CrazyBoards.org

When I was inpatient they were giving me Chloral Hydrate to sleep.

It left me with a 2 day hangover after I left (migraine level headache, unsteady on my feet, etc.)

I looked it up in my PDR and it's listed, but there's not even an entry on it. My dad told me that it's what people used when slipping people "a mickey"... so why the hell did the hospital give me something that left me that sick that isn't even really in the PDR?

Every time I've seen it used has been as the Drug of Last Resort, or if there are really odd comorbidities... but I don't see any of those on your profile.

ETA: Penny, it's alleged to have less effect on REM sleep than the benzodiazepines and other sed-hyps, but I'm finding conflicting data on that. Most of the "it doesn't suppress REM sleep" statements cite an article from 1985. More recent allusions to the drug say it does mess with REM. I can get you the full cites if you want. Googling "chloral hydrate" "clinical indications" should get you all you need.

Honestly, last time I saw it used, it was because it could be given as a suppository to a patient who was unable to swallow pills or liquids safely. The time before that it was someone who had a serious benzodiazepine addiction and was not responding to Seroquel for sleep induction. You get the idea. Drug of Last Resort.

Honestly, last time I saw it used, it was because it could be given as a suppository to a patient who was unable to swallow pills or liquids safely. The time before that it was someone who had a serious benzodiazepine addiction and was not responding to Seroquel for sleep induction. You get the idea. Drug of Last Resort.

ok odd

i mean i was there because of a xanax od. (but they didn't pull me off xanax, they kept me on it in the hospital) and my pdoc told the hospital that i had an rx for ambien cr for sleep which i asked for but they kept me on the chloral hydrate anyway (they weren't very keen on how many questions i had about things there). it wouldn't bother me if it hadn't left me so astonishingly ill after i left the hospital (i mean i literally felt like the ground was moving and i was throwing up and my head felt like it was in a vice).

so many things about that hospital didn't make sense, but why not just shoot me up with thorazine if they just wanted to knock me out?

I have a bottle of it (liquid) in my medicine cabinet. Or I used to (I might have tossed it as it was prescribed several years ago). I only took it once or twice when my insomnia was really, really bad and we'd exhausted all other sleep meds. I remember that I was prescribed 1000 mg and that it didn't do a thing for me. I was pretty bad off then, though.

Not sure if this helps... other than to know that it is still occasionally prescribed.

Archived