and telling on yourself could be helpful...if you want the help. I'm not being rude, it just seems that you are enjoying the behavior. Take my comments as you want. Just want you to feel as good as you can.

Oreo :)

;)

Not that I'm trying to be caring, but I think your question regarding marijuana is legitimate.

I say this with concern as I remember when I was in so much pain that I used it to self medicate. It is not the answer.

I consulted with two Pdocs regarding this and it was confirmed that after a short period of time, more and more of the

substance is required to obtain even a small portion of relief.

More importantly, my research revealed that it can, in fact induce psychosis, especially in the mentally ill.

I would not chance it.

Do some research. I don't think you will want to come off your meds.

Sincerely,

Sunshine Outside

Archived