CrazyBoards.org

Does the "evil weed" help at all? (For schizoaffective?)

Hi there. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective a few years back and am tired of the side effects from the meds (Epival, Bupropion, Zyprexa, Risperadol). I gain weight way too fast and sleep way too much. I was hoping to get off the meds by now, and I heard a few whispers on the interweb that marijuana *may* actually alleviate the symptoms....

Any truth to this?

I thought it might be a decent treatment option since I know the effect of pot well, I smoked it quite a bit when I was a teenager.

Just curious.

Thanks, guys.

-A.

I gain weight way too fast and sleep way too much. I was hoping to get off the meds by now, and I heard a few whispers on the interweb that marijuana *may* actually alleviate the symptoms....

This subject is a minefield...

I will tell you as someone that DID get SOME relief from treatment-resistant atypical depression it kinda worked for me.

BUT

If you're concerned about weight gain and sleeping too much, well, this is NOT a solution.

if one can use these terms, the side effect profile for delta-9 THC SUX.

- Lethargy

- Amotivation

- Hyperphagia

- Memory Loss

- Somnolence

AND the risk of mouth / throat / lung cancer / FEDERAL law enforcement - seizure of car, home, etc.

Take this from someone who truly 'felt better' on THC; this is a patch but not a fix

BTW I have NO WAY OF KNOWING how it would affect your flavor of crazy, but, again, it was my experience that it is also mildly dissociative.

do you wanna be even MORE out of your mind?

There are some severely depressed people for whom it's nearly the only anxiety-buster they can tolerate, but that's still a small minority.

Even "normal" people can end up paranoid on marijuana, so it would be unnecessarily cruel to recommend it to someone who's already schizoaffective.

i once sat by one person smoking pot and got SEVRE ANXIETY for 2 days. another time, i was standing next to the same person smoking pot ON THE STREET and again, i went totally panicy.

smoking weed + ANY psychiatric condition --► BAD

maybe it helps people which psychosomatic stuff like reaktive depression or PTSD or somethin. but IMO it's a total no no for the more like brain deases like mental problens. i mean you may end up liking it or it may even help you but its not worth the risk.

I was a major pothead for 5 years plus, smoking obscene amounts of marijuana - 20 joints a day. First thing I did in the morning, I sparked up a joint. I DID find it useful for depression, rendering even a blank room highly entertaining and laughable. But as time went on I became stuck in a hideous psychotic nightmare - thinking everyone could read my mind, my thoughts were being broadcasted over the tv, radio etc, hallucinating like fuck, paranoid everyone was out to get me and sabotage my work/studies, convinced my slightest body movements could trigger specific actions in other people, having a running voice giving commentary on my actions. This was all due to weed and IT NEVER STOPPED. I have not touched pot since sEPTEMBER 2004 and I am still as psychotic as a box of frogs. It's like walking around in a permanent horror film and 25MGS OF ZYPREXA AND 0.5 MGS OF HALOPERIDOL doesn't touch it.

Some people may gain happiness from weed if they are depressed but if you are psychotic stay the fuck away or you could end up like me - 3 psych ward admissions since 2005, being threatened with psychiatric intensive care, paranoid as hell no matter what meds you take, umpteen overdoses and self harm, just constant shit shit shit. 40 pounds verweight thanks to Zyprexa which doesnt remove my symptoms but makes them 'bearable'

Pot for the psychotic is like sticking a match on a molotov cocktail, it can only do you severe harm

blackbird

• 1 year later...

My brother got off the meds and starting smoking weed on a regular basis. He was fine for a few months but he started to relapse. He left his job and now he is a mess. He talks rudely to me and my parents. He is always trying to argue with us. He does stupid things pretending he is working by setting up "workstations" in the basement and not really doing anything. Now it is almost impossible for him to take the meds and he is constantly looking for marijuana. He is 32. Marijuana for Schizoaffective or Bi-polar people, NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Hi there. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective a few years back and am tired of the side effects from the meds (Epival, Bupropion, Zyprexa, Risperadol). I gain weight way too fast and sleep way too much. I was hoping to get off the meds by now, and I heard a few whispers on the interweb that marijuana *may* actually alleviate the symptoms....

Any truth to this?

I thought it might be a decent treatment option since I know the effect of pot well, I smoked it quite a bit when I was a teenager.

Just curious.

Thanks, guys.

-A.

does the evil weed help at all? Can´t say properly, do you really need it? Apart from any contacts it may realize do you really need it? My schyzophrenia goes on and on, i don't need a substance filling up my head when a supermarket does the same

One of my absolute worst bouts of psychotic paranoia happened to me after I smoked some pot and wound up in a Wal-Mart during Christmas shopping season.

Nope, no way for me.

I think if your brain is already pre-wired to be predisposed to MI then you should stay away from pot. Just my opinion. Hell, I'm a drinker and I know that ain't good.

But just from personal experience, I had almost a paradoxical reaction to pot. Instead of getting all goofy, happy and relaxed... I would get very agitated dysphoric and paranoid. Dispite this, I kept trying to smoke it because I wanted to fit in and wanted the happy, goofy effect all my friends got. It never happened. The paranoia stayed with me even during times between smoking it. As a teen I went around for a good chunk of time thinking everyone was plotting against me. I wonder sometimes if I made my MI worse by doing the drugs I did back then.

this is such a controversial question for so many reasons....

I can give you reasons to take it.

I can give you reasons not to take it.

There is also a LOT more to marijuana than just THC levels, and drug use in regard to MI is very "chicken/egg" when you get down to it. Even the best doctors have trouble claiming one definitively caused the other.

BUT ULTIMATELY when you weigh your decisions, bear in mind:

One of the major side effects of marijuana is an increased risk of psychosis.

You already have psychosis.

To me, the math works out to you increasing the severity of your psychotic symptoms. Meaning, no, marijuana is not a great idea. The whispers you hear are not shouts for a reason. Alcohol and pot and caffeine ALL have a rainbow of effects on every type of mental illness.

(Disclosure: I know more about the "evil weed" than most scientists or stoners, but less than many psychiatrists. PM me if you want to know more about what I think, because it's far too complex to post here. But leave the research and testing in the laboratory. Don't use yourself as the guinea pig.)

• 11 months later...
Guest miraclesmoker

I have schizoaffective disorder and take meds for it. Risperidone and lithium. That still doesn't stop the panic attacks that come with it or the jumbled thoughts that get so bad that I can't even talk. Marijuana helps me to slow things down so that I can actually deal with them. It may not work for everybody but it's been a real life saver for me.

I only smoke maybe twice a year, and it usually just makes me laugh a lot and then I get really tired and go to sleep. When I was in high school I smoked quite a bit, usually once per day, sometimes more. It always made me feel calm and relaxed, though I remember a few times where it made me feel paranoid, but those were the times when I smoked outside at night. I don't really see a difference in my symtoms (good or bad) from smoking weed.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on the person. I had bipolar disorder a year before i even touched the herb, now pretty much every day, 6 years later i can personally say it hasnt made me any better or worse. But some people with schizophrenia, schizoaffective, bipolar, etc are very prone to getting more mentally ill from it. you know how a psycotic episode is triggered by something, like stressor a trauma. well, some peoples illness will be triggered by the weed, as we all have cannabanoid receptors in the brain as some are weaker then others. one of my chuffing buddies smoked it like 3 times and now hes irreversibly schizophrenic. You have to know yourself first, be vigilant. I dont smoke with anyone anymore thanks to my social phobia (which i will admit, probably isnt helped by the weed) so i now just get horribly stoned alone. personaly i think its much more enjoyable. no paranoia, panic attacks, just nice and stoned

Weed played a big part in me deciding to get treatment.

During a really, really bad spell a concerned friend got concerned about me and swung by my house. Thinking I was depressed, he gave me a baggie, smoked with me, and left. After the second week of smoking out of it I woke up one morning and the omni-present "thing" that was always trying to take control of my body was gone. Feeling some relief I kept smoking and observed that it gave a slight relief in what I was going through. I had always thought that was I was happening to me was either a personal failing, a demon really attacking me, or "just one of those things", and to have a little relief from that was quite a shock. After a bit more of smoking and thinking about my predicament (and feeling the old feelings creeping their way back in, I started getting visuals which in the past meant that I was headed for another really bad period) I decided to bring up the subject to my doctor. We are trying APs now, and while I don't smoke anymore (I'm feeling better, and honestly I want to explore life) I appreciate the role it played in helping me get here.

I am in no way recommending it as a treatment, and it's role in encouraging psychosis is well documented, but I'm glad of the little glimpse it gave me.

• 4 months later...

Archived